6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

How would/does Ford look upon a aftermarket fuel filter system & warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 05:00 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How would/does Ford look upon a aftermarket fuel filter system & warranty

Yea, I guess I am a little gun shy with getting back into the diesel arena after being gone for awhile. Much of this is due to the new emissions, DEF and fuel filter/moisture concerns.

I have been reading on the Dieselsite.com website as well as many reviews of the system and it appears that it could be a costly investment towards saving against even more costly repairs of the fuel system.

Now I know that manufactures for the greater part don't like owners altering any part of their end product. One of their greatest cards they hold is the phrase "Warranty Denied" card. Which I can understand if you were to add a tuner, intake, exhaust or emission altering device.

However, when it comes to not removing a OEM items, but rather adding to the filtering process such as the installation of the Dieselsite fuel filter system and or the Dieselsite coolant filter system, does anyone know what Fords position would or has been.

Anyone have any impute that they care to share? And first hands experience with these products and the results? Anyone having discussed this subject with their tech or Ford in the past?

The fuel system is not inexpensive to purchase, and looks to be a straight forward installation. Simply put you are adding two filter before the Ford OEM lower frame fuel filter. But, would it be $700 well spent and just as important accepted by Ford?

In hind sight when I look at the question it seems a bit out of kilter. I carry a $1,000 deductible on a $60,000 truck with my auto insurance, yet I'm willing to spend $700 as insurance towards clean fuel and the possible savings of a major repair to the fuel system.

What to do, What to do?

Old 09-02-2013, 05:55 PM
gsxr1300
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I woul bet that if you had a fuel related warranty issue the may deny it because you altered the fuel system. But it shouldn't matter if say your your mirror stopped working or something non fuel related.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:07 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would bet money you will never even have the issue... It has happenned to a such small minority of people I would bet you would win the lotto before you have the hpfp warranty denial...I would also bet if you did have a hpfp failure and you modified the fuel system in ANY way ,you would get an automatic denial of warranty by ford.I drive my truck daily and havent had a problem yet.I keep the tank full to avoid condensation and empty water seperater monthly.Ive yet to have a drop of water.Knock on wood.Cant sweat the stuff that prolly isnt going to happen.Theres enough other things to worry about.jmo

Old 09-02-2013, 06:07 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Can't answer the ? on the fuel filter but I do have an AM coolant and power steering filters on my 05 and Ford has had no problems with them. In fact my dealership likes them. However what Manny and Moe likes, Jack may not. I'd talk to your dealer to be on the safe side. The a/m filters I installed can't be blamed for injector problems which are big bucks.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:16 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,412 Likes on 1,007 Posts
If I were you I would lower the insurance deductible and drive the truck. Drain the separator monthly or if you suspect a bad fuel supply.

change the filters , before the computer tells you. I changed at 10K on my 6.4 and never had a fuel problem and the technology and concern was the same as on this motor.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:19 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
All good points. But......

Maybe the answer is simply drain the separator weekly, keep extra filters on hand, use the Ford Motorcraft fuel supplement, fill up at busy fuel stops and head on down the road.

Wouldn't it be nice if Ford offered an Insurance Policy aimed strictly at providing coverage to this problem? Kind of an Insurance Rider in either a one time price premium for the life of the warranty period. Or even a year by year renewable policy. Even if it were offered with varying deductibles there would more than likely be enough of a market for it that it could end up being a money making supplement for Ford.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:26 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can drain it weekly I guess but why stop there? Do it daily..lol....I would think once a month is enough.Thats what Ive done and I dont fill at a busy fuel depot.Small town.Seriously I wouldnt worry.You have a great truck and just drive the heck out of it.People post problems on a forum as you know.But they are a small minority.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:37 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,412 Likes on 1,007 Posts
Originally Posted by rtazz17
You can drain it weekly I guess but why stop there? Do it daily..lol....I would think once a month is enough.Thats what Ive done and I dont fill at a busy fuel depot.Small town.Seriously I wouldnt worry.You have a great truck and just drive the heck out of it.People post problems on a forum as you know.But they are a small minority.
I have drained daily in some circumstances...

