1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 F250 random misfire always #6

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 03:55 PM
nightryder75
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 F250 random misfire always #6

I have done research and have tried things and still broken. F250 2006 5.4

Two winters ago the truck would throw a misfire on #6 every few days. Most of the time it happened as I started to head to work. It would misfire and run rough for a few blocks to a few miles and then stop. I ran some injector cleaner through and it seemed to help. A year ago I had a shop replace all plugs because I was getting toward 100,000. It seem to run fine most of last summer and then started acting up again over the winter. Swapped COP between 5 and 6 to see if was a coil problem and problem stayed with #6. It seemed to get worse this summer. I do not drive it on a daily basis except during the winter. I finally broke down and replaced the fuel injector on #6 and drove it 25 miles on the highway to a neighboring town with no problem. Got into town and was heading up a hill and it started to misfire and loose power. Less then a mile later it stopped and ran fine will doing all my errands. As I was leaving town and heading up hill on the highway it was misfiring again but once up to speed and maybe a couple of miles down the highway it ran normal.

I check the codes all the time and the misfile is always #6 and no other. Also have seen an occasional bank 2 lean.

So Plugs replaces after problem started, COP swapped between 5 and 6 and just replaced fuel injector on 6 and still getting misfires on #6.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jeff

Last edited by nightryder75; 08-31-2013 at 03:56 PM. Reason: forgot to specify engine
Old 08-31-2013, 05:24 PM
Coronado
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by nightryder75
I have done research and have tried things and still broken. F250 2006 5.4

Two winters ago the truck would throw a misfire on #6 every few days. Most of the time it happened as I started to head to work. It would misfire and run rough for a few blocks to a few miles and then stop. I ran some injector cleaner through and it seemed to help. A year ago I had a shop replace all plugs because I was getting toward 100,000. It seem to run fine most of last summer and then started acting up again over the winter. Swapped COP between 5 and 6 to see if was a coil problem and problem stayed with #6. It seemed to get worse this summer. I do not drive it on a daily basis except during the winter. I finally broke down and replaced the fuel injector on #6 and drove it 25 miles on the highway to a neighboring town with no problem. Got into town and was heading up a hill and it started to misfire and loose power. Less then a mile later it stopped and ran fine will doing all my errands. As I was leaving town and heading up hill on the highway it was misfiring again but once up to speed and maybe a couple of miles down the highway it ran normal.

I check the codes all the time and the misfile is always #6 and no other. Also have seen an occasional bank 2 lean.

So Plugs replaces after problem started, COP swapped between 5 and 6 and just replaced fuel injector on 6 and still getting misfires on #6.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jeff

Well, firstly, before replacing your injector, you should have checked your fuel pressure because low pressure will cause a misfire. Next, I would replace your fuel filter if you haven't had it done recently. Sorry, but I do not have the spec for fuel pressure on hand, I'm sure if you googled it, it would come right up.

Otherwise, if the fuel system checks out, and the coils are good, you should do a compression check on all 8 cylinder (or 10 if the V10) and make sure you don't have a bad hole.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:19 PM
nightryder75
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, firstly, before replacing your injector, you should have checked your fuel pressure because low pressure will cause a misfire. Next, I would replace your fuel filter if you haven't had it done recently. Sorry, but I do not have the spec for fuel pressure on hand, I'm sure if you googled it, it would come right up.

Otherwise, if the fuel system checks out, and the coils are good, you should do a compression check on all 8 cylinder (or 10 if the V10) and make sure you don't have a bad hole.
The fuel filter has been replace and I did not think that fuel pressure was an issue since for almost 2 years the only cylinder that misfired was #6 and it is one of the closest to the fuel line coming from the pump. I was hoping to not go down that road of a compression issue but that may have to be my next step. Thanks for the tips.