Moving Cross Country

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 06:20 PM
ilovware
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Moving Cross Country

I have a 2010 Lincoln Navigator, I will be towing a u-haul 6x12 trailer from Tampa, FL to Fort Carson, CO. Is there anything special i need to do? Do I need to drive a certain speed? is there any special way I need to drive? I have never towed anything before, and it's a 1900 miles drive.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:19 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,006 Posts
No big deal really. What route do you plan to take? You will like Ft. Carson too btw.

Practice a couple of turns before hand so you know how wide to turn. I use cruise control most of the time as it makes an easier drive.

If you experience too much gear hunting then drop it down a gear if needed. Plan on rotten fuel mileage as the trailers are a sail behind you catching all the wind.

I would think around 10-11 mpg's.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:34 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ilovware
I have a 2010 Lincoln Navigator, I will be towing a u-haul 6x12 trailer from Tampa, FL to Fort Carson, CO. Is there anything special i need to do? Do I need to drive a certain speed? is there any special way I need to drive? I have never towed anything before, and it's a 1900 miles drive.
I see its a u-haul trailer and the tech hooking it up should know their stuff, however, check that the brake, turn, and running lights all work, the tire pressures are correct, and that the trailer rides level with your Lincoln.
It probably doesn't have bakes but if it does, check them too for stopping.
It doesn't hurt to shift down a gear when pulling to keep the rpm's from lugging.
Remember that some states require vehicles with trailers to a max of 55 mph. Not sure you will encounter any.
Take your time and be safe.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:41 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by r2millers
I see its a u-haul trailer and the tech hooking it up should know their stuff, however, check that the brake, turn, and running lights all work, the tire pressures are correct, and that the trailer rides level with your Lincoln.
It probably doesn't have bakes but if it does, check them too for stopping.
It doesn't hurt to shift down a gear when pulling to keep the rpm's from lugging.
Remember that some states require vehicles with trailers to a max of 55 mph. Not sure you will encounter any.
Take your time and be safe.
Good point on the brakes. They are surge style brakes so it maybe a bit of a bump from behind when stopping but they work rather well.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:48 PM
ilovware
New User
Thanks so much! I'm a towing dummy, what do you mean "shift down a gear", I'm driving a automatic. I know that a dumb question, it even sound dumb to me.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:54 PM
senix
Super Moderator
on the column you have D and probably 3 2 and 1...
3=3rd gear

You have also have on the stock and button on the end perhaps for either OD on or off or perhaps tow/haul (very doubtful)

Experiment tomorrow with it.

When going down hills you can shift it down to 3rd use the motor to help you control speed...same as going up hill.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:04 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't get in a hurry, give yourself plenty of time. If you have never been to Ft. Carson, you headed to a great area. If I remember right U-haul supposedly has a 45 mph speed limit? I have pulled them at 60-65 as the tires were not rated for much more than that. If you are pulling a trailer that is completely loaded and heavy, just slow down a bit. Keep an eye on tire pressures on the trailer. I am assuming that you are US Army, if so thank you for your service and dedication.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:55 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
on the column you have D and probably 3 2 and 1...
3=3rd gear

You have also have on the stock and button on the end perhaps for either OD on or off or perhaps tow/haul (very doubtful)

Experiment tomorrow with it.

When going down hills you can shift it down to 3rd use the motor to help you control speed...same as going up hill.
not to pick on you, but a 30 second google search shows the 2010 navigator to have the 6r80 transmission.... so...

your gear shifter will show: P R N D 3 2 1, and you will have a button on the end of the shifter for tow/haul mode.

this means you will have a minimum of control over the function of the transmission. Putting the shifter in 3,2,or 1 locks the transmission in that gear *only*. so if you have it in 3, you will start in 3rd and it will not shift up or down from that gear. when descending grades, if you place the shifter in 3, you will drop *THREE* gears, which may or may not be excessive.

best advice, use the tow/haul function and let the truck sort it out. use cruise if you like, or don't ... it is up to you. the transmission will shift quite a bit, but it will be fine.

when descending hills with the tow/haul function activated, the truck will, at times, downshift when you depress the brakes to help you hold back on the hills. it will hold that gear until you:
1, press the accelerator, and it will upshift
2, press the brake, which may or may not cause it to downshift again.

my approach would be to place the shifter in D, activate the tow/haul, and concentrate on driving the truck. the truck will take care of the rest. no real worries otherwise, you have plenty of truck for the job.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:55 AM
ilovware
New User
Thanks so much meborder,
I don't feel picked on, because even if I did take the time to google it, I still would not have understood what a 6r80 transmission was or what functions it has. Thanks so much for the information you provided. I found the button you referred too. I feel so much better about this move now. You won't believe the horror stories I've heard concerning tearing up my transmission trying to pull a trailer that far and through the mountains.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:09 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
meborder nailed it...btw he was referring to the other poster in his comment. That uHaul trailer will be no problem to tow.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:42 AM
ilovware
New User
Thanks Guys!!! You don't know how you have helped me. God Bless and HOOAH!!!!

Old 09-13-2013, 10:13 PM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
As seen in my advitar picture I have pulled a 6x12 u haul with my f150 v6 truck. They pull very easy!! They do have automatic surge brakes and work well! The surge brakes work inside the trailer tongue. If the truck slows down the force on the trailer tongue is used to generate braking power on the trailer. The hitch has its own brake master cylinder and fluid. So when force is put on the hitch it operates just like a brake pedal in your truck. U haul trailers are rated at 55 mph and 45 mph for tow dolly. But you can bump it up to 65 judging by the condition and air pressure in the tires. Use your mirrors to watch your trailer. Adjust your mirrors to be able to see the full length of the trailer and drivers behind you. Slow down to stop earlier , turn wider and slower and your trip will be easier than expected. You will enjoy it

Old 09-14-2013, 04:19 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's the specs on your Navigator as far as tongue weight and potential trailer weight?

Might mention that you should load the trailer such that it's not "back-heavy" ...
It seems more convenient to load the heavy things on the back,
but you shouldn't in that it will make for some 'fun' trailer antics...

You don't have to get the bath scale out to weigh tongue weight,
but if you have some HEAVY items like fridges, etc...
do put most of the heavier things at or in front of the trailer wheels...

and just drive it semi normal - nothing special other than two things...
swing a little wide on all turns since your trailer will track 'inside' your truck tires,
and if your tranny is shifting up and down every few seconds hunting for gears, just turn tow/haul on or OD off and carry on soldier !