Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

05 Escape CVT

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 09:57 PM
ytreffar57
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 Escape CVT

Installing a used transmission in this Escape, what type fluid do I need and how much? There is no dipstick, how do I know when it is full?

Old 09-08-2013, 08:05 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
You can get the owners manual in PDF form if you don't have the paper version. Search the site and you will find the link for the Ford site that has them posted online. That should tell you the specific fluid. If you actually have a CVT transmission, then you will likely need to pay for the expensive stuff that is marked "Motorcraft".
I know the CVTs used in the late model Nissan sedans will only work {per factory} with the Nissan fluid, and it is something like $18/quart. It's easy to spend over $100 for the correct fluid in a CVT. If you don't, you may end up with a chain/belt that does not grip, or wears significantly. It is under a lot of side pressure to keep it from slipping, and that can chew up fluids.
To measure fluid you need a dipstick. *{NOT the CVT} I would use the dipstick from the old transmission. If that is not available, either buy a new one or go to a used parts facility. You may find one at a 'pick your own part' place, but I'd bet they go with the tranmsission when pulled. But you might luck out. I know of no other way to get an accurate measurement as the amount of fluid remaining after draining is not exact. You can catch what you drain on your own vehicle, but it's hard to do with one that comes in the door.
The CVT has a plug on the side, and the shop manual recommends MERCON.*
tom

Last edited by tomw; 09-09-2013 at 06:46 AM. Reason: CVT note
Old 09-08-2013, 11:08 AM
ytreffar57
New User
I have found that this vehicle has the eCVT trans and uses mercon V fluid. Had to go to emitchell to find out how to fill it. There is a plug on the left side of the trans, 10mm allen, remove plug and fill to bottom of hole. Replaced with used trans yesterday, still does the same thing.

Drive car above 40MPH, starts slipping shuts off and says to stop safely. Could this be the drive plate between engine and trans? It looks like a clutch disc, but does not have a pressure plate or release bearing.
Any help would be appreciated, cannot find much info online about this vehicle.

Thanks

Old 09-09-2013, 06:45 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Learn something every day. Went to the shop manual, and the cupboard is pretty bare. Diagnostic section was about the rear support and vacuum line.
They did go into the cooling system, so if there was a problem with that, your CVT could be overheating. It has its own radiator, degas bottle, etc. And there is a bleed screw/plug on the tranaxle that is used when the coolant is drained and refilled.
Is it possible you are having a heat problem that is setting the code?
The 'drive plate' allows a bit of slippage between the engine and transmission, and if contaminated with oil or solvent or ..??, it is recommended to replace.
In short the shop manual on the eCVT is kind of useless. No diagnostic, no repair, nada. Guess you're supposed to buy a new car if it breaks. Sorry for the lack of information.
tom

Last edited by tomw; 09-09-2013 at 06:52 AM. Reason: add re drive plate & info lack
Old 09-17-2013, 06:10 PM
ytreffar57
New User
fixed that problem, but

The problem with it cutting out at 40 mph, the converter was plugged. Now we have a noise that happens occasionally with the engine running, we hear what sounds like someone putting in park while it is still moving. Trying to get a recording. Anyone heard anything like that. Will do it sitting still in Park.