1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Front stock suspension upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 02:45 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Front stock suspension upgrades?

Hi you Guys and Girls

I have had my pickup truck for 7 years now (stock) driving it around and have hade big planes for suspension upgraders to IFS and 4 link rear, bagged and everything.

BUT

The older i´ve got the more I have been leaning towards liking the original style, however the play in the original steering box and no servo are the two biggest no no for me to keep the stock setup.

So to the question:

The Toyota servo steering box upgrader togheter with all new bushings and new leaf springs (posie super slide) and maybe a anti roll bar in the front and back

HOW does it feels and handels???? still the ****y fealing or is it much better than the old loose stuff.

Thanks for all responce I can get.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:18 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Your font suspension, when rebuilt and tuned up will handle and ride pretty good.....for a pickup truck. If you want a car like ride, then go IFS.

The Toyo box will make steering easier, but again, if your stock stuff is in top shape it should steer pretty easy.
Removing some spring leaves (or new springs)will soften up the ride a bunch as well. Sway bar won't hurt either.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:39 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Suspensions are my passion. Doing your plan will be a major improvement! The one important up-grade I don't see listed that I would say is needed is a good set of shock absorbers (dampers) correctly valved for the new springs. The obvious choice, given where you live, would be Koni yellows (sports, single adjustable), but have them custom valved to match your spring rates.
After that, a new pair of rear springs (DON'T by mono-leafs!) and rear shocks will finish the suspension upgrades.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:46 PM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Thanks for the answers guys.

It stears pretty easy as long as I am on roll but trying to park it in front of the supermarket (smaller spaces than in US, fore shure) gives me a real workout.

The wormgear (think its the name) is new but it still has a pretty good play in the steering box.

How is the play in the Toyota (refurbished ones)

Yes for shure the damper is on the list as well.

What do you all think about refurbushing the old leaf springs?
Media blast, powder coat, teflon spring linear, new bushings and pins.
would that be almost as good as the new? if the springs are in a good undamaged state?

Telfon linear:
TEFLON SPRING LINER-No Limit Engineering

Toyota box kit: This one looks pretty good or?

Steering Box, Power, Whole Kit (toyota Design) - Ford F-100 Parts

Godnight fellows

Old 08-31-2013, 04:16 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
DO NOT media blast, paint or powdercoat the springs. sand them by hand or with a belt sander only in lengthwise direction. Cross scratches will start cracks. Plastic slide strips are excellent, but read up on here about how to disassemble the springs without injury, can be dangerous if done wrong. You can remove every other leaf for lowering and softer ride.
There should be almost no free play with rebuilt or used Toyota box. The kit you show is good (I don't like the tube spacers it uses) it's a newly manufactured remake of the Toyota design, not a rebuild. Were there not many Toyota 4x4 pickups imported into Sweden or are used parts not available?

Old 09-01-2013, 02:00 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
AXracer:

I dont under stand? where do you find the tube spacers?

And I have found a toyota box but thats almost $150 (wrecking yard from1983) and then I need to find a rebuild kit, a pitman arm that works? or can u use the toyota one? hooses and fittings and then fabricate the mount. So $500 something for everything ready to mount and I dont haveto hunt for all the stuff is not to bad.

Regarding the springs I am at the moment leaning towards Posie´s super slide both in the front and rear ($1216), it is a lot of money. do you think it´s worth it??

However the old ones are 57 years old and it feal like they have done there chores.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:03 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by jimcar-9
AXracer:

I dont under stand? where do you find the tube spacers?

And I have found a toyota box but thats almost $150 (wrecking yard from1983) and then I need to find a rebuild kit, a pitman arm that works? or can u use the toyota one? hooses and fittings and then fabricate the mount. So $500 something for everything ready to mount and I dont haveto hunt for all the stuff is not to bad.

Regarding the springs I am at the moment leaning towards Posie´s super slide both in the front and rear ($1216), it is a lot of money. do you think it´s worth it??

However the old ones are 57 years old and it feal like they have done there chores.
The spacers are not shown in the picture, but they use 3 tubes to space the mounting plate on their box away from the frame. If I were using that box I'd replace the spacers with a solid aluminum or steel plate the needed thickness shaped to match the one on the box.

The Toyota box is a virtually bulletproof recirculating ball design, no need to rebuild it. Worse case is it may need new seals on the input and/or output shaft only if leaking, they are inexpensive and done from outside, no disassembly required. I have only seen one report of a leaker. If there is any free play, it can be adjusted out, but most don't need it, Toyota built these to last.
Mid Fifty sells a conversion pitman arm, mount (or make your own), and hoses. If you get the return hose fitting with the used box, you can use hoses from parts store, pressure hose port on box is industry standard 16mm inverted flare, same as most boxes and pumps, hoses are available in many lengths. Return is low pressure, uses slip on and clamp plain hose also same as most, available cut to length. I needed more clearance between my headers and return hose, so I went with SS braided hoses with their exclusive low profile SS banjo style fittings from Gotta Show Products Home Page Featuring Hot Rod Plumbing.
I don't know what it costs for shipping to Sweden, and if you need to pay duty and/or taxes on imports, but I agree, 539.00 is not a bad price for what you get, in that kit but I am basically cheap! (and this kit was not available when I did mine) I paid 75.00 for my used box. Here's an article I helped write on the install: Toyota Steering Box Swap For 1948-1960 Trucks .: Articles

