Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-07-2013, 11:58 AM
New User

bldblu is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cab bushing removal

The truck is a ford 1994 F250

I was perusing the interwebs for a way of replacing the cab mount bushings that didn't involve destroying the inner sleeve hardware. I was coming up empty. Those who have had to wrestle with pulling the sleeve apart know what I'm talking about

I gave it some thought and came up with this. It's really easy so I just had to share.

The methods I did find were.....
A.) Remove the cab and insert a longer bolt into the nut and whack away at it with a sledge hammer.

B.) Cut the sleeve in half with a sawzall. I did this on one side and welded the sleeve back together. Thats when I said to myself "This is stupid. There's got to be a better way".

Here's what is needed for the new method:
- steering wheel puller
- original bolt
- 3" PVC Schedule D coupling (The thick stuff)
- 4" Coffee can (optional I think)

1. Slice the PVC lengthwise so it can be collapsed around the bushing
2. Slice a portion of the coffee can, about enough to cover 2/3 of the PVC pipe. It just happens the coffee can Ifound worked out perfectly. Again the can may be optional. Fans of duct tape can use that or maybe use nothing at all.
3. Place the new contraption over the bushing.
4. Place the steering wheel puller over the pipe, insert the bolt into the nut portion of the sleeve and crank away.

Make sure the bolt does not thread into the steering wheel puller, The one I used happen to be big enough to let
the bolt slide freely.

Here's some pictures

Cab mount before. Sure it's rusty it's the Northeast and it was a plow truck.
Click the image to open in full size.

Tool

Tool inserted over bushing

After removal. It had no problem pulling apart the sleeves.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Post Fiend

Diesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud of
Welcome to the forum.

Not a new Idea, been around for years
Old 09-17-2013, 06:20 AM
Elder User

BigSix1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.BigSix1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldblu View Post
The truck is a ford 1994 F250

I was perusing the interwebs for a way of replacing the cab mount bushings that didn't involve destroying the inner sleeve hardware. I was coming up empty. Those who have had to wrestle with pulling the sleeve apart know what I'm talking about

I gave it some thought and came up with this. It's really easy so I just had to share.

The methods I did find were.....
A.) Remove the cab and insert a longer bolt into the nut and whack away at it with a sledge hammer.

B.) Cut the sleeve in half with a sawzall. I did this on one side and welded the sleeve back together. Thats when I said to myself "This is stupid. There's got to be a better way".

Here's what is needed for the new method:
- steering wheel puller
- original bolt
- 3" PVC Schedule D coupling (The thick stuff)
- 4" Coffee can (optional I think)

1. Slice the PVC lengthwise so it can be collapsed around the bushing
2. Slice a portion of the coffee can, about enough to cover 2/3 of the PVC pipe. It just happens the coffee can Ifound worked out perfectly. Again the can may be optional. Fans of duct tape can use that or maybe use nothing at all.
3. Place the new contraption over the bushing.
4. Place the steering wheel puller over the pipe, insert the bolt into the nut portion of the sleeve and crank away.

Make sure the bolt does not thread into the steering wheel puller, The one I used happen to be big enough to let
the bolt slide freely.

Here's some pictures

Cab mount before. Sure it's rusty it's the Northeast and it was a plow truck.

Tool

Tool inserted over bushing

After removal. It had no problem pulling apart the sleeves.
Maybe I'm dumb, or not judicious in my choice of beverage, but I'm not getting it (despite Brad's easy grasp of it). Do you have any pics of your puller hooked up? Does it pull the whole (rubber) shebang through the cab mount "perch"?

And remember--if it wasn't for questions like mine, "A" grades in school would be meaningless.

