Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-01-2013, 03:21 PM
Freshman User

eb4strom is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Eric's 1951 F5 build

OK, so I thought I was going to start this yesterday as I was waiting for my wife, while she was shopping. However, I was trying to do everything on her ipad, and me and her ipad don't get along very well. So, trial #2.....

Click the image to open in full size.

I bought this F5 about 4 months ago with the intention of just using the 239 Flathead in my other project (51 F1). However, it has become an obsession, and probably not a good one . It took me about 6 weekends to get the old motor running, that was after cleaning out all the nests in the engine and radiator, dirt in the engine, and replacing all the trashed wiring. I had to rebuild the carb (twice), and restab the distributer (to get it timed correctly), but that sense of accomplishment when it first turned over was all worth it.

The night I first got it fired up, it was about midnight, then I stayed up until 3 am getting it running right. The next morning I was up early, because now I wanted to see if it would drive. I topped off the tranny and rear end oil, then fired it up. Pushed in the clutch, put it in gear, and.....

Bless my wife, she is the greatest, I had no idea she was going to make an entire video. This was my first drive, with a bucket for a seat, a 5 gallon gas can as a tank, and a fire extinguisher close at hand. Awesome, just Awesome .

Currently, I have the bed off, and am in the process of rebuilding the brakes (not an easy job on this one). This is what she looked like last night:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Freshman User

Woops, didn't quite finish

Sorry about that, I hit the enter button too many times, and I didn't get a chance to preview. So I hope the video link works, and I wanted to say thank you to everyone in this Forum, because I have used it extensively in my progress.

I will keep you all posted on the build.

Eric
Old 09-01-2013, 03:31 PM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
She did a nice job on the video. Looks like it is coming along nicely for ya.

And ya don't need brakes, they just slow ya down.

85 XLT Bronco 351W HO 4V Dual Pipes 33X12.5 BFG's
62 Uni 390 C6 Custom Cab Sold for 9.5K
Don't just Modify it Fordify it
A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 09-01-2013, 03:47 PM
Posting Guru

The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.
Change the seals while you're in there. If you get leather seals, soak them in motor oil overnight. If you get neoprene seals, I'd suggest a coat of clean lithium grease.
These brakes separate men from boys.

By the way! Your Mrs is happy for you. She's a keeper. Don't ever lose that love.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:49 PM
Freshman User

Arctic,

I will tell her you thought so.

I wasn't too concerned about the brakes, because the kinda worked, but one set of duals was locking up and I was leaving skid marks all over my driveway. Can't have that mess, besides I might actually drive it on the highway some day.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:58 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Horvaths View Post
Change the seals while you're in there. If you get leather seals, soak them in motor oil overnight. If you get neoprene seals, I'd suggest a coat of clean lithium grease.
These brakes separate men from boys.
Jeremy,

I am going to do everything while I am in there. Bearings, races, seals, brakes, and some paint too. These definitely separate the men from the boys.

Any idea where to get the brake parts?? I haven't started looking yet, I was going to try Napa or ??.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Posting Guru

The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb4strom View Post
Jeremy,

I am going to do everything while I am in there. Bearings, races, seals, brakes, and some paint too. These definitely separate the men from the boys.

Any idea where to get the brake parts?? I haven't started looking yet, I was going to try Napa or ??.
Not exactly sure of '51 F5 sizes, but, absolutely get a HiPo parts CD from EBay and look up "Betsy" on this forum. There are a number of tips for ~55 F500s. I relined my shoes myself. It's pretty easy.
NumberDummy is the penultimate resource for information on part numbers, specs, and availability. Then you take what information you can get and go on a scavenger hunt. Replace all of your brake lines. They get full of sediment that can trash your new parts. Flex lines and steel lines. I managed to salvage the short 1/4" lines between the rear wheel cylinders but all of the rest were trashed. I made the steel lines myself. The flex lines can still be found at NAPA.
I used a single '74 (F350) wheel cylinder to get 1&1/4" pistons and seals to do both fronts. Good luck and keep us posted. Not too many of the bigger trucks out there, even on cruise night!

