1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Clutch hardware stackup?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 03:44 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch hardware stackup?

i'm in the home stretch of working up to my ZF swap (I've been talking about it for almost a year now, so darn well better be) and will be ordering the last few parts needed and wanted to check that I had everything covered.

I have a used Single Mass Flywheel (with ring-gear) and Clutch setup already - the clutch is in good shape, but I don't have throwout bearing for it and want to put a new pilot bushing in. there's no other hardware that goes on the tranny input shaft, right?

am I correct that the parts stack-up and order of assembly goes:

1. pilot bearing pressed into flywheel
2. flywheel bolted to crankshaft (after removing flexplate and spacer)
3. clutch and pressure plate bolted to flywheel (clutch aligned with special tool, or extra input shaft in my case)
4. throw-out bearing installed on tranny input shaft
5. clutch fork installed through side of tranny
6. tranny installed onto engine

in the end the throwout bearing rides right against the spring fingers of the pressure plate spring, right?

also, I've seen some Kevlar throwout bearings advertised instead of metal bearing versions. is it worth finding/using one of these?

Old 08-28-2013, 08:54 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 397 Likes on 268 Posts
Kevlar t o bearing?? Cant seee any advantage..nor how or where that would be benefical.
Otherwise you are on the right track.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:38 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
I think it's the pilot bearing you can get in kevlar not the TO bearing.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:01 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
maybe that's right. I thought it was a while ago that I saw that South Bend (or Valair, maybe) was touting a Kevlar replacement for one of those two. Pilot bearing does make more sense, but I think i'll just go with the stock needlebearing setup. if everything's aligned right, there really shouldn't be much load on that bearing anyway...

thanks guys.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:06 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OldWoodsDiesel
maybe that's right. I thought it was a while ago that I saw that South Bend (or Valair, maybe) was touting a Kevlar replacement for one of those two. Pilot bearing does make more sense, but I think i'll just go with the stock needlebearing setup. if everything's aligned right, there really shouldn't be much load on that bearing anyway...

thanks guys.
Southbend does the Kevlar pilot bushings... I don't see the point in it. I've yet to have too much problem with a good stock replacement pilot bearing.

When assembling the clutch, use red locktite on the flywheel and pressure plate bolts. Make sure to use a torque wrench on the flywheel and pressure plate. Check the torque on all the bolts a couple times before moving on to the next step. Just make sure everything is torque correctly and has locktite and it should all work great for you.

If your going to run a Valair clutch, check the flywheel for a brand name. If it's a Valeo, Valair can build you a clutch to fit it IIRC, but their standard clutches are for Luk style flywheels. If it's a Luk flywheel, great, just get one of their clutches, whichever one you wanted. If it's a Valeo, call them and tell them your using a Valeo flywheel.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:50 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Thanks for the info and the picture heads up. I've been meaning to get some to have around anyway.

And it's a Luk flywheel and clutch ill be using, so I should be good to go. And pilot BEARING it is!

Thanks guys.