Thanks.
1997 F-250 H.D.S.C., 460, 5 spd. ZF, 4x4 ( BIG Mistake...)
Old 09-17-2013, 09:06 AM
Posting Guru

BigBlockF350 has a very good reputation on FTE.BigBlockF350 has a very good reputation on FTE.BigBlockF350 has a very good reputation on FTE.BigBlockF350 has a very good reputation on FTE.
@CollinHuber
When one of my front mounts wouldn't come loose, I just cut it out. Easy and quick.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:34 PM
Post Fiend

Diesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSix1 View Post
Maybe I'm dumb, or not judicious in my choice of beverage, but I'm not getting it (despite Brad's easy grasp of it). Do you have any pics of your puller hooked up? Does it pull the whole (rubber) shebang through the cab mount "perch"?

And remember--if it wasn't for questions like mine, "A" grades in school would be meaningless.

Thanks.
The tool I made
About 4th post down
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...csb-build.html
Old 09-18-2013, 02:13 AM
Elder User

BigSix1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.BigSix1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSix1

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad View Post
The tool I made
About 4th post down
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...csb-build.html
Brad,

VERY impressive, as always. Thank you.

I read some of the thread as well, but your talent and motivation tend to overwhelm us mere mortals. But don't think I won't PM you if I get stuck, sometime.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:20 PM
New User

Just remember there are no dumb questions and it's more than likely my choice of beverage.

The bushings are sandwiched together with a two part sleeve and what we're trying to do here is pull the sleeves apart wthout destroying them (I hear they're expensive)
Once the bottom half sleeve is out you can just pull of the bottom bushing down and away from the top half sleeve and then jack up that corner of the cab so the top bushing can be removed along with the top half sleeve.

Picture the contraption over the bushing and it's snug up against the bottom of the perch. Then hold the steering wheel puller over the PVC and Insert the bolt through the puller into the nut on the bottom sleeve and tighten. The bolt just slid through the center hole in my puller and the bolt head did not so it all just worked.

I had already pulled it apart when I realized I should have taken a "before" picture.
The last picture shows the bottom half sleeve still connected to the bolt which is through the puller.

I'm probably making it more confusing. I'll post a picture of it in action. That's all we're really missing here.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:48 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldblu View Post
Just remember there are no dumb questions and it's more than likely my choice of beverage.

The bushings are sandwiched together with a two part sleeve and what we're trying to do here is pull the sleeves apart wthout destroying them (I hear they're expensive)
Once the bottom half sleeve is out you can just pull of the bottom bushing down and away from the top half sleeve and then jack up that corner of the cab so the top bushing can be removed along with the top half sleeve.

Picture the contraption over the bushing and it's snug up against the bottom of the perch. Then hold the steering wheel puller over the PVC and Insert the bolt through the puller into the nut on the bottom sleeve and tighten. The bolt just slid through the center hole in my puller and the bolt head did not so it all just worked.

I had already pulled it apart when I realized I should have taken a "before" picture.
The last picture shows the bottom half sleeve still connected to the bolt which is through the puller.

I'm probably making it more confusing. I'll post a picture of it in action. That's all we're really missing here.
bldblu,

Thank you for your comment about "no dumb questions" and you're probably spot-on about the beverages.

And I KNOW you're right about some pictures of it "in action." Then, even I could probably grasp it. I'm having trouble visualizing the bushings at all, as I thought these were just rubber doughnuts that pushed through the perch, LIKE A GIANT GROMMET. (I capitalize not to yell, but to tell you where I'm at, comprehension-wise).

Thank you for your efforts, and all you wrote. When you get a chance, I'm sure pics will help, as you suggest.

Thanks again,

BigSix!
Old 09-19-2013, 10:03 PM
New User

Hi BigSix

Here's the much anticipated extra bonus pictures. Hope they help. I already had all the bushings removed but I stuck the the tool in place with a wrench on it anyway.

Tool in action

Upper bushing on top and lower bushing Upper sleeve on top and lower sleeve / bolt with washer. Washer is for the inside of cab.Click the image to open in full size.

Everything put together (minus the perch of course)

Tool over the assembly

What the assembly looks like. This is a bracket for the radiator support. It serves the same purpose as the cab support bracket but it's a lot smaller. You get the picture (literally).
Old 09-19-2013, 10:03 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks