Sponsored by:

Best aggressive stockish size tire?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 10:28 PM
hotrodtodd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best aggressive stockish size tire?

I am looking for a tire that is going to be good for heavy towing, good manners in the rain and decent off road (nothing too serious) I have stock 16" rims and 4:30 gears with the V-10.

I am thinking about a stock sized tire because when empty the truck is fine but fully loaded it still doesn't have enough ***** on the mountains towing, so I don't want to hurt the truck with a taller or real heavy tire.

Was looking at the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac's, and the mixed feelings about the Authority's being to light of a sidewall for the Excusion's / F-series.

Toyo MT's are on the high end and I do like them, also found the Firestone Destination MT's.

Anyone have a solid recommendation based on my application would be much appreciated!

Old 08-28-2013, 11:00 PM
Stebs
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only thing my boss has run on his that I know of was firestones.. he swears by them. I'd have to look and see for the exact model.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:08 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I have a thousand miles on Duratracs and have been happy with them so far.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:23 PM
Stebs
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just found a picture in my files... Firestone transforce AT

He pulls stupidly heavy with his, and he's in the cattle business, so he's out in the pastures all the time, especially in the winter.

Edit: PS.. 402k on the odometer, original owner.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:22 AM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I have run BF's KM2 this last year in 285's on stock rims.

Very happy with off road and wet perf. I don't tow, but have a full size roof basket that is full when we travel and no real sidewall flex. Just did last week about 3500 miles and the rain didn't slow us down at all. Averaged about 75-80 miles/hr all night in rain in the mountains.

Off road is just as good. I went 2 wheel drive up to alpine country up a jeep trail, in fact swapped with a jeep on the way up, and 5 jeeps on our way down.

Will be going with another set when these wear out.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:25 AM
MURDOMINO
Mountain Pass
Since your towing, and also mentioned wet driving characteristics, and no power, i wouldn't recommend a mud terrain. You dont like A/T's something like the BFgoodrich All-Terrain T/A or as mentioned the Firestone Transforce A/T or perhaps the Bridestone Dueler Revo A/T2. all of which have been around in some form or another for the likes of ten plus years. i prefer the BFG for my trucks. As for size, i have 285/75R16's on my truck, and it seems to fit nicely despite having a small 4" lift on it. though you asked about tires, and many a people will follow suit with their own opinions, which in the end tires pretty much are. just stay away from the cheap import brands.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:02 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Everybody has their favorite brand but concentrate on the tread and the rating. Just go with E rated and probably all terrains which are a little good for everything but not good for anything in particular. Why would a heavy tire hurt your truck?

Old 08-29-2013, 01:16 AM
ford_model'a'
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I have been running Bridgestone's 285/75 R16 Dueler Revo A/T's on my 7.3 Limited Ex since the Original Firestones wore out, They've got a somewhat agressive tread but run very smooth and quiet. They have the best wet traction of any tire I have ever driven with very good mud and snow performance. I accumulated just over 65,000 miles on my last set, not too bad for an over 8,000 pound truck. I recently replaced that set with four new ones which are now an 'E' Rated Tire. Needless to say I am quite pleased with this tire and highly recommend them.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:18 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
i like my current summer tires. Cooper Zeon LTZ. pretty good grip on everything.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:18 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by ford_model'a'
I have been running Bridgestone's 285/75 R16 Dueler Revo A/T's on my 7.3 Limited Ex since the Original Firestones wore out, They've got a somewhat agressive tread but run very smooth and quiet. They have the best wet traction of any tire I have ever driven with very good mud and snow performance. I accumulated just over 65,000 miles on my last set, not too bad for an over 8,000 pound truck. I recently replaced that set with four new ones which are now an 'E' Rated Tire. Needless to say I am quite pleased with this tire and highly recommend them.
The original Revos were awesome. When they went to the Revo 2 I have been less than impressed with the tire on my own truck and on the work trucks. I went to the Transforce ATs on the work trucks and have been happy. They are cheaper and will last longer than the Revo 2. On my personal truck I went with the Duratrac. We will see how they do.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:25 AM
Limoguy
Senior User
consider Nitto terra or dura grapplers. My duras are on order from Discount Tire. they matched Tirebuyer.com's price and 96 cents less ($173.+++ ea). 265/75/16 LRE

Old 08-29-2013, 07:02 PM
59CRL
Senior User
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
The original Revos were awesome. When they went to the Revo 2 I have been less than impressed with the tire on my own truck and on the work trucks. I went to the Transforce ATs on the work trucks and have been happy. They are cheaper and will last longer than the Revo 2. On my personal truck I went with the Duratrac. We will see how they do.
I had Revos on my first Excursion, now on my 2nd im running Firestone Destination AT's..... they are very good. E rated with a nice tread pattern. I used them on a couple other SUV's and they are great in mud and snow. (The AT's)

Old 08-29-2013, 09:20 PM
hotrodtodd
Senior User
Originally Posted by EXv10
Everybody has their favorite brand but concentrate on the tread and the rating. Just go with E rated and probably all terrains which are a little good for everything but not good for anything in particular. Why would a heavy tire hurt your truck?
I wasn't referring to breakage per say, just from a braking, acceleration and front end wear POV.

Thanks for all the good feedback, I haven't made a choice yet but thinking about the DuraTrac's.

Would the 275 / 285 be much of a difference VS the 265 on the stock rim?

Old 08-29-2013, 10:32 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by hotrodtodd
I wasn't referring to breakage per say, just from a braking, acceleration and front end wear POV.

Thanks for all the good feedback, I haven't made a choice yet but thinking about the DuraTrac's.

Would the 275 / 285 be much of a difference VS the 265 on the stock rim?
You mean the 285? Lot's of people are running them. Not too big for the wheel and just a little taller.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:11 PM
kornfanjoe
Posting Guru
Duratracs are awesome tires, for my needs. I've got about 30,000 hard kilometers on mine and they are down to 12/32s which is about 1/3 of its life used. I do a lot of off-roading, fast and occasionally aggressive driving though.
I have been very pleased with snow, rain and mud performance. They handled Alberta winters and British Columbia spring very well. I see these as a more winter/mud tire than a towing/manners tire, although I would not hesitate to tow heavy with them.They have a slight hum audible when no music is on but easily drowned out.
I am thinking it was a horrible mistake to buy my tires in Canada, these are over $300 a tire up here

Quick Reply: Best aggressive stockish size tire?