N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Sweet September All Topic thread

Old 09-01-2013, 09:51 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 120 Likes on 116 Posts
Sweet September All Topic thread

Hello all,

Welcome to September 2013. Hot August has just departed, leaving us anxious for Fall, which is right around the corner, and none too soon if you ask me. Can't wait for the temps to start dropping. Anyway, hope everyone has a great day, and good rest of the Labor Day weekend.

Jim

Old 09-01-2013, 10:17 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
September already...really? I'm ready for the Fall. Fire up the grill and I'll be right over...

Old 09-01-2013, 12:36 PM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 683 Likes on 396 Posts
Happy days
Oh hey,, forgot to mention I seen a bona fide meth zombie walking on the bay bridge Tuesday. Couldnt weigh more than 110 lbs and was holding his shirt up with one hand and trying to touch his tongue to his chin. No walkways mind you he was meshing with the cars.
Thank God I`m normal.. Well you know

Old 09-01-2013, 03:29 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Normal? What is normal? He wasn't one of those non-normal people who wear their pants around there knees and wonder why they can't run was he?

Jim

Old 09-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Wow, look at this monstrosity. It must be close to 40 feet long!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-F-350-XLT-Lariat-Crew-Cab-Pickup-4-Door-1990-FORD-F350-DIESEL-TOW-TRUCK-/321196019653?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4ac8c64fc5&vxp=mtr
Too bad it is 2,130 miles from here, and a 5 speed manual trans. Not too mention huge. I don't need the ability to haul two vehicles at the same time, at least not when I am just starting up, however, I could always grow into it. And I would need to change front clips, as I don't like that particular style, but a flatbed tow truck would eliminate the need for a trailer. For $3,500 it is pretty cheap too. Wonder what the diesel bill would be to drive it from Tennessee to Fresno? (edit: $582 IF it can get 15 mpg on the highway)

Hey Joe, you ready for a road trip? Would only take us 32 hours of driving time to get it back here, we could take turns. Fly out there, buy it, then drive it back. I have figured out a possible way for me to be able to drive a manual trans truck, but have not put it to the test yet, so I don't know if it will work. Would be interesting to say the least. I would need to park it at a storage facility though, there is no way I could park it in my driveway without it sticking out into the street as my driveway is only 30 feet long. And if I parked it in front of my house, it would block the neighbor's driveway. LOL Even if the driveway was long enough, I doubt I would be able to back the truck into it. Not much room between my house, and the ones across the street. However, it sure looks cool. Gale Banks turbo kit would work on it too. Would need one to get that rolling giant moving. Wait, Scott has a HUGE driveway. I could park it there.

Already sent a message to the owner asking if it had AC and cruise control, and whether or not the tags are current. Even asked what kind of mileage it gets on the highway. Quick! Someone talk me out of it!!! LOL.

Jim

Old 09-01-2013, 09:20 PM
FI460
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Run Jim! No way do I see that hog ever getting 15 mpg! Cool truck for what it is, but I dont think it's what you need.

Feel better now?

Been a little sparse around here lately. I've got some pretty heavy classes this semester and 4 hours of commuting a day. Not a lot of FTE time

Old 09-01-2013, 10:54 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

I feel much better. Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Diesels are good, but that is one huge truck, and it is twice what I need. There has got to be a flatbed Ford tow truck closer than 2,100 miles away for sale.

Jim

Old 09-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Happy Labor Day Nor Cal FTE! Hope everyone enjoys the day off from labor.

Well, actually if that hog got anything over 11 mpg it would be better than the Bronco. Not practical for my needs at the moment though. I would buy the Chevy Dually before I traveled 2,300 miles to get that thing. The Chevy is less than 50 miles from here, however, the Chevy would get the same or worse mileage than the Bronco. And, it is not a crew cab dually, just an extended cab. Only reason I like it is because of the paint job. Well, that, and the rebuilt front end, and engine upgrades.

Jim

Old 09-02-2013, 09:35 AM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts
Jim I saw a really nice car hauler at the Shelby event at Sears Pt a few weeks ago. It was very nice. I'd love to have a car hauler.

If you're looking at diesels wait until after the GTG and you have a chance to see how much the guys love the 99-03 PSD's. Mine has 300,000 miles on it and gets 17 on the freeway and about 14 around town.

Here's the car hauler I saw.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:50 AM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well my ford pissing oil agin out the buttom of the turbo this time

Old 09-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

F350 FORD WEDGE RAMP BED TOW TRUCK CAR HAULER ROLL BACK WRECKER CAR TRAILER CALL in Commercial Trucks | eBay Motors

Found this on eBay also, much closer to what I am looking for. Still has that ugly (IMHO) front clip, and it's in Michigan, and the 460 gas engine instead of a diesel. If he was closer.... That thing is awesome, he even has a video of him loading and unloading a car on it. Problem is, he wants $6,900 for it, and it would cost me about $600 in gas alone to get it back here. No idea what airline flights to Michigan cost, but I would imagine $3-400. So add that to it, and it is an 8k truck. More than I want to pay.

Only tow truck I found on eBay in California is in Chowchilla, but it is an old '78 model with the old tow sling. I guess I'll stick with the idea of getting a dually and a car trailer. Even if I have to get the '89 Chevy, it is much closer, and would save me a ton of money, not only on the initial purchase price, but also in fuel to get it home. Just wish I could find a Ford 1 ton dually for $2k.

Joe, that is too bad that your truck is leaking oil. Is it an easy fix like an O ring or seal, or something much worse?

I did find a nice '96 Ford crew cab dually on eBay for $4k but it is in Ohio, and he says it leaks trans fluid from the bellhousing. He says it shifts hard, and doesn't slip, but eventually he would recommend I get it rebuilt. The truck is all white, with a gray interior, and I may just bite the bullet and get it. At least it is a Ford. It has the main options I am looking for, AC, cruise control, and auto trans.

Who knows? Maybe I'll get lucky and find one closer to home when I do have the money to do something about it.

Jim

Old 09-02-2013, 04:06 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Well turns out it was a fuel leak and some got in to the crank case so I'm have to Do a oil change

Old 09-02-2013, 04:10 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Old 09-02-2013, 04:14 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...&convertTo=USD here u go Jim it's even a auto tranny

Old 09-02-2013, 05:49 PM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's a pretty macho wrecker, Joe. Getting in & out of that would be painful on the knees after a while....I guess I'm starting to think like an old guy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sweet September All Topic thread