Sponsored by:

Issues with Red Head boxes or not? A discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 05:03 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RigTrash601
So basically they clean them up, jury rig any minor leaks, and send them on their way. ( I love all "when necessary's" there are).
None of them do anything that isn't necessary and why would they? If a box comes in with 1000 miles on it they MIGHT put new seals in it and stamp it rebuilt.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:18 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EXv10
None of them do anything that isn't necessary and why would they? If a box comes in with 1000 miles on it they MIGHT put new seals in it and stamp it rebuilt.
Just a bad way to conduct business IMO, obviously it was "shot" when they got it, remanufactured should mean just that.....or am I missing something?

Old 04-16-2014, 05:18 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
(if they don't start deleting everything)
If everyone behaves and is civil to each other, presenting their views and opinions without taking jabs at each other (this is directed at both sides, NOT at any one person or group of people) then "they" (me and Tor) won't have to clean the thread up.

Even though I quoted you Brent, I'm not speaking specifically to you. I'm just taking advantage of what you posted, to chime in on the subject and send anyone who wants to post, a very clear message. BE NICE.

There will be no pot stirring, needling, jabbing, or veiled references.

Stewart

Old 04-16-2014, 05:27 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by RigTrash601
Just a bad way to conduct business IMO, obviously it was "shot" when they got it, remanufactured should mean just that.....or am I missing something?
Yes unnecessary is unnecessary. Nobody in the rebuild biz "fixes anything that ain't broke", and rightly so. They have tolerances they go by and if it passes, it's in. I worked with rebuilt parts every day for 10 years (just thought I should add that).

Old 04-16-2014, 05:40 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Yes unnecessary is unnecessary. Nobody in the rebuild biz "fixes anything that ain't broke", and rightly so. They have tolerances they go by and if it passes, it's in. I worked with rebuilt parts every day for 10 years (just thought I should add that).
Why would they, as a business, take a core, replace just what's obviously needing replacement, and re-use what could possibly not last another 10 miles? Why not do the job right? Like I said, a bad way to conduct business, I guess honesty and integrity has no place in civilized society anymore. One thing for sure, regardless of product, when a company, or any entity operates in that fashion, they'll disappear soon enough.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:47 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Yes unnecessary is unnecessary. Nobody in the rebuild biz "fixes anything that ain't broke", and rightly so. They have tolerances they go by and if it passes, it's in.
I have to disagree with you on this statement, Brent.

If a company or individual is selling remanned equipment that is better than OEM, then some things that are weak links will get addressed and beefed up, even if it aint broke.

For example, I know for a fact that John Wood at John Wood Automotive, when rebuilding a 4R100 trans, will fix things that aint already broken inside the trans, to beef them up so the transmissions are stronger than when they were built by Ford.

Not some, ALL of the transmissions he builds gets these improvements.

I cannot speak about the Red Head steering boxes because I have never seen them being rebuilt like I have a transmission in Johns shop.

Stewart

Old 04-16-2014, 06:03 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Stewart_H

If a company or individual is selling remanned equipment that is better than OEM, then some things that are weak links will get addressed and beefed up, even if it aint broke.

For example, I know for a fact that John Wood at John Wood Automotive, when rebuilding a 4R100 trans, will fix things that aint already broken inside the trans, to beef them up so the transmissions are stronger than when they were built by Ford.

I cannot speak about the Red Head steering boxes because I have never seen them being rebuilt like I have a transmission in Johns shop.

Stewart
To go a step further here, I live in a pretty small town, there's an old guy that has an auto electric shop, he has survived all of the Napa's, AutoZones, O'Reilly's, etc.. because when you buy a rebuilt starter or altenator from him or he does any electrical work for you, you know you have a quality product, I know I'm not comparing apples to apples here, but this man doesn't advertise, his business is built soley on the fact that he doesn't cut corners, and goes the extra mile to make sure whatever he does is done 100%. You will pay more for anything with him, but well worth the money. By the way, this family has been in business a long time, my dad said it was on old business when he was a kid, my Dad is 74 years old.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:17 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If you look at the cheap boxes you see that they say they use all OEM parts including the ball bearings. If the shaft is sloppy they are simply going to install the OEM stuff and call it good, sloppy or not. I think it is worth the extra to have each shaft sized and then the appropriate ball bearings used to remove the slop..

Old 04-16-2014, 07:23 PM
rowekmr
Elder User
Thanks BigPipes and ExV10 for all the rebuilding info. It seems RedHead does the most for their process. Besides the OP have other buyers had any quality control problems or are the problems rare?

Old 04-16-2014, 07:31 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rowekmr
Thanks BigPipes and ExV10 for all the rebuilding info. It seems RedHead does the most for their process. Besides the OP have other buyers had any quality control problems or are the problems rare?
As far as I know Christina is the only one I know that has had issues...

Old 04-16-2014, 07:33 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm gonna be getting a rebuilt (if I don't rebuild my own) box one of these summers.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:34 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I love mine. If i recall correctly we had three different group buys around christmas over a span of 60 days., the group buy i was in, i believe was the largest redhead did, 45 units iirc.

Sent from my Sprint PC36100 using IB AutoGroup

Old 04-16-2014, 07:34 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Stewart_H

Stewart
I know but the average re-builder is not going to do that. Of course their are specialty shops but they aren't you're average re-builder. When I was drag racing cars there was B&M Hydro but they rebuilt PLUS. There is nothing to dis-agree with, we are talking about 2 different things.

I am only addressing re-builders of steering boxes.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:38 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
It seems that way but they also do more advertising and more hype. Christina is not the only one with a Red Head problem, I can think of at least 3 I have heard of.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:06 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
IIRC (Christine) is happy with the replacement. Even OEM new parts have a failure rate, for P3tes sake what does not have a failure rate?

(Trying to lower my swearing rate during holy week).

Quick Reply: Issues with Red Head boxes or not? A discussion