1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

First time F-1 owner (hopefully)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 09:25 PM
Khannink
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time F-1 owner (hopefully)

Hey Guys! I just joined this site. I have been looking for an f-1 ford for quite some time and I think I have found the one I want. It is a 1950, mounted on a 1996 Explorer frame. I have a few questions about it before I commit to buying it. First off, is the Explorer frame conversion a popular conversion? What are some of the downsides to this conversion? Second, about the 12 volt conversion, is that easy to do? The truck has no engine and transmission and I would be putting a 302 and AOD in it. Third, does the master cylinder have to mounted on the frame rail, or can it be mounted on the firewall like newer trucks? And lastly, how easy is it put a tilt sterring wheel in it and how would a new tilt column hook up to the Explorer steering box? Any information is greatly appreciated. I'm looking forward to a fun project!

Old 08-26-2013, 10:22 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your project. I think you're going to need it. My best words of wisdom here would to be think really long and hard before jumping into this, and then think again if you're still considering it. 99% of frame swaps don't go so well, and most who try them end up trying to unload their abortion onto some unsuspecting, inexperienced sucker. No offense. There's typically a lot of hackery and backyard engineering that goes on with these kinds of deal, which leaves a really big mess, and more often than not you find you have nothing more than a large pile of scrap. Unless you really know what you're doing or looking at, it's best to find yourself a better, less cobbled and more safe starting place.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:31 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
It sounds like the previous owner/seller got the easy part done, and realized that the rest was going to soak up massive amounts of time and money. Run, don't walk!

Old 08-27-2013, 12:01 AM
Khannink
Junior User
The more I think about it, the less I like this particular truck. There are several other trucks that I have been keeping on eye on to buy. A couple of them have the Volare from clip on them, is that a good/reliable swap? Just curious, why is the Ford Explorer frame swap so difficult?

Old 08-27-2013, 05:46 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

The answer to your question about the Explorer swap is really 52 Merc's: 99% of frame swaps don't go so well. The issue isn't 'will it fit' and is more correctly 'will it work?' Trying to graft a body from an old truck onto to a more current vintage frame is fraught with small stuff: the MC location, the steering box, the pedal mechanisms, the shifter, and so it goes.

None of this stuff has to be a show-stopper by itself - typically (as I have read and seen) the accumulation of the tasks, along with the fab skills of the owner (this would be my limitation), the time demands for completion, and the owner's budget can all coagulate into a pretty strong barrier for all but the most capable, cash available, and time committed.

As a more novice owner, I would suggest you find a truck that runs and drives. Ideally, this will give you a chance to just put some miles on it - while beginning to develop a sense of where you want to go with it - and a better sense of the work it will take. You really don't want to become an owner of a vehicle that is years away from the road - this is more than most are ready to tackle. Would have been the case for me.

Good luck with your search.

DW

Old 08-27-2013, 07:15 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Khann
Welcome! Hmmm... We've got a 1950 F1. It's a lot of fun & work to get them all working. Generally it's much easier to stick with the original frame so everything fits correctly.

We put a 2001 Explorer 8.8 in. rear axle in the back of our's. It's a very common swap or a Ford 9 inch. Probably a 2 weekend job. It gave us 3.73 modern highway gearing, rear disc brakes, & posi trac. (Stick with the original Ford F1 frame & just change what hangs off of it if you want).

We are running a 351Windsor engine with an AOD transmission - pretty much any engine will fit in these trucks. Personally having gone through this process I'd look for a rust free cab as my #1 priority, a stock frame or one with a mustang II style front suspension.

A rust free cab will save you hundreds of man hours of welding, grinding, sanding, etc.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:40 AM
Boomer61
Senior User
Howdy and welcome! I'm fairly new here myself, having recently picked up a '52 F1 project and '51 shell together in a deal. Actually hauled them home this past weekend.

My personal thoughts are along the same lines as what others have said: You're not buying a 1951 F1, you're stepping into someone else's mix-n-match mess. Not that it couldn't be finished and turn out okay, more like where do you start? How? Why? At what cost?

At least when the vehicle is basically original you can refer to old manuals and other members here with similar vehicles. Then if you want to hack it up, at least you know where it started, what was done, and why. You can also get a rough idea of the cost to rehab/rebuild since you won't have to guess at what needs to be done to fit with the current mess.

My vote would be to find a better (as in unmolested or mildly abused) candidate to spend your money on. Or buy one already done if you want something chopped up.

Then again, I like old stuff because it's old. If I wanted a shiny body on someone else's frame, those Gazelle kit cars are a dime a dozen. But that's just me. Rumor has it I was dropped on my head as a baby. Repeatedly.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:05 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Also, I'd stay away from any "front end" conversions, like the Volare, unless it's a Mustang II or Jag IFS. Even then, I'd be cautious because you don't know if it was installed properly.

Find yourself as stock and original truck as possible and then go from there.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:56 PM
epp
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Have a Volare setup in my '50. Handles well, runs straight down the road with no problems. Previous owner put it in and did a good job on it. I have seen some that looked like they wore a blind fold when welding them in and won't align to save its butt. If it had been stock when I bought it, I would have went with a mustang II style suspension.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:34 PM
Khannink
Junior User
I see from all the replies that it is usually better to start a project that hasn't been hacked into by someone else. I have an oppotunity to buy a 1952 that is still on the stock frame, but the guy also has a 1997 Explorer chassis that comes with the truck. This sounds like a way better deal. From the replies and other research, I see lots of people use the 8.8 rear end and either a jag or mustang II front end. This would be a better start, that way I can do the work myself, and know that it is done right.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:52 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Khannink
I see from all the replies that it is usually better to start a project that hasn't been hacked into by someone else. I have an oppotunity to buy a 1952 that is still on the stock frame, but the guy also has a 1997 Explorer chassis that comes with the truck. This sounds like a way better deal. From the replies and other research, I see lots of people use the 8.8 rear end and either a jag or mustang II front end. This would be a better start, that way I can do the work myself, and know that it is done right.
You have gotten the general consensus of the guys here that a frame swap is not out of the question, but is not an easy thing to complete. From your statement here about the 1997 Explorer frame, I get the impression you're still considering it.

Unless you have experience in that area, I think you should really seriously consider leaving the truck on its original frame, and make changes as you like to that frame... IFS, different rear end, power steering, disk brakes... whatever. Just please understand the advice given here is to make this easier for you to accomplish.

And good luck with whatever you decide to do. We'll all be watching.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:29 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Joe, I think he's saying he will use the Exploder for a parts donor -- motor, rear axle, etc.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:58 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
A thread of sound advice. Take it and you are already miles ahead.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:43 PM
Khannink
Junior User
Thanks to all who replied, I appreciate the advice. I will keep you all up to date on any purchase I make. It will hopefully be soon, but not this weekend(vacation to Lake Tahoe). Thanks again.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:19 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Where in CA are you?

Quick Reply: First time F-1 owner (hopefully)