Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-26-2013, 11:46 PM
Junior User

roshan is starting off with a positive reputation.
5 inch rear springs drop

My title caught your attention didn't it ... These are on my 52 M3... Well.. I left the first 3 springs, then removed alternate ones for the next 3 and removed everything else. Pics show before and after. ... It dropped from 6.5" to 1.75".

Let me know if you have any comments/concerns. This is my first major build so I can def. use tips.

My work area:
Click the image to open in full size.

After U-bolts came off:

After extra leaves came off:

Original leaves:

After removing extra ones:
Old 08-27-2013, 12:34 AM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Are you keeping the stock axle?
Old 08-27-2013, 12:51 AM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
Are you keeping the stock axle?
No. The rear end that u see sitting behind the truck is a dana 60 .. the one on the right is the old timken ... I'll be bolting in the dana 60 tomorrow..
Old 08-27-2013, 02:55 PM
Elder User

aussiecowboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.aussiecowboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
This is a job generally best done with the bed and everything installed on the truck, otherwise you don't know where the final ride height will be when all the weight goes back on. Don't throw the leaves away, you might need to adjust a bit more yet.

That right hand jack stand in the first pic looks a bit of a scary angle!
Old 08-27-2013, 03:01 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiecowboy View Post
This is a job generally best done with the bed and everything installed on the truck, otherwise you don't know where the final ride height will be when all the weight goes back on. Don't throw the leaves away, you might need to adjust a bit more yet.

That right hand jack stand in the first pic looks a bit of a scary angle!
I have actually saved all my springs. This is just a first mock up. Need to take them off, sand them, put rust deterrent and a graphite paint on them. About the bed, you're right. I wont know the exact ride height until all the stuff is loaded on top of it.

Yeah I noticed the jack stand yesterday.. it moved a bunch when I dropped the rear end. That's not too hard to fix . I'm gonna try and finish up the rear springs today, mount the dana 60.. and try doing my brake lines today evening.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:02 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
I'd be worried about the effect of the heavy D60 (or the stocker, for that matter) on the springs when you hit a bump. Ride height isn't the only factor to consider.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:04 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
I'd be worried about the effect of the heavy D60 (or the stocker, for that matter) on the springs when you hit a bump. Ride height isn't the only factor to consider.
Would you recommend adding in a couple more of the smaller springs? I guess theres only one way to find out what would happen when I hit a bump with the dana 60
Old 08-27-2013, 03:04 PM