Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 6.2L V8
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-27-2013, 09:06 PM
New User

davidm253 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Catalytic Converter

Has anybody on here hollowed out their catalytic converter? A guy comes in to my work that has done his 6.2 and it sounds awesome, real clean and throaty. He said he is getting about 2 more mpg's and had noticed more hp. Just curious if anybody else has done this and if they notice the same thing this guy is seeing.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:16 PM
Freshman User

Zooki1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm253 View Post
Has anybody on here hollowed out their catalytic converter? A guy comes in to my work that has done his 6.2 and it sounds awesome, real clean and throaty. He said he is getting about 2 more mpg's and had noticed more hp. Just curious if anybody else has done this and if they notice the same thing this guy is seeing.

Im curious to hear about this
Old 08-27-2013, 10:34 PM
Posting Guru

dualwheels66 has a good reputation on FTE.dualwheels66 has a good reputation on FTE.dualwheels66 has a good reputation on FTE.
Was he talking about the resonator? There are two cats on these trucks which then flow into the resonator then into the muffler. To gut either on would be a pain in the butt. I call BS.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:41 PM
Junior User

GSSF17 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm253 View Post
. He said he is getting about 2 more mpg's and had noticed more hp.
Huh? I say no way.

I removed the factory muffler and kept both factory resonators. Sounds good.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:46 PM
New User

davidm253 is starting off with a positive reputation.
He said the cat. That's why I'm here to see if it's bs or not. His truck sounds awesome and it is the factory exhaust on there, I got under there and looked at it. That is what peaked my interest and lead me to ask him what he had done to it.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:54 PM
Senior User

03 SVT VERT has a good reputation on FTE.03 SVT VERT has a good reputation on FTE.03 SVT VERT has a good reputation on FTE.
Not sure if you have an emissions test where you are, but if you do the truck wont pass with a hollowed out cat. The oxygen sensors wont read correctly, causing the truck to throw a code/check engine light.

It's possible the truck wont run correctly either, as the sensor reading will cause the computer to compensate for what it thinks is a plugged cat. IIRC, it will run richer than it should.

The only way around it is with MIL eliminators/o2 sensor simulators. You would have to try and find some that work with the 6.2. I couldn't tell you where to start with that. I've only messed with them on imports and they tend to be a crapshoot as to whether or not they work.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:54 PM