1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1ST-RIDE progress pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 02:43 PM
r_reed
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
beautiful truck, very nice work. dick r.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:49 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Ilya, guaranteed the speedo & gauge cluster will be in the correct places on the stock truck so as not to offend you . Don't take the banter too seriously . Just joking around . Have any luck locating a spare tire carrier bolt ? Later , Denny

Old 09-02-2013, 03:56 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Got one. Email me.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:11 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Subscribing. Beautiful workmanship.

How long have ya been working on her?

Old 09-02-2013, 07:37 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Originally Posted by arctic y block
Subscribing. Beautiful workmanship.

How long have ya been working on her?
You are correct it is female . A man would never give you struggles . Sporadically been working on the 1ST-RIDE for a good 15 yrs. One has this eating habit !! That is you have to eat . I was involved in 2 traveling race teams for 10 yrs. A Hooter's Pro Cup team out of Lavonia , Ga. & a super late model in town so it took some time away from my passion but was beneficial to it in many ways as I had access to & still do to a machine shop w/ many toys , Bridgeport , 3 lathes , 8 ' sheet metal break , box break Tig & Mig , and much more .The last 3 yrs of the Super Late we finished 5th. 4th & 3rd. It had a 635 H.P. Rahilly engine . I did tires & fuel on both cars and much fab work when people wrecked you .This is not the first foray into the show car world . Had a custom, show van that was unbeaten '82 & '83 in Fla . state competition in the ISCA World of Wheels car shows . If the 1ST-RIDE is finished this winter ( by Feb.) will go to B-ham , Ala. the nearest ISCA show & try it again . It is addictive !! See pics of van in gallery. Had 15K in the van & the 1ST-RIDEi s just shy of 30K .

Old 09-02-2013, 07:46 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Can't wait to see the rest of it! beautiful truck. Have a friend in the chrome business?

Old 09-02-2013, 08:06 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Yes I do . It fits well in my back pocket !!! Always had a thing for chrome . The drive shaft , trans pan ., oil pan , all brackets, shock bolts , gauge cluster housing , all removable engine items , glove box door , steering column , brake pedal , bumpers, louvered cowl panel , all linkage & even the freeze plugs were plated on the van . Had to help plate the drive shaft as it floated . He had never done one before . It was called the "Flame One -Phase Two" Painted 7 coats of Hemi irridescent orange , gold pearl , candy apple tangerine flames . more gold pearl & cleared . Sun glasses required to look at it in the sun .It was Bright !! Had 40 1st place trophies when I was 40 . The most memorable shows were the ISCA and the Halloween truckin in the Keys 1983 . Best in Pro Full Custom & best paint out of 262 vans . I frequently wonder what ever happened to it . It was beautiful !! Strange thing about all the trophies is you will spend 1K for a $20 trophy & you can't even make soup out of them !!

Old 09-03-2013, 12:57 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

The speedo & gauge positions were switched by design .With the old large dia. steering wheel you could look through it to see the speedo . With a smaller dia. wheel which it is now combined w/ the tilt / tele it is much easier to see the speed off to the left .In driving position the wheel is all the way in and tilted down almost all the way . The colunm is out of a '80 Caddy eldo which my best friend gave to me.He worked at a caddy dealer at the time .Chucked the wheel adapter in the lathe & cleaned it up a little .It was originally cast flat black. Not enough bling for me .Final polish was with some 3M micro cloth & Flitz polish .Seems every part of this build needed some fine tuning work.Most every modification created 2 more problems . I guess part of the deal .Explains the long time of the build a little .

Old 09-03-2013, 04:33 PM
dennisb56
Laughing Gas
Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts
BEAUTIFUL!! Loved seeing all these pictures, your truck is great!!!

Old 09-03-2013, 05:03 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So when can we expect the "First Ride's" First Drive video?

Anytime soon?

Inquiring Truck **** nuts "Need Ta Know"

Old 09-03-2013, 06:29 PM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
Can't wait to see the rest of it! beautiful truck. Have a friend in the chrome business?
I was just going to ask if his mother owned a chrome shop when I saw AX's post (only a mother could love a guy that much !

Old 09-03-2013, 06:43 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just love finally assembly!!! Makes all the trials and tribulations worth it!!! Congratulations

Old 09-03-2013, 08:24 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

The friend in the chrome business I was referring to is the wallet !! or the other side of the shop where the magic wood working , furniture repair refinishing & restoration takes place . Have some pics in album of some projects . Am very proud of the heirloom chest with the inlay. All the veneer in the fans of each was from my Dad who died April '03 .A design out of out of my head . No hard drawings .Completed the 2 matching night stands in Feb.and am working on the triple dresser to match . One of the nightstands & a 4' x 4' piece of wood working art will be in the cnty. fair in mid Feb.So all this life time of woodworking funds the custom vehicle habit . At least I have something to show for all the hard work that is done . Halloween '13 will be 30 yrs. clean & sober !! No smoking , drinking , drugs in my life .

The heirloom chest is willed to only daughter (firstriders_daughter on FTE ) as are the nightstands , triple dresser . headboard & foot board Not started yet but will have plenty time in 1 yr. as the SS app. will be filed July 1st YEA. Love my work but the people are wearing me out & am tired of working on junk .

Restored Genny w/ new I.D. plate . Sorry if the cabinet pics are a little off topic but you can see how the attention for detail carries over to the trucks .

Attached Images        
Old 09-03-2013, 08:55 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Originally Posted by arctic y block
So when can we expect the "First Ride's" First Drive video?

Anytime soon?

Inquiring Truck **** nuts "Need Ta Know"
It moved under it's own power for the first time in 34 yrs on April 26 '06 at 8:30 in the evening driving it home from the race shop after completing the wiring with one buddy in front & one behind . Had lights , current tag & ins. , no doors & a stainless safety wire for a throttle . What a trip that was ( only 4.5 mi ) Slept very little that night ,up early , worked on truck then left for B-ham , Ala. to see daughter & get a 'Dega fix !! Odometer reads 17 mi. Oh yeah , a video of proper road test will be posted this winter . Had it out when the local gestapo had the speed checker trailer set up down the road . Made few passes by to check speedo .Reads correct .I think the driving style will be slow & be noticed . It will burn the tired very easily . Am looking forward to taking it to the local weekly car show. I do not think they are ready for it .Am really looking forward to taking both of them to the car show . The 1ST-RIDE & the stock truck .,parked side by side , a stone bone stock truck & a custom modified truck both the same color .

Old 09-03-2013, 10:01 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
That's some beautiful woodwork as well!!!!

Quick Reply: 1ST-RIDE progress pics