6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Back in the saddle, but trying to get a grip on the new.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 11:54 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Back in the saddle, but trying to get a grip on the new.

I have owned one of just about ever version Ford diesel motors at one time or the other from the 6.9 up to the 6.4. Took a few years out to go V10, then Ecoboost F150, but now there is a new 2013 FX4 F350 6.7 filling the garage space.

I had read plenty enough online to scare me away from buying one, but then maybe I was just not bright enough to run. Most pertaining to the fear of moisture and metal in the fuel rail and non warranty coverage problems some have posted about.

However, I plain to stay on top of filter draining and changes and do what ever I can to stay ahead of the game and protect my engine as well as my wallet.

I do however have a few questions that I could use some assistance on.

What brand fuel filters are the most of you running? Should I stick with Ford branded products or is there another respected option out there. And where are you finding the better prices?

Do you run an fuel additives to help with keeping moisture out of the fuel and assist in lubrication of the fuel system?

What is the best way to add DEF to the DEF tank? I understand that Ford sells a nozzle to attach to the jug, is this simple screw it on and pour it in set up? Or am I just as well off pouring it in with the assistance of a funnel? Not sure I want to use the DEF pump at a fuel stop as it would be just another opportunity for moisture from the fuel stops tank to enter my truck.

Any other help or suggestions I would be more than pleased to accept.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:58 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jonrjen
I have owned one of just about ever version Ford diesel motors at one time or the other from the 6.9 up to the 6.4. Took a few years out to go V10, then Ecoboost F150, but now there is a new 2013 FX4 F350 6.7 filling the garage space.

I had read plenty enough online to scare me away from buying one, but then maybe I was just not bright enough to run. Most pertaining to the fear of moisture and metal in the fuel rail and non warranty coverage problems some have posted about.

However, I plain to stay on top of filter draining and changes and do what ever I can to stay ahead of the game and protect my engine as well as my wallet.

I do however have a few questions that I could use some assistance on.

What brand fuel filters are the most of you running? Should I stick with Ford branded products or is there another respected option out there. And where are you finding the better prices?

Do you run an fuel additives to help with keeping moisture out of the fuel and assist in lubrication of the fuel system?

What is the best way to add DEF to the DEF tank? I understand that Ford sells a nozzle to attach to the jug, is this simple screw it on and pour it in set up? Or am I just as well off pouring it in with the assistance of a funnel? Not sure I want to use the DEF pump at a fuel stop as it would be just another opportunity for moisture from the fuel stops tank to enter my truck.

Any other help or suggestions I would be more than pleased to accept.

welcome back.. every single truck from every manufacturer has issues.

DEF, I buy the 2.5 gal things from AZ/OReily/Walmart.. comes with a nozzle. remove screw on lid, screw on nozzle, insert in filler, turn tank upside down til empty.

I have used the Ford PM22 lube but can't tell any difference.
I have used nothing but the ford filters.

Sam

Old 09-02-2013, 12:11 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Nice truck! Three new white DRW trucks in two weeks.

I stick with Ford filters.

I have not used it but everyone says the Ford nozzle and container is the best option, but the nozzle isn't included and has to be purchased (can be reused).
I purchase the BlueDEF 2.5gal jugs. Have to get the nozzle just right so it doesn't leak but it gets the job done.
Best to do this in a quiet area if possible so you can hear what's going on so you don't overfill.
And as I always say, don't be distracted. You don't want this in your fuel tank.

I use Motorcraft PM-22-A with most tanks of fuel.
I simply pour 4oz in there because it's easy to keep track of but that's actually more than enough for a 20-22 gal fill each time.

For purchase locations, you have RockAuto who is an FTE sponsor and you also have Diesel Filters Online.

RockAuto Parts Catalog

Ford 6.7 liter Powerstroke Turbo Diesel Truck Filters - Diesel Filters,Additives,brake rotors, and brake pads for Chevy, Dodge and Ford Diesel Trucks

Old 09-02-2013, 12:18 PM
mikethomas
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have used the Ford DEF in the 2.5 gal jug and nozzel. Very simple and straight forward. I too have am running the PM 22 cetane booster and find that I get a little better fule milage when I do so. The dealership is doing my filter changes. Expensive but gives me piece of mind, kinda.

Mike

Old 09-02-2013, 01:13 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Old 09-02-2013, 01:19 PM
Javi1
Senior User
Originally Posted by mikethomas
I have used the Ford DEF in the 2.5 gal jug and nozzel. Very simple and straight forward. I too have am running the PM 22 cetane booster and find that I get a little better fule milage when I do so. The dealership is doing my filter changes. Expensive but gives me piece of mind, kinda.

Mike
Ditto & the PM22 does give me a couple of mpg plus making the motor even quieter.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:19 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I assume that this is the additive that you are speaking about. I found it here on Amazon for $56.33 a gallon with free shipping, it that a fair price?
seems so.. never seen a gal before.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:32 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Nice looking truck there! I have just enough miles tow now. Take a trip is the answer.

Go ahead and drain that separator now. May have been sitting for a while with very little fuel in the tank.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:39 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Old 09-02-2013, 01:41 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by senix
Nice looking truck there! I have just enough miles tow now. Take a trip is the answer.

Go ahead and drain that separator now. May have been sitting for a while with very little fuel in the tank.
Good idea, it was manufactured in 06/13

Old 09-02-2013, 03:02 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Very nice Truck....

Old 09-02-2013, 03:23 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Good idea, it was manufactured in 06/13
Same as mine..be very interesting in the sequence number. Wonder how one could tell.

Last part of my vin is de B84710

Old 09-02-2013, 03:43 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by senix
Same as mine..be very interesting in the sequence number. Wonder how one could tell.

Last part of my vin is de B84710
B85420

Looks pretty close when you consider how many of trucks Ford builds.

I purchased a F150 EcoBoost crewcab a few months ago and really wanted one in the Platinum White, but went with Tuxedo Black to match the wifes 2012 Taurus Limited. A couple of weeks after the F150 purchase the wife found a new 2013 Taurus SHO in the Platinum White so we bought it. Only made sense to go Platinum White on the F350 this time around.

I must say, you have a beautiful truck there!!!!

Old 09-02-2013, 03:48 PM
CarlT100
Postmaster
Nice looking truck; congratulations. I use Ford filters and buy DEF from where ever it is convenient. I drain my water separator weeny. I have yet to find water in it.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:00 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Congrats on the new rig!

Quick Reply: Back in the saddle, but trying to get a grip on the new.