Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Postmaster

04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold
Yep, 4oz of fuel add to full tank of diesel,I use rottella 5w 40 year round with the revx I bought 2 and only used one .good stuff.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:14 PM
Postmaster

mustang_309 is a name known to allmustang_309 is a name known to allmustang_309 is a name known to allmustang_309 is a name known to allmustang_309 is a name known to allmustang_309 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by d450heavy View Post
I am running the Rotella 10-30 diesel blend synthetic now, changed the oil about a month ago and now get about 3 miles per gallon more. I drive a lot about 1000 to 1500 miles a week so I am thinking about changing the oil again this weekend and this time using Full Synthetic 5-30 and see if the injectors and hot starts go away. Also will be adding the REV-X to see if it helps the injectors.

I also have heard a few guys using Marine 2 stroke in their trucks. Seems risky but I am new to the whole world of fuel additive thing.

In Oregon we cant get anything but low sulfur Diesel. Not sure of the Cetene rating. We unfortunately live in a state where 90% the people live in one small area and they in turn make the laws and rules for the entire state. And they prefer to ride their bikes to work or drive their smart car. Wear I live everybody drives a truck and most people don't even go visit the towns were the laws are written, so if really doesn't help us out at all.

Any advice on the best Oil to run in the 6.0L manufacture and Weight going into winter? Also how often do you all add the fuel additives, Every fill up?
Yes add fuel additive to every fill up. I don't believe they make a diesel rated 5W-30 engine oil. Most on here like rotella T-6 5W-40. Easily had at Walmart for around 22 bucks a gallon.
Brett, 06 F-350 Crewcab shortbed, 4" Banks turbo back exhaust with EGT probe, Edge insight CTS with EAS fuel pressure gauge, SCT tuner using canned SCT tunes, rebuilt FICM with atlas 40 from Ed at FICMrepair.com, stand pipes, dummy plugs, STC fitting, blue spring upgrade, archoil AR9100, Magnefine P/S filter, Russell speed bleeders, FTE junkie
Old 09-03-2013, 06:23 PM
Postmaster

04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold
Cowboy 65 found it at orilys 5.00 discount make a gallon price 17/18 bucks,find his thread
Old 09-03-2013, 06:30 PM
Posting Guru

diesel_dan has a great reputation on FTE.diesel_dan has a great reputation on FTE.diesel_dan has a great reputation on FTE.diesel_dan has a great reputation on FTE.diesel_dan has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_309 View Post
Yes add fuel additive to every fill up. I don't believe they make a diesel rated 5W-30 engine oil. Most on here like rotella T-6 5W-40. Easily had at Walmart for around 22 bucks a gallon.
I think he might be talking about T5 Rotella? It's a 10W 30 semi-syn HDEO....
'07 F350 Lariat SRW SC/LB, 6.0 Auto, 4x4 3.73 LSD ("Dan" is the truck, I'm Scott). BFG A/Ts 285/65/18, Rancho RS9000s, Air Lift bags, Super Hitch, Blue Spring, BD EGR Cooler, EC-1 coolant, XDP Coolant Filter, Updated OEM: Oil Cooler, StandPipes & Dummy Plugs, STC fitting, Trans pan & filter, Delo 400 semi-synth 9W 40. Torque Pro on-board! Next up: '08 rear alum diff cover & OD Alt Pulley.

'00 Expedition 5.4 4x4 Eddie Bauer, 3.55 LSD
Old 09-03-2013, 06:51 PM
Postmaster

mustang_309 is a name known to allmustang_309 is a name known to allmustang_309 is a name known to allmustang_309 is a name known to allmustang_309 is a name known to allmustang_309 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_dan View Post
I think he might be talking about T5 Rotella? It's a 10W 30 semi-syn HDEO....
Quote:
Originally Posted by d450heavy View Post
I am running the Rotella 10-30 diesel blend synthetic now, changed the oil about a month ago and now get about 3 miles per gallon more. I drive a lot about 1000 to 1500 miles a week so I am thinking about changing the oil again this weekend and this time using Full Synthetic 5-30 and see if the injectors and hot starts go away. Also will be adding the REV-X to see if it helps the injectors.