I'm going to link some mid-size truck build threads:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...roject-61.html

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...xle-build.html

You'll relate to this one!:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...-whooping.html

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...1955-f500.html

Another nice one:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...uck-build.html

Last edited by The Horvaths; 09-01-2013 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Sorry, Betsy. Not sure where "Claire" came from. I know my wife hates being called by another woman's name!
Old 09-01-2013, 04:46 PM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
Also check out Joblot.com I think it is in NY for truck brake parts.

85 XLT Bronco 351W HO 4V Dual Pipes 33X12.5 BFG's
62 Uni 390 C6 Custom Cab Sold for 9.5K
Don't just Modify it Fordify it
A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 09-01-2013, 04:47 PM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
Great to see another larger one being preserved.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:48 PM
Postmaster

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Jeremy,

Welcome to FTE! That's a great way to open a build thread!

You won't find brake drums, so I hope yours are in good shape. They should be with that low mileage. The brake shoes can be relined, but you won't find new ones anywhere either. The brake wheel cylinders can be found at NAPA. I don't remember the number for the fronts, but the rears are NAPA UP4511. Also, I bought mine from Chuck at Chuck's Truck's and Job Lot in NY also has brake parts for these trucks.

Here's the NAPA link for the rear cylinders:
http://www.napaonline.com/

Here's one for Chuck's Truck's, but send him an email with what you need:
Chucks Trucks LLC., Ford Truck Parts and Restoration or CHUCK4850@aol.com

And here's for Job Lot but probably best to call them or send email:
http://www.joblotauto.com/ or (718) 468-8585 or joblot@joblotauto.com

Good luck and thanks for saving another F5!

1951 F4 "Betsy" Build Thread @ http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html
Old 09-01-2013, 05:02 PM
Posting Guru

harleymsn has a very good reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a very good reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a very good reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Jeremy,

Wheel cylinders, hoses, MC, lines etc. can mostly be obtained from NAPA. You will not find brake drums anywhere and few, if any places that will turn them (best bet is trying a large machine shop) the shoes are also not available, but a good brake/clutch shop can reline them. It probably has a booster, there is no exact replacement or rebuild kits, but NAPA carries a midland booster than can be made to work. Unless you are planning to use it as a hauling truck, you can bypass the booster and still have sufficient brakes. I had a problem with the brakes locking up after warming up, after replacing everything except the booster, it still happened. I bypassed the booster about 300 miles ago and no more problems, and the stopping power is good without it.
If you change hoses or wheel cylinders, make sure to retain the adapters on the wheel cylinders to reuse.
2009 Pontiac G3 the "roller-skate"

www.fordbonusbuilttrucks.com
Old 09-02-2013, 05:52 AM
Posting Guru

FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.
That was a very classic scene with the mountains in the background with a survivor motoring under original power. Well done. I'm also seriously envious of that four stall garage space...

Good luck with the big 'un.

19 and 49 F1 jes' like Henry II built

DW
Old 09-02-2013, 09:37 AM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
I hate to ask, but are those widowmakers? They look to be in good shape, but....
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/94...5-f-350-a.html
Old 09-02-2013, 09:50 AM
Post Fiend

truckdog62563 is a name known to alltruckdog62563 is a name known to alltruckdog62563 is a name known to alltruckdog62563 is a name known to alltruckdog62563 is a name known to alltruckdog62563 is a name known to all
Yup, widow makers. Would be the next thing to fix imho. Stu
'51 F-3; '51 F-3; '52 R32-4, '53 6M254 -parts/donors
'97 F-250 4WD/460/ZF5 - trailer duty
'03 E-450 Fun Mover; '07 E-350 parts hauler; '13 E-350 Lab taxi
Old 09-02-2013, 08:52 PM
Posting Guru

Can't forget Abby!
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...read-abby.html
This is a neat build.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:52 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks