1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Introduction and a few questions (now with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 08:08 PM
ohbrian
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Introduction and a few questions (now with pics)

Hi Guys/gals

I'm fortunate enough to be receiving a 56 F100 in a few weeks compliments of my father in law. I can't wait to tear into it ;-) I know that it was originally an Air Force truck that he bought at a govt auction in the early 60's. He has swapped the motor and transmission for a 351 automatic (not sure which yet). I think my first step is going to be to remove as much sheet metal as I can to make it easier to work on and get a better look at the frame. Can someone please point me to the best source of info (manual/cd/or forum) for removing fenders, bed etc. The truck runs but it's not what I would call safe and reliable at this point so that's where I'm beginning. Also I know it has quite a few coats of paint on it. Would it be best to remove all the paint and start over? I'm planning on a rugged primer street rod look for now, not show car but nicer paint on down the road...

Thanks!

Old 09-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Welcome to FTE! We love pictures.
Before you start tearing it all apart you need to read the first three articles in this thread.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...s-how-tos.html

Taking these trucks apart is easy. Putting them together can take years. I am 2 or 3 years into dis-assembly and I have a LONG way to go. (See my thread in my signature to see the latest pictures.) Unless you have lots of skill or lots of money (really both) it will take a long time. The best bet is to make sure it is running and that the brakes and steering work well then the truck will tell you what it needs.

You must get this manual:
1948-56 Ford Truck Master Parts Catalog CD - HiPo Parts Garage
It is more than worth the $22 cost.

The shop manual is a must have as well. Here is a link to one of many on Amazon. Check around for the best price.
http://www.amazon.com/1956-Ford-Truck-Shop-Manual/dp/B00BGB8ISI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378433363&sr=8-2&keywords=1956+ford+truck+shop+manual http://www.amazon.com/1956-Ford-Truck-Shop-Manual/dp/B00BGB8ISI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378433363&sr=8-2&keywords=1956+ford+truck+shop+manual

Since you have a different engine, that will make a difference in finding parts and manuals to help you along.

Did I mention we love pictures?
Also, Google is your friend and the advanced search feature here is invaluable. Also, ask lots of questions. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask and end up costing yourself hundreds of dollars fixing your mistake.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:34 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Welcome!

The disassembly is really a function of how far you are intending to go. The front fenders,grill, and valances are best removed as a single unit. Rear fenders are straight forward. If you are taking the cab off, you'll be best to use the 'Search this Forum' feature to check on the lifting options for moving the cab.

As you remove parts, I would suggest that you take many pictures, organize loose parts with many ziplock bags, and label everything.

There are a number of options on paint removal. I'm partial to sand blasting - using a good respirator of course. The most important piece of equipment that I bought early in my work was an air compressor large enough to drive a blaster unit, various air tools, and a paint gun. This thing has been a work horse and saved a bunch of time.

Oh, and pics, post some pics.

DW

Old 09-05-2013, 09:45 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Welcome to the board!!

Here's a thought, get the truck running as is. Make it where you can drive it around a little bit while you get to know it and it gets to know you. While you're getting to know it, it will let you know which direction it wants to go and will give you some time to formulate a plan. It will also give you some danged good memories that will hopefully carry you through the rough times (oh, and there will be rough times...)

We all fall into ruts. Usually when the truck is all torn apart with no end in site. No biggie, it happens to al of us. We can talk you through it.

Good luck with it. Hopefully you can figure out how to post up some pics. We love pics!

Bobby

Old 09-05-2013, 09:59 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Ohbrian - Welcome Aboard!

You have one key phrase in there that is very important - "It runs".
What you will find is that it's super easy to tear these things apart & much more difficult & expensive to get them all back together. A high percentage never get back together - it's just too hard to spend real money on a "pile of parts".

An alternative might be to get it really running & stopping right - make it safe & then work on the make it pretty stuff as time & money allows.
We did the following to make our1950 F1 truck more drivable.

o Replaced all brake lines & upgraded to a two chamber master cylinder so the brakes wouldn't all go out at the same time.

o Replaced the stock rear end that wouldn't allow us to go over 50mph with an Explorer 8.8 axle with 3.73 gears for highway driving. (Also gave us rear disc brakes). (Maybe a two weekend job).

o Added turn signals & a second windshield wiper.

o Added door locks on the driver's side.

o Moved the gas tank from the cab to out under the bed.

o We also eventually replaced the front stock suspension with a
modern coilover suspension to eliminate the "drunken monkey" wobble.

It's your truck so do what you want - but it's fantastic that it runs - you are ahead of 90% of the members here. Good luck over there in California.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1 (351W/AOD)

Old 09-05-2013, 10:14 PM
ohbrian
Senior User
Thanks so much for the input guys. I've been a member of many Mustang boards that were not so friendly I'll get some pics up as soon as I can. The truck right now is sitting about 70 miles away in San Francisco and it's about 10 different colors. Right now I'm driving my 4th Mustang, I've never really been much of a truck guy but these 50's Fords have opened my eyes to something that looks exciting to me.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:36 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree with Ben 100% If you haven't done this b4, Get it safe to drive, then enjoy it for awhile. The truck will let you know what it wants. I guarantee that you are going to have so much fun with your truck. Welcome to the best ford truck site on the web. Your home.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:44 PM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been driving my truck for 7 years, doing only small improvements. I have had big planes with IFS & 4 link, pretty much a complete chassie redesign. BUT it turned out I havd gotten centimental over the years and grown into liking the stock chassie. So now
tthis winter I will start the resto of the stock chassie with some saftey mods,
Good luck, and my advice to you is not to hurry take your time and figure out whats best for you.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:17 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Hi OhBrian. Welcome from the other end of the country. Well, almost. I'm in Kentucky.

