Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roll Up Tonneau Cover Recommendations?

Old 09-06-2013, 05:38 PM
BigBlueMacDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Roll Up Tonneau Cover Recommendations?

I'm looking for a new tonneau cover, roll-up preferred. Can anyone give me a recommendation for what seems to be a good one? The one that I have now, lasted very well, till a plastic piece of the latch broke after six years, but I'd rather just replace it with one that will last. The old one is a Tonneau Master but they're out of business, which is a shame. If they'd made their locking mechanism as strong as the cover material, it would still be a great cover.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:03 AM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 237 Likes on 103 Posts
Access Limited on the Ranger, 9 years and counting, lifetime warranty, no problems.
Truxedo LoPro QT on the 150, only had for for a few months, but seems to be quality. The rear seal for the spoiler looks a bit dubious, but no leaks so far.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:43 AM
sconap1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got a "tonneau lopro" on the SD - got the truck May '12...got the cover in June I think. It's not like stuff is locked up...but you do have to drop the tailgate...which you could lock.... to get to the latch to open the cover.

Bought it online, but when I put my bedliner in this year...a local truck accessories place was selling the same for just about $10 more than I paid - right at $200 - they would have installed for free, not that it was that big a deal, but still...

My cover has bed rails that have velcro on the sides and a metal latch box and metal push open latch. Seems sturdy. The guy took the whole thing off to drop in the bedliner and put it back for me for no charge - said he doesn't get complaints on that model cover - and of course no drilling either.

I'd had the triple fold hard cover (still takes up bed space or blocks vision if you stack against rear window), and back in the 90's I had a solid cover (it's a yes/no thing...nothing inbetween)

To me - you are on the right track with the roll up - mine gets a bit dirty looking...but it can be cleaned with soap and brush on a pole - but mostly I love the thing. My truck isn't a show truck anyway...I use that bed a lot. It's a cover when I want it - it's rolled up in 10 seconds when I don't - AND it goes with me. It's a great add I get a lot of use of.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:39 PM
BigBlueMacDaddy
Cargo Master
John, was that the Tonno Lo-Roll? I don't seem to be able to find a Tonneau LoPro, but I sure like the price that you mentioned

Old 09-07-2013, 06:48 PM
BigBlueMacDaddy
Cargo Master
I'm liking these suggestions and reviews! I've been reading and watching videos, and the old noggin is spinning, but I'd much rather trust someone who is a buyer, rather than a seller with an agenda.
So if you've seen one that you like, or dislike, keep them coming, good or bad, and I Thank Everyone!

Old 09-08-2013, 03:30 AM
LaxinFish29
Junior User
I had the Bak Industries Roll-X on my 09 F150. They have since redesigned it a little and I just ordered the same for my 12 F250.

It is a little expensive but worth every penny IMO, guess that goes without saying since I went with the same cover.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:07 PM
sconap1
Junior User
Big George -
sorry I didn't see the question right away...

I messed up a bit - it's called Tonno Pro. I mis spelled it...and I have the "lo" model.
I found the manufacturers link here:
TonnoPro Pickup Tonneau Covers ? Lo Roll Truck Topper Applications
there is a video on the site that runs showing the roll up/out thing...

and I used to get these mags from a truck dress up company called "pickup truck accessories"...but I got this $199 deal on ebay. The guy had bought out someone's inventory going out of business. I may have saved more than you can today...but it's still a decent cover that's super easy to roll up (due to the metal dowel rods built in) and store...or roll back out and lock.

regardless of brand...I will say again, I LOVE this style over the flip and fold or the one pieces. And of course no one makes those aweful snaps anymore...lol...but I do remember having that cover on a truck in the 80's. (geez, I don't feel old!)

Old 09-12-2013, 10:36 PM
BigBlueMacDaddy
Cargo Master
I'm narrowing it down and favor either the Tonno Lo-Pro or the Truxedo so far. Both seem to have pretty good reviews and simple solid latches, and I even found one site that will sell each of them for the same price! I'd like a fabric rollup because I once had to take it off to cross the Chesapeake Bridge-Tunnel in Virginia due to high winds. If you had a trailer, cap, tonneau cover, hard or soft, or anything in the bed of the truck, you weren't allowed to cross! But, if you could get it off and fit it into a van provided by the Bridge-Tunnel Authority, you could pick it up on the other side! The one on my truck now, has had the nuts replaced with wing-nuts!
The Truxedo is top-mount, and the Tonno lo-pro is inside-mount, both have their good points. Just like the unbelievable price of new trucks, it is surprising how much you can spend on a rollup top! I believe in quality over price, but if I can get the quality at a good price, that gives me more to spend on ' More Toys' for my truck!!!
So Thanks for the support that I'm getting here, I do appreciate the helpful reviews and comments, pro and con!

Old 09-12-2013, 10:41 PM
BigBlueMacDaddy
Cargo Master
Out of curiosity, Ford in their catalogs show tonneau covers with Ford embossed on them. I haven't heard anyone say anything about them, good or bad, so maybe that says it all!!
Just curious..........

Old 09-13-2013, 06:19 AM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 237 Likes on 103 Posts
My Truxedo LoPro QT is inside mounted. I can't remember how much of it sticks above the bedrails, but3/4" sticks in my mind somehow.
I've seen that cover by Ford, I think, IIRC, the reason I never bought one was the cost versus what I thought was a better one.
Hey, get the Truxedo, or go home!!!LOL
Gotta love those "Bridge Authority" people, eh? Like the tonneau was going to catch the wind?!?!