Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-29-2013, 05:15 PM
Postmaster

JEFFFAFA has a good reputation on FTE.JEFFFAFA has a good reputation on FTE.
Spark Knock in my Harley F150

Hey Guys. I normally hang out in the 67-72 truck section but I'm having trouble with my 2003 Harley F150. It has Diablo programer,s/c power pulleys,12# boost,throttle body,C&L air duct,and Cold air intake. These have all been in it for years. Nothing changed except maybe the gas here in Phoenix Arizona. It does seem to be better with Chevron.
Driving home from work it is normal at first. After maybe about 10 miles it starts spark knocking under load up a grade. The farther I drive it, it spark knocks easier. By the time I get home 30 miles from work it will spark knock even on a level city road if I lug it in overdrive and accelerate like passing a car. The funny thing is that if I stop and get gas it reverts back to normal on the drive home. No codes in PCM. I had a tech here at the Ford dealer I work for read my PCM. It says everything normal and the knock sensors are working. Any Ideas?
Old 09-26-2013, 09:09 PM
Senior User

stoffer is starting off with a positive reputation.
sounds like you maxed out the MAF and burnt at least one plug...

so start with the plugs gapped for the additional boost, and if the issue persists, then swap out the COPS

and time for a MAf upgrade and a TUNE
Old 02-20-2014, 05:20 PM
Posting Guru

SwOkcOffRoader has a good reputation on FTE.SwOkcOffRoader has a good reputation on FTE.
Just swap out the COPs?? Don't even test them?? That's one expensive swap to do without confirming they are faulty. Besides, bad coils won't give spark knock. Spark knock (Detonation) happens when the compressed air/fuel mixture in the cylinder ignites from heat BEFORE the spark plug fires. Therefore it couldn't be a COP. It can destroy a normal motor quickly let alone a S/C motor. You most likely are having a lean condition, or too low octane fuel. Check for gaskets leaks all around the S/C and intake. Pretty much anything after the MAF sensor including vacuum hoses. I've read about the S/C'ed 5.4s having a vacuum line leak at an elbow behind everything out of sight.

Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it again??
....Will work for Rep points....
Old 02-20-2014, 05:20 PM
Posting Guru

SwOkcOffRoader has a good reputation on FTE.SwOkcOffRoader has a good reputation on FTE.
Oops old thread. My bad.

Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it again??
....Will work for Rep points....
Old 02-28-2014, 06:17 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwOkcOffRoader View Post
Oops old thread. My bad.
Actualy I'm glad you did. I never did figure out what the problem is/was. I had the plugs changed which helped but was still there. Now that it is cooler temperture around here it is a lot better. A couple times recently at a stop light it started to stumble like the gas tank was empty. Putting it in neutral and reving it a littlle cleared it. I figured I need a new programmer. A vacuum leak as you suggested is possible I suppose. What is your O now?
Old 06-26-2014, 07:01 PM
Postmaster

Well gentleman now the air temp is back up so is my detonation. The problem may be I had the engine's thermostat changed a bit before this problem started. I had the aftermarket 160 taken out while the cooling system was flushed and a factory one installed. I figured either way the engine would reach the same running temp. What is your opinions? What brand stat and from whom do you guys buy yours?
Old 06-29-2014, 10:59 PM
Senior User

STOFFERJ is starting off with a positive reputation.
is your intercooler pump working??
Old 07-01-2014, 11:44 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by STOFFERJ View Post
is your intercooler pump working??
I had thought about that at one time and then forgot. Thanks for chiming in and reminding me. Will check it out.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:44 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150