1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super Duty vs. F-150 - what am I missing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 01:47 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastfwd
This is very surprising to me. I'm in QC, Canada and my insurance premiums on my lariat 2011 are only slightly higher than they were on my 2008 acura TL. A much more expensive(double) truck for 7$ more per month. They did require me to install a GPS tracking anti-theft which was not required in the TL.
The big difference on this end is the F250, on a business owners policy, is treated as a working vehicle whether or not I take it to the mall or it sits in the shop. The F150 can be rated as a daily driver, no work. This is also the reason I no longer own the F SuperDuty boom truck as it does not make financial sense even though I kept employees out of it. Simply too expensive to insure.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:12 PM
Slpybeartx
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sammy77
Did you even look at the specs? Maybe you should..

I don't need to convince you of anything, I have nothing to sell here.

Here are the specs that disagree with me:

2013 Ford F-150 | View Interior Specifications | Ford.com

2013 Ford Super Duty | View Interior Specifications | Ford.com
So, if I read this right... in leg room, the Front seats compare like this on crew cabs between the F150, F250...

F150 = 41.4"
F250 = 41.1"

Okay, so up front you gain 3/10" in a half ton.

And rear leg room compares like so...

F150 = 43.5"
F250 = 42.1"

So, yes, you have almost an extra inch and a half in the back. That can be significant. Especially if you are using car seats. In either vehicle though, you have the same up front. And the rear pax have more than that.

Shoulder room and hip room is important too...

Shoulder room front/rear

F150 = 65.9/65.5
F250 = 68.1/68.0

Over two more inches for each seat in the front and rear in shoulder room.

Hip room front/rear

F150 = 60.5/64.6
F250 = 67.6/67.6

Over Seven inches more for the 250 over the 150 in seat width in the front. Three more inches in the rear.

Both Vehicles have nice cabins. I'll tip my hat to the half ton for having an a bit more length in the cab. But I prefer my roomy, wide seating in my SuperDuty.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:41 PM
backbeat
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drewtk
I thread I can *really* relate to. Last week I traded in my 2012 F-150, Ecoboost, crew cab with 6.5 foot bed for a 2013 F-250 6.7, crew cab with 6.5 foot bed. My F-150 also had tow mirrors, so these two trucks are almost the exact same length and width. I stepped up to the 250 because I needed the towing capacity, and the 150 wasn't quite enough. Plus, who can argue with 800 ft lbs?

Others above have already mentioned the differences between these trucks, but few have actually owned the recent models like I have and had to live with them. Here's what I've noticed in my one week of ownership. These are relative comparisons, so don't take any of them to mean either truck is 'bad.'

- Fuel economy. I was getting around 17.x MPG in the F150; I'm seeing around 16.x in the F250 on the same commute.

- Ride quality. The 250 rides quite a bit rougher, although I'm hoping that upgrading the shocks (I have the FX4) and steering stabilizer will help. It isn't bad by any means. It's just that Ford has really tuned the F150 to ride like a car almost whereas the 250 rides like a truck. Road / wind noise is about the same.

- Handling. The F150 definitely handles better. It tracks straighter and takes the turns better. It feels more agile.

- Power. This is the strange part. The 6.7 in the 250 has more power on paper, but the 150 with Ecoboost accelerates quicker, as confirmed by the 0 to 60 times in car reviews. Throw an 8000 lb trailer on the back and I'm sure this equation flips.

- Height. Parking garages can be an issue with the 250, which is around 5 inches taller than my 150. My 250 can't fit in the airport parking garage, whereas the 150 could.

- Weight. According to my local CAT scale, my F150 weighed 6000 lbs, my F250 is 8000 lbs. That makes the fuel economy of the 250 pretty amazing, considering that it's carrying around 33% more weight.

The 150 is a better vehicle for day to day, non-towing driving, but I still like the 250 better so I have no regrets, especially if you need the towing capacity like I did. Let me know if you have any questions about these two fine trucks.
Drewtk - your example is perfect for my comparison. You hit on all the points, and I appreciate the detail.

I drove one today for a fairly long ride, and I enjoyed it. Sure, it' bounces more than a 150, but it's a truck, and that's what I expect. I hit some good bumps, and all was fine. The power was very nice!

The parking garage issue isn't helpful, but it's not a deal breaker.