I, like some of the others, had big plans when I got my truck too. (I was 15) But when my dad and I went through the brakes and steering, I found that I liked just driving it around. I did little things like prime it a single color, rebuild the engine, added aluminum Offy heads and intake, and improve the seat, but didn't start a total rebuild until many years later.

You sound like you're not a rookie to the car world, so I assume this isn't your first rodeo. Do what you think makes it interesting, and enjoy the ride!

PS: You don't have to be a truck guy to love these things. Just think of it as a really big deuce coupe without a trunk lid.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:04 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hello Ohbrian....welcome from another California Ford truck fan.

Where in CA are you located. There are a few of us around here. We might be able to steer you towards parts suppliers.

In line with what everyone else is saying....and I'm sure you know....things are easier to take apart than they are to put back together.

I'm looking forward to seeing your pics. There was another forum contributor who at one time had an Air Force surplus truck...he kept it in the original colors and signage on the doors.

Dan

Old 09-06-2013, 08:56 AM
ohbrian
Senior User
Hi Dan,

I live in Tracy, but I work in Santa Clara so I'm in the bay area all the time...

Originally Posted by old_dan
Hello Ohbrian....welcome from another California Ford truck fan.

Where in CA are you located. There are a few of us around here. We might be able to steer you towards parts suppliers.

In line with what everyone else is saying....and I'm sure you know....things are easier to take apart than they are to put back together.

I'm looking forward to seeing your pics. There was another forum contributor who at one time had an Air Force surplus truck...he kept it in the original colors and signage on the doors.

Dan

Old 09-06-2013, 11:23 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Wink WARNING!

If you are going to remove sheet metal be prepared for surprises. I had my truck running pretty well but then a brake keeper came loose. After pulling the wheel one thing led to another until I finally pulled axles off and then the fenders and then the bed. Of course once you have those off access is so easy and you find surprises and then then you want to go further. . . . WARNING! Old trucks are addictive.

Attached Images   
Old 09-06-2013, 11:52 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts

Dan
Are you talking about this one? I love this one.

Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2013, 11:57 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Welcome! Yes this is the friendliest and helpful forum on the internet.
First I would suggest getting on the phone and call Mid Fifty Home - Mid Fifty F-100 Parts and request one of their free catalogs. You'll find it an invaluable resource since it contains much useful information on stock and modified trucks, clear drawings, and all the parts you might need. When you do need something, Mid Fifty is an excellent company to deal with and the gals there (It's an all female company!) are some of the most knowledgeable, helpful, and friendly folks you'll ever find. Plus they include tootsie rolls in every order!

Next I'd suggest reading my post on how to make a build plan (post #7) here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...1955-f250.html

Finally tell us about your truck and how you got it, once you make 10 or more posts the secret door will open to additional features on here.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:49 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Could we see some pictures? Here is how.

But I got ta say becoming a supporter is the fastest and easiest way to post pics right from
your whatever pad/cell thing or home computer.
Few of us look in the users Gallery or album as you can see by your recent visitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76f350spercamprspeal

Welcome to FTE, Best Damn Forum EVER!
------------------------
Here's How to Post Pictures:
1. Login to FTE.
2.Click User CP (In the Top Left Hand Corner)
3.(On the Left, There will be a list, The 5th Option Down, will say "Pictures & Albums) Click That.
4.Then, Click Add Album, Enter a title, and description, if ya want to.
5. Click Upload Pictures, Then click Browse, Locate the Files of your truck. (You can add 3 files at a time)
5. Click Upload.
6. Add a description to the individual pictures, then click save.
7. Add more files if ya want.
8. Click The Picture you want to post, it will give you two codes at the bottom, Right Click The Second one (It say's BB Code, Then Say's [IMG]http:blahblahblah...[/IMG])
Then, Once that is highlighted, Right Click, Then Copy, Then Paste it into your post.
You can add up to 30 Images in one FTE Post.
If, Ya need any help, Don't hesitate to ask.

Quote:

You can also go to the "Garage" tab and start an album right here on FTE. After you post pictures to an album, we can look in your album, but you'll also be able to "insert a picture" by pasting in a link to the picture in your album.

It seems awkward, but whenever you "insert a picture" to one of these threads, the forum is looking for the picture somewhere on the web (which is always available) rather than from somewhere on your hard drive (which isn't always available).

Quote:
Originally Posted By Jolly Roger Joe

Welcome to FTE!

Go to Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and sign up for a free account. Then create an album for your truck. Upload any pics you want to post on FTE to that album. Have this album open on your computer when you want to post pics on FTE.

While you're making a post on FTE, select the pic you want to post from your Photobucket album. When the large version of the pic is open, right mouse click on it and select "View Image Info". The image info will be highlighted and will look something like this:
The best photos and videos | Photobucket

Copy that highlighted info (right click / copy).

When you have the spot in your post where you want the pic to be placed, select the "Insert Image" icon at the top of the post (looks like a mountain) and paste (right click / paste) the image info you copied in the highlighted box (just shows "http://" when it opens).

Your pic will be placed in the post.

Hope that helps.

Here's a tutorial Bob put together: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/67...-pictures.html

Quick Reply: Introduction and a few questions (now with pics)