I also have heard a few guys using Marine 2 stroke in their trucks. Seems risky but I am new to the whole world of fuel additive thing.

In Oregon we cant get anything but low sulfur Diesel. Not sure of the Cetene rating. We unfortunately live in a state where 90% the people live in one small area and they in turn make the laws and rules for the entire state. And they prefer to ride their bikes to work or drive their smart car. Wear I live everybody drives a truck and most people don't even go visit the towns were the laws are written, so if really doesn't help us out at all.

Any advice on the best Oil to run in the 6.0L manufacture and Weight going into winter? Also how often do you all add the fuel additives, Every fill up?
This is what I was referring to.
Brett, 06 F-350 Crewcab shortbed, 4" Banks turbo back exhaust with EGT probe, Edge insight CTS with EAS fuel pressure gauge, SCT tuner using canned SCT tunes, rebuilt FICM with atlas 40 from Ed at FICMrepair.com, stand pipes, dummy plugs, STC fitting, blue spring upgrade, archoil AR9100, Magnefine P/S filter, Russell speed bleeders, FTE junkie
Old 09-03-2013, 09:03 PM
Elder User

CPB1 has a great reputation on FTE.CPB1 has a great reputation on FTE.CPB1 has a great reputation on FTE.CPB1 has a great reputation on FTE.CPB1 has a great reputation on FTE.
I was thinking a little about this one, and this is what I would do. Make sure your FICM has been repaired/updated. If the truck is new to you and your not sure then take your registration(for proof of ownership and VIN#) to the Ford dealer and get a warranty history report. This will list all repairs done under warranty.

If not already done, install the updated blue spring fuel pressure regulator.

Get something that will read live data, like Scan Gauge II.

This is just my opinion, but this would be a good start.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:40 PM
Posting Guru

diesel_dan has a great reputation on FTE.diesel_dan has a great reputation on FTE.diesel_dan has a great reputation on FTE.diesel_dan has a great reputation on FTE.diesel_dan has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_309 View Post
This is what I was referring to.
10-4 Brett, sorry for that...
'07 F350 Lariat SRW SC/LB, 6.0 Auto, 4x4 3.73 LSD ("Dan" is the truck, I'm Scott). BFG A/Ts 285/65/18, Rancho RS9000s, Air Lift bags, Super Hitch, Blue Spring, BD EGR Cooler, EC-1 coolant, XDP Coolant Filter, Updated OEM: Oil Cooler, StandPipes & Dummy Plugs, STC fitting, Trans pan & filter, Delo 400 semi-synth 9W 40. Torque Pro on-board! Next up: '08 rear alum diff cover & OD Alt Pulley.

'00 Expedition 5.4 4x4 Eddie Bauer, 3.55 LSD
Old 09-03-2013, 10:26 PM
New User

d450heavy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not sure about the FICM. I did buy the truck new to me about 4 months ago and after buying it had to do some upgrades right away. I did the dummy plugs, new VGT Sensor, New EGR Sensor, Turbo vanes cleaned, Blues Spring upgrade on Fuel line and replaced 2 bad injectors. I also paid the local Ford Dealer to do a Diagnostic test on motor to see what else may need to be done and they only found the 2 bad injectors, and my oil pressure sending unit leaks a little, and my small blue cold air Turbo hose is going bad slowly.

One problem I have had on a very regular basis that I found was the plugs at the FICM would work themselves loose and not allow a restart on hot days. I since used a Zip Tie to hold these in tight and until yesterday when the Zip Tie stretched out a bit it worked great.

I had my FICM Tested for power and all seemed good on computer tests. I am a bit worried as I had an 04 6.0L That had a ton of stuff go bad, too much to mention here and cost about $8K to repair over a few years.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Senior User

JBSIXGUNS has a good reputation on FTE.JBSIXGUNS has a good reputation on FTE.JBSIXGUNS has a good reputation on FTE.
I run about 1quart of ashless 2-stroke oil in 25gallons of diesel fuel, I've done it for years, with no problems, it makes a noticeable difference in quieting down my injectors.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:32 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel