1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

1969 f100 restoration / cv swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 01:20 AM
kamikazi117
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1969 f100 restoration / cv swap

a couple days ago i decided to finally restore my f100 that i bought about 18 months ago. i've been driving it just about everyday but it's not a pleasant ride considering the floors are pretty much rusted out and the cab mounts are gone.

My goals for the truck are:
1. Crown Victoria suspension swap
2. IRS
3. 4.6l DOHC from a lincoln mark viii
4. T45 transmission
5. driveshafts
6. frame off restoration on the body and frame
7. paint
8. umm i think thats all at the moment.

So far what i have is my 69 F100

Last Friday (5/11/12) i was able to pick up a 2008 Crown Victoria for $800

My problem and fear is the wiring! aand i'm hoping that someone can help me out with that.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:30 AM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the car have the engine you desire? Just get the harness from the donor car along with all sensors & computers.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:51 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
If you're going with a CV and an 8.8, strongly consider swapping in an independent rear suspension: Team321 LLC Ford Truck Independent Rear Suspension (321)960-5945 dheld@cfl.rr.com

There is a fellow FTE'er in here whose 97 T-bird was crushed by an oak tree...96K miles. Maybe ya'll can make make a deal.

Here's the page: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post11832926

Old 05-15-2012, 12:54 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
If you are interested in doing the IRS swap there are 2 bumps that I know of that are documented. One is a thread by Carcrafter22 & the other you can find here https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...irs-build.html

Old 05-15-2012, 06:08 PM
kenny nunez
Fleet Mechanic
Received 166 Likes on 128 Posts
Thumbs up engine swap

k-117, The most desirable MK8 engine would be the 99 and up, the 98 is what I have in a 67 Ford XL. The heads are better on the 99. You need to get from the flywheel back from a GT Mustang 2 valve engine, they have a 6 bolt flywheel which bolts up to the MK8 engine. The Mustang Cobra uses a 8 bolt flywheel. You will have to use a hydraulic throwout bearing. Whichever engine you get order the wiring service manual from Ford and STUDY it. Make friends with a Ford or Lincoln mechanic as this will also be a big help. You will have to get the computer re-flashed to eliminate the anti theft and the after cat system. You also will need to contact a Mustang tuner to do that. The rear IRS is probably the best thing to do, you will have to have a driveshaft custom made when everything is in place. I have rolled 20k miles on my setup using a 3.70 gear with a t45, 2100 @ 70. I am contemplating putting a 5.4 32 valve from a Navigator with a CV front on my 68 Ranger. Good Luck , Kenny Nunez

Old 05-15-2012, 06:31 PM
Shoestring
Senior User
Kamakazi I have the same project under way. I have a 2005 front end, motor and transmission from the same donor car and an 8.8 from a 98 Exploder. I have yet to get the engine to fire up since I have not made the friends with the Ford mechanic that is mentioned above. That is a good idea BTW. All my rowdy friends are all two and four barrel guys and we all scratch our heads on fuel injection. You can get all the wiring from the engine compartment but there are also aftermarket wiring harnesses that are out there are more and more are becoming available for our 4.6 motors.

Some things to be aware of with the newer 4.6s. They are non return fuel injection in other words the fuel pump they run on in the car is a variable speed and maintains pressure and supply based on demand and speeds of the fuel pump. So with that in mind if you want to use the stock wiring you will need to keep the fuel pump, fuel pump control module and wiring from front to back. Something that helped me with the wiring so far, is I did a search on ebay for a wiring diagram for a 2005 crown vic and picked one up pretty cheap. You probably can do the same for your year model. You said you have a cop car right, a P-71 in the vin code? You will not have to worry about the PATS system since they have that turned off for P71s in the computer controller. At least mine was turned off. I think they do that so multiple keys will run those cars. They usually have other anti-theft systems so PATS is disabled. One more thing that I have figured out so far is the rear end you have in the 2008 is not going to work for our trucks. You have to find a previous year model, pre 1998. The older year model was narrower and will fit the 1998 to now is too wide.

SS

Old 05-15-2012, 07:08 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Shoestring
...You have to find a previous year model, pre 1998. The older year model was narrower and will fit the 1998 to now is too wide.

