General Automotive Discussion

If you were in the market for a sedan....

Old 09-03-2013, 10:24 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
If you were in the market for a sedan....

Which sedan would you chose? Not trucks or SUV's but sedans and cross overs qualify for my question. I'm interested in which car and why you would chose it.

To be honest, as much as I love Fords, they really don't have any cars right now that I would actually buy. The reason? Ford's warranty program is very out dated and their cars are expensive.

Lately I've been recommending most anything from Hyundai to people. Additionally, Subaru has piqued my interest. I can actually see an Outback in my future. Ford doesn't have anything like this.

I love the Taurus, Fusion and really everything that is building but as I grow older I'm thinking a bit more practical. The Edge and Flex are way over priced.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:40 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,089 Likes on 2,154 Posts
crown vic.
but since they are not being made any more, i will just keep the one i have.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:32 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Well I just bought a 13 Taurus for my wife in January and I love it. Some things could be better on a design and functionality stand point. Like better visibility especially out of the rear window. A louder horn, and I'd do away with those stupid 1 touch turn signals. Other than that I love the car. And even though mine is only front wheel drive Ford offers and all wheel drive option. if you really look at the competitors comparable car you'll find that it is very hard to get a v6 in their cars for the same money. Most will just have a 4 cylinder and some like GM will give you a turbo 4 at an additional charge. That was the most important to me when I was looking. My wife and I don't really care about have all the other options as nice as some of them are. Many now a days are just down right annoying. Like the bliss, lane departure, crash alert, and even more often than not the reverse aid. I find that all of those warning bells are more of distraction than they are an aid. Although I will say I do like how the reverse sensors on my Taurus only chime if there is something behind do. I've been in some cars where those sensors beep the whole time your in reverse. And beep faster the closer you get to what ever is behind you. And if I couldn't get a Ford for whatever reason my next choice would be a Subaru. They just run forever. How ever if you live in an area where rust is an issue, get it rust proofed with the purchase. Cause they do rust quick.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:52 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well since you didn't specify "new" I would opt for something older. A 1930 Model A Tudor for example. But since you did mention practical I think a late 60's model Galaxie would work. The Hyundai seems to be kicking butt and taking names these days. They seem to have the reliability and comfort of a Honda or Toyota but cost less. They must be doing something right. I have a friend that drives a Genesis. It's a real nice sedan, 25 city / 31 hiway. The Subaru's intrigue me as well because of their mountain goat type reputation to go anywhere. I've got a place we like to go to in the mountains and my truck won't make it up the gravel road in the winter. Seems like a Subaru would get me the last 2 miles and 4000 feet and be easy on the gas getting from here to the mountains. Hard to picture myself in a Jap car though. Based on what they want for new cars these days it may all be a moot point for me anyway. Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you select.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:16 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
Originally Posted by 19fifty4
Well since you didn't specify "new" I would opt for something older. A 1930 Model A Tudor for example. But since you did mention practical I think a late 60's model Galaxie would work. The Hyundai seems to be kicking butt and taking names these days. They seem to have the reliability and comfort of a Honda or Toyota but cost less. They must be doing something right. I have a friend that drives a Genesis. It's a real nice sedan, 25 city / 31 hiway. The Subaru's intrigue me as well because of their mountain goat type reputation to go anywhere. I've got a place we like to go to in the mountains and my truck won't make it up the gravel road in the winter. Seems like a Subaru would get me the last 2 miles and 4000 feet and be easy on the gas getting from here to the mountains. Hard to picture myself in a Jap car though. Based on what they want for new cars these days it may all be a moot point for me anyway. Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you select.
Did I have to specify new?

Old 09-04-2013, 09:31 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Yeah I should mention that my 13 Taurus get 20 city and 32 highway outta the 3.5 v6.
The reason I chose the new Taurus was because I previously owned an 03 ses and loved that car. Especially in the winter and Pittsburgh snowfalls and ice storms. That car was a bear for only being front wheel drive. And the new one seems to be just as good.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:41 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
First choice- A Tesla model S. There are quite a few running around this area, and they are a sweet looking car with a ton of tech. Not having to buy gas is a plus as well.
Otherwise, I'm not really into sedans. Hatchbacks and wagons, maybe, but even the true five seat cars leave no extra room with the seats loaded. An Escape maybe.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:10 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm with tjc , a crown vic / mercury marquis . it's a ford and the last of the rear drive sedans they made .

Old 09-06-2013, 10:22 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally I'd be looking at Ford's only so I guess that is out. I did have a Mazda 6 as a rental the last 2 weeks, sorta kinda has a Ford upbringing, anyway other than terrible power it had nice interior room and the mileage was surprisingly good, got upper 20's. Impressive when you had to get it up to 5-6K rpms to make it get up and move. I'm guessing it had the smallest engine, no engine designation on the top of it anywhere. First auto I have driven that has the manual option, kind of handy but doesn't work as a true manual--it'll still shift by itself or not at all if it doesn't like what you are doing.

Around here if you have someone doing anything wrong on the highway it is in a Subaru Outback, especially green ones. I wouldn't own one in my wildest dreams.

My last two daily drivers have been Panthers, first the '92 GMQ and now the '01 CVPI which will probably be replaced with one of the last year CV's or a GMQ when the time comes. Can't beat the size, comfort and safety and still get at least low 20mpg's. Top it off with them being plentiful, cheap and cheap to work on.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:09 AM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 237 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by galaxie641

Around here if you have someone doing anything wrong on the highway it is in a Subaru Outback, especially green ones. I wouldn't own one in my wildest dreams.
I thought those were the "love" cars.!?LOL

If I was in the market for a sedan, the SHO Taurus would be my first choice, that's just one good looking car. I've driven Taurus's in the past, and always thought of them as being a comfortable, good handling, and feature laden car. I know it's rather dated, but a trucking company rented me the top of the line Taurus, although not a SHO, a 2009, that I drove from Green Bay, back to Detroit a few years ago, and I was impressed.
A Fusion would be a consideration as well. I give it just as high of marks as a Taurus, just a little smaller package. On that same trip to Green Bay, the company rented me a comparably equipped Fusion to drive there.
I'm not much of a car guy, but those two, I really liked, and being a Ford guy, what other choice is there. I do like the Dodge Challenger for nostalgic reasons, but it's not a sedan. A chebby or asian name plate isn't even in the equation, yepper, I'm quite biased when it comes to cars and trucks. My horizons are kept small I guess.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:50 PM
HEpTJJ
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
crown vic.
but since they are not being made any more, i will just keep the one i have.
I second the recommendation of a Crown Vic. Taxi businesses, police, and government still use the Crown Vic and thus there is a large supply of cheap parts available. The car is built like a truck, ready to work, and isn't flashy enough to be overpriced when found used.

Good luck.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:10 PM
rainbow stu
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dodge Charger with the big Hemi.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:34 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the charged is acceptable as it ain't no d@m^ chitty , but still it is one ugly **** , and it get's uglier by the day !!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-12-2013, 01:55 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was looking at new gen SHO sales the other day and am amazed how cheap they are selling for with just under 100K miles on them. Saw a few in the mid teens, those were nearly $40K cars when new. Kind of got me thinking about one of them instead of another CV.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:44 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If you were in the market for a sedan....