Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-31-2013, 03:01 AM
Senior User

Enduroman is starting off with a positive reputation.
new oil cooler AGAIN, 24 degree deltas??

Just had my oil cooler replaced AGAIN. Had it done the first time with head gaskets, studs and EGR delete a thousands or so miles ago, and it turned into a nightmare with an injector hold-down letting go and hydrolocking a cylinder. Mechanic fixed it all up again. When I recently I brought it back with a significant oil leak, he reported that the oil cooler gasket was disintegrated, causing the leak. So he replaced the oil cooler again, on warranty. Great. I promptly hooked it up to the camper and headed over the mountains on a hot day. No choice. Deltas were steady at 24 degrees when I was climbing for 45 minutes or so. Oil got as hot as 248. Water pretty steady at 224. Mechanic says this is ok, though he didn't sound sure. 20 miles later around town, truck starts running rough so I bring it back again. Apparently #3 injector is completely dead.

I'd thoroughly flushed the coolant before the first oil cooler and studs etc and installed a sinister coolant filter between the oil cooler changes.

Are these deltas and high temps ok? Just checked the Tech folder and Bismic reported 230+ as the 'alarm' temp for oil, 215+ for coolant. That was in 2010. Is this still current? I'm way over 15* on the delta, but was operating under a pretty heavy load. Could this injector be related to the hot fluids? Are they too hot? Why would this delta be so big? Any input here is appreciated. Thanks as always.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:19 AM
Post Fiend

BLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant future
EOT is Way Hot

that truck Defuels and Goes into Limp Mode at 253* EOT

Did they Flush the Cooling System Out when they changed all these oil coolers

That Is the MAIN Cause for Repeat OIL Cooler failure

hows the FICM Volts

is the FAN TURNING ON???It should sound like a Jet Engine on a 747 at those temps
2003 6.0, 4X4 srw, short box, born on 3/28/03 Moog ball joints,DC POWER 190A ALT Duralast Goldtop batterys 10/7/2012,RECON LED SMOKE MIRROR LENS,4 inch turbo back magnaflo exhaust,no kitty, 6 in. lift, BFG 315/75r16, python remote start alarm,pioneer system2 12''subs 1600watt amps ,scangaugeII,coolant filter, blue fuel pres spring, Fresh oil cooler 6/1/11 Final Charge Cat EC-1 rated Silicate Free ELC coolant, Sinister Full egr deleate, ROTELLA T-6 5w-40syn,updatedHPO screen,updated oil filter stand pipe, TC SX8000
Old 08-31-2013, 03:24 AM
Post Fiend

BLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant future
It Also Defuels/goes into limp mode at ECT of 221*f

So you broke 1 Threshold and are Really close to breaking another one with EOT*
Old 08-31-2013, 05:03 AM
Post Fiend

Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.
I see an EGR delete. Is the Valve still plugged in ?

Sean
6.0l Forum Map : Ask me About It
Old 08-31-2013, 11:14 AM
Senior User

Poor'it in'her is starting off with a positive reputation.
James Moody
when you're doing an engine flush its very tempting not to pUll the engine plugs at least the one under the starter, I would make sure that both engine plugs are being pulled during the flush. I would think in the case of the bad fuel injector more fuel more heat less fuel less heat I don't know if it would have anything to do with the high deltas. But here's what I can say my truck was also seeing some really deltas ECT,I did thermostat oil cooler and was about to do the radiatorit turned out that it was a combination of two parts serpentine Belt tension pulley & water pump.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:45 AM
Senior User

Lx460 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Somewhere around the 250* EOT mark the oil filter standpipe has a bad characteristic of melting into the oil cooler housing. No fun there. It then blocks the oil passageways. I have seen this first hand. If that happens you're pretty much screwed.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:03 PM
Senior User

Thanks for ideas.
-FICM is solid 48v.
-EGR was deleted (or "capped" according to mech) back when I had the studs and oil cooler done the first time. I believe that the valve is still plugged in.
-I thoroughly flushed the coolant myself before the studs/cooler/egr and installed a fumoto valve on passenger side. Used VC-9. Backflushed oil cooler, rad and heater core too. Replaced Tstat and degas cap at same time. I've since dumped the coolant from the fumoto a couple times just to see what's in there - and to make my sinister coolant filters last a little longer. Good amount of sand the first time combined with some tiny metal chips. Not much. Dumped a second time a few days ago, and just a miniscule amount of metal again.

Maybe water pump going?
Old 08-31-2013, 01:05 PM
Avid Winter Hater

MisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lx460 View Post
Somewhere around the 250* EOT mark the oil filter standpipe has a bad characteristic of melting into the oil cooler housing. No fun there. It then blocks the oil passageways. I have seen this first hand. If that happens you're pretty much screwed.
No, the standpipe doesn't melt until 350 degrees.
Hope & A Prayer Motorsports
Old 08-31-2013, 01:14 PM
New User

miteldan is starting off with a positive reputation.
there is a cure for the oil cooler problem!!!!!!!!
it is Bulletproofdiesel.com.
it replaces the oil cooler.
After I found 1 head warped and it was about 50,000 on my oil cooler I started looking.
I replaced both heads and got the bullet proof oil cooler kit.
with ARP head bolt kit.
Go to this web page and watch the video's that will explain why the oil cooler fails and what their kit will do to fix
My oil temp went down to 190
I have put about 30,000 on my 2006 F350 6.0 with no problems
Old 08-31-2013, 01:23 PM
Senior User

Lx460 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCMK View Post
No, the standpipe doesn't melt until 350 degrees.
Correct, my bad.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:52 PM
Senior User

James Moody
do you know or can you find out if the truck was ever ran on straight water for any length of time?
Old 08-31-2013, 02:15 PM
Senior User

James Moody
There is a new and improved water pump For The 6.0 . does anyone know who makes it?
Old 08-31-2013, 02:27 PM
Senior User

glad standpipe not melted.

no idea if its been on straight water. Not since I've owned it anyway - which hasn't been long.

Bulletproof diesel sounds interesting and expensive. Maybe my problems run deeper here...
With another new cooler, and a thorough coolant flush, (and filter) this thing SHOULD be running better than it is.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:56 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduroman View Post

Maybe water pump going?
Maybe!! its on the List

you have any Old Oil Coolers you could cut open for a Peak

You need to Buy A gauge we need to check sensors Although I think they are OK

and Maybe just change the Water pump to a Metal IMPELLAR design

Haa it ever been checked to see if the Oil Coolers Helped after a Change

I think you need a New mechanic
2003 6.0, 4X4 srw, short box, born on 3/28/03 Moog ball joints,DC POWER 190A ALT Duralast Goldtop batterys 10/7/2012,RECON LED SMOKE MIRROR LENS,4 inch turbo back magnaflo exhaust,no kitty, 6 in. lift, BFG 315/75r16, python remote start alarm,pioneer system2 12''subs 1600watt amps ,scangaugeII,coolant filter, blue fuel pres spring, Fresh oil cooler 6/1/11 Final Charge Cat EC-1 rated Silicate Free ELC coolant, Sinister Full egr deleate, ROTELLA T-6 5w-40syn,updatedHPO screen,updated oil filter stand pipe, TC SX8000
Old 08-31-2013, 04:02 PM
Senior User

James Moody
talking about a man's mechanic is like talking about his wife but I was starting to think the same thing it might be time for a change!
Old 08-31-2013, 04:02 PM