SS
Can you explain why the rear axle is too wide? It is the same width as the IFS he is using. Or are you simply saying it is wider than the stock rear width. The wider rear will greatly enhance handling.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:25 PM
Shoestring
Senior User
Originally Posted by elgemcdlf
Can you explain why the rear axle is too wide? It is the same width as the IFS he is using. Or are you simply saying it is wider than the stock rear width. The wider rear will greatly enhance handling.
I bring that up from Carcrafter22's tireless researching of rear-end widths. If I remember correctly the rear end of the 1998 and newer body style is actually wider than the front to aid in handling. The rear end is so wide that with the stock steel rims the tires do not clear the fender wells. The stock rims have no backspacing so there is no where to go except to shorten the axle. Carcrafter had purchased a 2006 or so and was attempting to make it fit and was considering shortening the axle but ended up getting a 1997 or 96 and it fit perfect. I purchased a rear end from an Explorer that is a bit too narrow but with deep dish rims it will work.

SS

Old 05-15-2012, 08:28 PM
kenny nunez
Fleet Mechanic
Received 166 Likes on 128 Posts
engine swap

K117, The returnless systems started in 03 and is a"drive by wire", just like what was said you will need everything from the CV that you have. Whatever system you use make sure to have the "data link connector" mounted under the dash. If you use a MK8 engine you will also need the fuel pump for a return style system. By using a Ford control system it will be easier to get technical help, and the parts are easier to aquire.
Kenny Nunez

Old 05-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Shoestring
Senior User
Originally Posted by kenny nunez
K117, The returnless systems started in 03 and is a"drive by wire", just like what was said you will need everything from the CV that you have. Whatever system you use make sure to have the "data link connector" mounted under the dash. If you use a MK8 engine you will also need the fuel pump for a return style system. By using a Ford control system it will be easier to get technical help, and the parts are easier to acquire.
Kenny Nunez.
Kenny that is right. I forgot about that. You will also need the gas pedal from the donor car because the computer looks for the signal from the gas pedal to make the vehicle run. I am talking about the entire gas pedal module. looks kinda dorky all plastic but it should mount high enough that it is not entirely visible. The wholes from the original gas pedal mount almost line up correctly. I think on mine I am going to have to drill only one extra hole.

When I pulled the wiring I also tried to pull the plugs off the firewall. This helps in two areas. One the wiring diagram will reference the plugs and will help you figure things out. Second the plugs make the transition through the firewall since they are made for it. I have not done this with mine but that is the theory I am holding on to when I get to making the holes.

SS

Old 05-16-2012, 01:37 AM
kamikazi117
Freshman User
So far this is were I'm at:

The IRS is going to be added to my goals. I wasn't even thinking about that yesterday.
What i'm thinking right now is that i want to just use as much out of the cv that i have so i can save some money and get my truck back on the road asap. i might just be using the SOHC out of it as well as the auto trans. Not sure but does the 08 cv p70 have a 4r70w trans? The cv i have is not a p71. I'm wanting to integrate the guages, steering wheel, a/c, heater, light controls, etc from the dash of the cv. will i still need to get the computer flashed for the anti theft?

Old 05-16-2012, 07:59 AM
Shoestring
Senior User
Originally Posted by kamikazi117
So far this is were I'm at:

The IRS is going to be added to my goals. I wasn't even thinking about that yesterday.
What i'm thinking right now is that i want to just use as much out of the cv that i have so i can save some money and get my truck back on the road asap. i might just be using the SOHC out of it as well as the auto trans. Not sure but does the 08 cv p70 have a 4r70w trans? The cv i have is not a p71. I'm wanting to integrate the guages, steering wheel, a/c, heater, light controls, etc from the dash of the cv. will i still need to get the computer flashed for the anti theft?
I do not know if you will have enough of the parts to satisfy the PATS system. I know that part of the system is the key as well as what you have listed so you may have enough.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:25 AM
kamikazi117
Freshman User
Can someone explain PATS please?

Old 05-16-2012, 01:32 PM
Shoestring
Senior User
Originally Posted by kamikazi117
Can someone explain PATS please?
Passive Anti Theft System. I did a quick internet search and found this article from what looks like a programming company. Check it out.

http://www.bsecorp.com/files/techtips/FORD%20PATS.pdf

What I have learned from reading is the system stops the start signal somewhere between the key signal to the PCM. If PATS is not satisfied with the security the system shows open on a relay and does not allow the start signal to complete the cycle. When the security system is satisfied the system shows the relay closed and the signal completes the path and starts the vehicle. Shortened version I guess you could say.

SS

Old 05-18-2012, 02:42 AM
kamikazi117
Freshman User
I'm becoming more and more unsure wether or not i want to use the 4.6 from this 08 CV
The reason i don't want to, is because of allll the wiring all over the engine, it all looks terrible. Wires just look bad under the hood.
My question right now is whats a good ford fuel injection engine that doesn't have 500 thousand sensors and has good potential to beat someone at a traffic light drag?

I know that there will be wires but i'm looking for something that can be cleaned up a little easier.

Quick Reply: 1969 f100 restoration / cv swap