N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Sweet September All Topic thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 10:29 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
Happy thirsty Thursday Nor Cal FTE. Hope everyone has a great day.

Jim

Old 09-12-2013, 02:23 PM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Afternoon Hank and Jim!!!

-THe Great

Old 09-12-2013, 04:54 PM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
Howdee do Clint

Old 09-13-2013, 02:34 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Finally got my trailer.

Got smart this time and cropped the photos before uploading them. The trailer did not come with the reflectors, I bought them at Autozone and installed them. Did not come with a license plate either, but I already have an appointment with the DMV tomorrow to get a title for it, and get it registered. It appears to be overkill for what I need, just like the truck. "D" rated tires, brakes on all four wheels instead of two, and this thing is heavy, despite the builder claiming it can be moved easily by one man, I was unable to move it by myself. I was also unable to get it unhitched from my truck, because the crank would not go far enough to clear the hitch ball, or so I thought, turns out I made a rookie mistake, and did not pull the coupler latch up after taking the lock off. Well, after I realized that, and bought a 4x4 piece of wood at Home Depot and had them cut it into 4 pieces so I could stack it higher, and get it closer to the trailer jack I was able to get it unhitched. These pics were taken at the storage lot where it will spend most its time since it is 19 feet long, and unable to fit in my driveway. Had I been able to move it myself I could have disconnected it from the truck and wheeled it into the driveway. However, I can't move it, and the truck/trailer combo is too big for me to try and maneuver around in the mobile home park, especially since I can't see very well to back up. The camper shell limits my vision as does the tinted rear windows of the truck, and even the dually wheel tubs. On another note, the trailer brake controller seems to be faulty. Even with the dial set to the minimum, it is locking up the trailer's left side tires. And bucking and jerky at low speeds.

Starting to get a sick to my stomach feeling about starting this business. Buying and installing the winch is going to cost me $1,234, the trailer was $1,550 and because it is so high, the 4 foot ramps that came with it are only good for SUV's and trucks. Anything lower to the ground runs the risk of getting hung up on the edge of the trailer. And because it is so heavy, it is going to be difficult for me to move it. The builder says he can lengthen the ramps (by welding a second 4 foot section on to them) but that would double the weight of them and make them even harder for me to carry. He suggested getting ramps at Harbor Freight, however, those are designed for motorcycles as they have a limit of 600 lbs. I did find some on the internet, but they are in North Carolina, and cost $350 each, plus an additional $200 to truck freight them out here because they are too big for FedEx, or UPS. The person I talked to at that company suggested I find some in California to keep the shipping down. All these unexpected expenses are killing my budget. And the difficulty with the trailer is making me second guess my ability to use it effectively.

Jim

Old 09-13-2013, 06:00 PM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a sharp looking trailer tho!!!

-The Great

Old 09-13-2013, 07:58 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

The DMV appointment was not productive. The lady came out and checked the trailer, and the lights, and went back in, then came out a few minutes later and told me that I would need to take the trailer to the local CHP office and have them assign a VIN. Luckily the local CHP offices is less than a mile from that DMV office, however, I had to call there to set up an appointment, and it is setup for next Thursday at 8am. Yeah, the trailer looks sweet. One of the reasons I bought it over the one that was $1,200.

Jim

Old 09-14-2013, 12:41 AM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I'm working seven days a week after I'm off I apply to work for Jim till the next crush happens so u better be reasy to flip cars like hot cakes Jim cause I'm in workaholic mode

Old 09-14-2013, 12:43 AM
04badford
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Nighteyez
The DMV appointment was not productive. The lady came out and checked the trailer, and the lights, and went back in, then came out a few minutes later and told me that I would need to take the trailer to the local CHP office and have them assign a VIN. Luckily the local CHP offices is less than a mile from that DMV office, however, I had to call there to set up an appointment, and it is setup for next Thursday at 8am. Yeah, the trailer looks sweet. One of the reasons I bought it over the one that was $1,200.

Jim
Jim , Nice Trailer but too high in the back, reverse the ball tonung up to make back go down. you need some good sturdy ramps . Dove tail was the thinking because back was down already then ramp. this woories me alittle on fish tailing with the ball high and car weight on trailer. even tho you have compensate for toung up Trailer Axle counter balance comes into Play. Need front Trailer Guard ( is a Must) I had a Jeep brake the straps and hit my old truck tail gate. wish for the D-rings and good chain. P.s Just a concerned Freind

Old 09-14-2013, 02:21 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Joe, no worries, you can help me flip cars/trucks anytime.

Scott, the ball hitch is already up. 5 and a quarter rise. I took the no rise 3 way ball off because it was way too low. The tie down straps arrived yesterday as did the bridle. Will not be able to tow anything until the CHP gives me a VIN. Also need to find some ramps. I may go with those from North Carolina, but I have not tried trailertrader.com yet. I wish the trailer was a dovetail, but it is too late now, I already bought it. The other trailer I was looking at is not a dove tail either, but it was lower to the ground than this one. However, that person never returned my call. What is a front trailer guard? Or more importantly, how expensive is it?

Jim

Old 09-14-2013, 10:17 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Happy Saturday Nor Cal FTE and friends. Hope everyone has a great day.

Jim

Old 09-14-2013, 11:22 AM
04badford
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Nighteyez
Joe, no worries, you can help me flip cars/trucks anytime.

Scott, the ball hitch is already up. 5 and a quarter rise. I took the no rise 3 way ball off because it was way too low. The tie down straps arrived yesterday as did the bridle. Will not be able to tow anything until the CHP gives me a VIN. Also need to find some ramps. I may go with those from North Carolina, but I have not tried trailertrader.com yet. I wish the trailer was a dovetail, but it is too late now, I already bought it. The other trailer I was looking at is not a dove tail either, but it was lower to t he ground than this one. What is a front trailer guard? Or more importantly, how expensive is it?

Jim
Good Morning Jim and FTE Friends, Jim the Guard you can attach a wench to it and pull cars on the trailer also the guard will keep cars from hitting the back of your truck incase you lockem up and the car rolls forward. the straight axle makes the trailer sit higher , If you put a drop axle in that would lower. Is there a place on the back for the Ramps to slide into.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:15 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Bought a set of 94" aluminum ramps for the trailer off eBay. Total price for both was $459.99 with free shipping. That is half the cost of the ones I found in North Carolina. These are coming from Ohio. Yes, there is a lip on the back of the trailer for the ramps to fit on. The ramps that came with it fit in that slot. However, I will take those ramps off, and keep them home once the aluminum ramps arrive. No sense carrying extra weight around that will not be used. Any vehicle I put on that trailer will be secured by the winch, and four tie down straps. One at each wheel, with a ratchet lock. That should be enough to keep the vehicle from slamming into the back of my truck.

Jim

Old 09-14-2013, 10:46 PM
INFAMOUS_RED460
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well...My truck is slowly getting worse, trans is leaking again not even driving it. Working 6 days a week don't give me alot of time, anybody got any suggestions?

Btw I'm happy for ya Jim!

Old 09-14-2013, 11:49 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Suggestions for a leaking trans? Get some bubblegum and push it into the hole. No I don't have anything useful to tell you. Not my area of expertise.

Jim

Old 09-15-2013, 10:19 AM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think a set of Firestone airbags on the rear suspension of the truck would help you with leveling the trailer by pumping up the rear end of the truck. It would also help with firming up the ride when towing.

Quick Reply: Sweet September All Topic thread