Posies springs are nice, but expensive. I would use Mid Fifty's down and forward front springs and their lowering rear springs or remove every other leaf from the stock stack front and rear and put in the slider strips. Unless broken, rebuilt stock springs will continue to work fine (see my comment about me being cheap above). While ordering from Mid Fifty order 2 sets of alignment wedges, you will need one or two pair to align the front axle after changing the springs (including if you rebuild/remove leafs from stock springs). Even the stock springs would benefit from one set of wedges to give better alignment/handling for today's highways and speeds.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:20 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by AXracer
The spacers are not shown in the picture, but they use 3 tubes to space the mounting plate on their box away from the frame. If I were using that box I'd replace the spacers with a solid aluminum or steel plate the needed thickness shaped to match the one on the box.

The Toyota box is a virtually bulletproof recirculating ball design, no need to rebuild it. Worse case is it may need new seals on the input and/or output shaft only if leaking, they are inexpensive and done from outside, no disassembly required. I have only seen one report of a leaker. If there is any free play, it can be adjusted out, but most don't need it, Toyota built these to last.
Mid Fifty sells a conversion pitman arm, mount (or make your own), and hoses. If you get the return hose fitting with the used box, you can use hoses from parts store, pressure hose port on box is industry standard 16mm inverted flare, same as most boxes and pumps, hoses are available in many lengths. Return is low pressure, uses slip on and clamp plain hose also same as most, available cut to length. I needed more clearance between my headers and return hose, so I went with SS braided hoses with their exclusive low profile SS banjo style fittings from Gotta Show Products Home Page Featuring Hot Rod Plumbing.
I don't know what it costs for shipping to Sweden, and if you need to pay duty and/or taxes on imports, but I agree, 539.00 is not a bad price for what you get, in that kit but I am basically cheap! (and this kit was not available when I did mine) I paid 75.00 for my used box. Here's an article I helped write on the install: Toyota Steering Box Swap For 1948-1960 Trucks .: Articles

Posies springs are nice, but expensive. I would use Mid Fifty's down and forward front springs and their lowering rear springs or remove every other leaf from the stock stack front and rear and put in the slider strips. Unless broken, rebuilt stock springs will continue to work fine (see my comment about me being cheap above). While ordering from Mid Fifty order 2 sets of alignment wedges, you will need one or two pair to align the front axle after changing the springs (including if you rebuild/remove leafs from stock springs). Even the stock springs would benefit from one set of wedges to give better alignment/handling for today's highways and speeds.
Are you shure the tubes are mounted between the mounting plate and frame and not between the mounting plate and bolt head ( to work as a distans so that the bolt can get the right pretension) that can be hard on bolt just going thru metal plates (the bolts gets to short and can loose the pretension and gets loose)
On the picture I cant understand how the pitman can be mounted if the axel is moved further inwards.

By the way where do you think this kit power steering box is originated from? Quality? China? It´s quite cheap compared to the rebuilt toyota one with a mounting kit on top.

I have tried to find a toyota one on the swedish salvage yards, with ZERO result.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:26 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
By the way,

as long as the parts can fit into a suitecase there´s no problem with shipping, taxes and that kind of ****, es my employer has 3 factories in the states, to witch collegues or me are traveling in a somewhat frequent manner.

Larger parts I ship in containers thru a friend in San fransisco and then I haveto pay about 30 cent a buck for everything. So I dont pay to much in shipping and taxes, but in TIME. I really haveto plan in advance.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:46 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
see post # 18 and on for discussion of the kit and spacers: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...1953-f1-2.html If you use the down and forward springs to better center the wheels in the fender arches, you also need an extended drag link MF #2707=EXT . Also use heavy duty tie rod #2714 with PS. (you might have trouble fitting that in a suitcase tho.)

Old 09-02-2013, 02:32 PM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Thanks for the link to the thread

That homepage showing the install was great. I´ll put up one of those kits on the wish list.

This weekend I decided to go flat out and tare the whole truck apart starting with a resto, frame and up.

So my blog will be updated as things progress.

But with two small children, fulltime jobb it will take a while.

You cant imagine what stuff that can fit into a suitecase, it´s just a matter of how BIG suitecase you have

Old 09-02-2013, 08:10 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by jimcar-9
Thanks for the link to the thread

That homepage showing the install was great. I´ll put up one of those kits on the wish list.

This weekend I decided to go flat out and tare the whole truck apart starting with a resto, frame and up.

So my blog will be updated as things progress.

But with two small children, fulltime jobb it will take a while.

You cant imagine what stuff that can fit into a suitecase, it´s just a matter of how BIG suitecase you have
Maybe you could fit a tie rod if you have a suitcase for skis!

Old 09-03-2013, 01:24 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by AXracer
Maybe you could fit a tie rod if you have a suitcase for skis!
Ha haha

Now that´s some creative thinking

One question.

If I go for new springs (not decided yet)

What are the benefites and concerns when comparing the

Posies Super slide Multi leaf and
Posies Dual Flex springs

Every little bit of advice are appreciated.

Anyone that has pictures of a stock truck with Super slides or Dual flex. ?

Thanks in advance