I also checked on insurance as I was curious, and it's an additional $400 on my premium for the 250, and about $300 for the 150. I don't know what another car would cost, but I imagine it wouldn't be much different.

Here are a few questions for you: 1) The roof clearance lights. Do those stay on with the parking lights, or can they be switched off? I don't care for them, and two of the trucks I've looked at both have them as an option. 2) What is the #9900 GVWR package all about? It limits the GVWR to 9900 lbs. Why? I understand that there may be certain restrictions that require this, but I'm not sure how that might impact me. 3) FX4 suspension. Does that produce a stiffer ride? 4) Do you have the supplemental heater? It seems like a nice option.

Thank you!

Old 09-04-2013, 09:15 PM
drewtk
New User
I'll answer what I can. The GVWR packages are just "paper" options to meet state weight restrictions. It shouldn't matter to you unless you're going to tow something really heavy, like over 10K pounds. Even then, I view the GVWR 'option' as more of a paper restriction. The true GVWR of the 250 is higher than 10K IMO.

I've heard the FX4 package is a stiffer ride because the shocks aren't that great. Poor shocks can make the ride feel jittery. I'm just passing along what I've read. Read up on people who have upgraded their FX4 shocks to Bilstein 5100's or Rancho 9000's.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:26 AM
backbeat
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by drewtk
I'll answer what I can. The GVWR packages are just "paper" options to meet state weight restrictions. It shouldn't matter to you unless you're going to tow something really heavy, like over 10K pounds. Even then, I view the GVWR 'option' as more of a paper restriction. The true GVWR of the 250 is higher than 10K IMO.

I've heard the FX4 package is a stiffer ride because the shocks aren't that great. Poor shocks can make the ride feel jittery. I'm just passing along what I've read. Read up on people who have upgraded their FX4 shocks to Bilstein 5100's or Rancho 9000's.
Thanks, Drewtk. I'll take a look around on the FX4 question.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:59 AM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
I heard nothing good about the stock fx4 shocks.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The FX4 is an inexpensive option that adds hill descent control, skid plates, cheap Rancho shocks, and most importantly resale value, at least around here. No reason not to get it. Worst case scenario you upgrade the shocks sometime down the road.

Originally Posted by Crazy001
Oil changes can be over $100 on the diesel
For reference, even my dealer doesn't charge that...

Old 09-05-2013, 11:48 AM
backbeat
Mountain Pass
Okay - I can see that FX4 is not popular. Makes sense...

Old 09-05-2013, 12:32 PM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sammy77
... snipped ... It's your money, buy what makes you happy.
Agree 100% with Sammy.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:37 PM
backbeat
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by sunuvabug
Agree 100% with Sammy.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:58 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Firekite

For reference, even my dealer doesn't charge that...
Neither does mine

Old 09-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by backbeat
Okay - I can see that FX4 is not popular. Makes sense...
No, I think you read that wrong. You should get the FX4 package. It doesn't cost much, and it adds some nice features. Plus usually the resale value is a little higher (or at least more people will be interested in it). The only downside is some people don't like the different shocks that come on it. Fine, worst-case scenario you end up replacing the shocks at some point.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:22 PM
backbeat
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Firekite
No, I think you read that wrong. You should get the FX4 package. It doesn't cost much, and it adds some nice features. Plus usually the resale value is a little higher (or at least more people will be interested in it). The only downside is some people don't like the different shocks that come on it. Fine, worst-case scenario you end up replacing the shocks at some point.
I see. I guess it was the shocks piece that I focused on, and that was the negative. The hill descent control is nice. Skid plates are fine. I'd delete the stickers if the Platinum actually came with them.

Thanks for the clarification.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:26 PM
backbeat
Mountain Pass
Thank you for all the helpful thoughts and answers. There are still a few open ones out there, and hopefully we'll get some comments.

I'd like to hijack my own thread for a moment, and ask some thoughts on color options: Tuxedo Black or Ruby Red. ?

Which do you like? I'm assuming black has a better resale value, although that's not much of a concern for me.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:55 PM
Big Vic
Senior User
Black looks great...if you keep it clean and waxed. Probably requires more attention to keep looking great and shows scratches or defects more than some other colors. Not sure, but it may affect temp inside the vehicle when in the sun more than other colors.

Quick Reply: Super Duty vs. F-150 - what am I missing?