Old 09-02-2013, 06:42 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 899 Likes on 325 Posts
I put the dieselsite FF/WS on my 2011. Yep, expensive. I have always felt that additional filtration is a good thing. On my 2005 6.0 I added the coolant filter within the first 10K miles, and based on lots of reading, probably saved my EGR cooler in the long run.

Needed? Only you can decide for yourself. It is the first thing after the tank, and at a quick glance, can see through the clear cups to see if there is a "problem". Since the dieselsite filter utilizes the factory fittings, Ford would be hard pressed to prove it caused any kind of failure. Could they try? Sure.

I personally just wanted a little additional insurance against a water problem. Maybe I wasted my money, maybe I didnt.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:45 PM
n3hcp
Senior User
I too put the Dieselsite filter on my F-350. When the truck is around home, I get my fuel from the same high volume dealer every time and really have no worries. But when we're on the road with the 5th wheel RV we sometimes have to get fuel from some less then idle places. There's not always a Pilot, a Flying J, or any big chain station nearby.

It's comforting, and good for the piece of mind, to be able to just glance under the truck at the campground and know what's flowing through the fuel system. INHO it was worth the price, if only for that.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:16 AM
mrjc
Senior User
Talk to the dealer you will be taking your truck if you have to take it in for warranty work, bring info for the tech to see, pics would be nice and show them how the lines plug into the stock setup. Maybe they have already seen one. If you put them on, please post back often about how much, if any, water or stuff you trap and let us know where you fill up. A few guys here have put additional fuel filters in but we never hear back from them if these filters are actually blocking more water than just the DFCM. my guess is negligible, but if they do stop a glass of water then it would pay for itself. Optilube additive got the high marks for lubricity in Diesel sites additive test which is what the HPFP needs to extend its life as well as no moisture. I am with everyone else...don't worry about it. What if you didn't read anything about the pump? More people appear to be pouring DEF in the fuel than pumps than have went south from moisture from loaf and jug fuel or any other brand. What if all the dealers had an open database we had access to that grouped problems into more than 10 failures across the county of any item. Would we all be planning ahead for failure based on what we read about the transmission?, the shocks? the turbos, the Nox sensors? What your doing isn't going to hurt anything but let us know what the dealer said and how the system works? Good Luck

Old 09-03-2013, 12:36 PM
riden82
Senior User
I have had my truck 3 years now(sept2010) and do change the filters out every 15 or so. however I am terrible at remembering, but ill bet that i have only crawled under the truck a hand full of times to drain the filter in the last 3 years. I have not once had the WIF light come on and i have filled up at some backroad stations. I would put the extra filter on if i had some extra money around for it just becuase i am bad about remembering to drain. If you did have a fuel related issue why not just take it off before you take it to the dealer, they would never know.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:20 PM
n3hcp
Senior User
Originally Posted by riden82
If you did have a fuel related issue why not just take it off before you take it to the dealer, they would never know.
Exactly. All that's requires is one wrench, a small screwdriver to help unlatch the connector, and about 15 minutes.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:35 PM
WK15
More Turbo
Received 117 Likes on 75 Posts
I added the DIESELSITE 2011-2013 Ford 6.7L Fuel Filter / Water Separator to my truck. Do you need them?? I don't know but I do feel a bit better knowing I have extra filters inline. I carry spares of both OEM and aftermarket set-up. So, I'm pretty happy.

As mentioned its a bit on the expensive side but it was my choice. I already had my at the dealers and they liked the set-up. The Service Manager stated that if I ever have a problem to call him directly.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:55 PM
RobFlag
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd suggest that asking "your" dealer, might not be very helpful since most of us tend to put some long distance miles on these trucks. You'll never know where the failure occurs and having your home dealer give you a verbal won't really carry much weight anywhere else (or maybe even a week later at your dealer).

Use an additive, drain monthly, enjoy!

Quick Reply: How would/does Ford look upon a aftermarket fuel filter system & warranty