1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 F-250 4x4 Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 10:41 PM
SLICK75
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 F-250 4x4 Wheels

Bear with me if this is one of those dead horse threads. It's my first thread and I tried the search without much luck in what I'm looking for. And it might be a bit long-winded.

Two months ago I finally broke down and bought a new-to-me ride. The previous owner already spent the money on the 6 inch lift kit, intake and wheels along with a few other perks. Unfortunately the wheels look as though he splashed through a few buckets of black paint because the chrome is flaking off leaving the black base. Other than that the truck is awesome, he did a fine job of babying. I don't think it had even seen a dirt road until the day I drove it home.

Well now I'm wanting to make it MINE and the wheels are where I'm going to start since that's the eye-sore, but I know squat about buying wheels. It's currently sitting on ProComps but after I saw on the ProComp site that they only warranty for 90 days I asked a local accessory store and he said it was a common problem.
Well I'm not putting another $1400+ set of wheels on it that will make a repeat performance in less than 2 years like this set did. So I'm thinking of a set of Centerlines or Mickey Thompsons. The problem I'm running into is weight rating. I still need the truck to be able to handle its 3/4 ton capacity since we use it for hauling 1500 lb rolls of hay in the back every week (did this for the last 10 years with an F-150 and cringed every time).

I've looked at the ProComps, MTs, and Centerlines and everything is currently rated for 3100-3400 lb depending on company and style. I assume that would come out to 12,000+ lbs with all four wheels (well above the 9600 gvwr)?
What is the rating for the stock wheels that were most likely on it?

Also, it currently has Toyo 37x13.5s on it but they're only about 50% so by the time I do the wheels I will probably need a set of shoes too.
I don't do a lot of off-roading, don't have the heart just yet, but I would like to stick with the 37s, might even get away with 38s. Either way, no more off-road than the truck sees, tread life is probably more important than performance. Any recommendations? I know Super Swampers roll like eggs and go bad almost as fast, I've been told MT Bajas ride good but go slick fairly quick. Last I know Bridgestone Duelers were about the best all around, but that was a long time ago.

Any other recommendations would also be greatly appreciated. I've never customized a truck until now and my last hands-on experience in wheels and tires was over 16 years ago when I worked a short time in a local tire store. I'm sure there's more options out there today but I have no idea which ones are preferred or which ones to stay clear of these days.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:59 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just make sure you get hub fitment rings to make them hub centric rather than relying on your lug studs to hold the weight up.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:48 AM
SLICK75
New User
Glad you mentioned that, that's one of those things I hadn't even considered. It's been a long time but I don't remember ever even putting a set of those on anything we ever put wheels on at the tire store.

Come to think of it, I wonder if that was the cause of an issue a customer had with Micky Thompson wheels. We put two sets on in less than 3 months and at least one wheel on both sets cracked. He wound up with a set of Centerlines before it was over.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Zooki1
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by SLICK75
Glad you mentioned that, that's one of those things I hadn't even considered. It's been a long time but I don't remember ever even putting a set of those on anything we ever put wheels on at the tire store.

Come to think of it, I wonder if that was the cause of an issue a customer had with Micky Thompson wheels. We put two sets on in less than 3 months and at least one wheel on both sets cracked. He wound up with a set of Centerlines before it was over.
Give the guys a call at Wheel Kreations..they are great to deal with and will help with any questions you have

Old 09-03-2013, 01:15 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Those Toyo's should last you a good amount of mileage. I got about 45k or so on my last set of 37" M/T's on my 2000.

My 35" Toyo M/T's are already trashed on my '11, but I'm leaning toward my driving style as the contributing factor.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:51 PM
SLICK75
New User
Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
Those Toyo's should last you a good amount of mileage. I got about 45k or so on my last set of 37" M/T's on my 2000.

My 35" Toyo M/T's are already trashed on my '11, but I'm leaning toward my driving style as the contributing factor.
45k, really? The previous owner must've done all this work as soon as he got the truck, it only had 34k on it when I got it. If they're going to get that kind of mileage I might as well go back with the same thing.

So I just need to sort out what wheels to get.

Thanks

Old 09-04-2013, 09:48 AM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SLICK75
Yes, that was the issue, or at least a major contributing factor. People blame wheel manufacturers, but they're improperly installing and running the wheel in a lug-centric manner. The problem is that sometimes you can end up getting away with it, just enough where guys will pound their chest and declare with authority that you don't need to worry about it, that's it's good enough.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:27 AM
SLICK75
New User
Yeah, the customer was a BIG boy, ex football player, and he was driving an extended cab Z71. The first time it happened we passed it off as a freak accident, he hadnt had the wheels 2 weeks, so we just warrantied them and ordered a new set. The second set cracked withing another month so he swapped to a new manufacturer. To my knowledge that was the only case of that happening and we did a lot of custom wheels.

If I remember correctly, after comparing the vehicles tare weight plus the owners weight, with a full tank of gas he had less than 1000 lbs to play with on the wheel rating but using the centric rings wouldve probably made a big difference since he didnt haul anything with the truck anyway.

Anyway, thanks for reminding me of that, I wouldve never thought about the rings on my own and depending on where I wind up going to get them they may not either.