04 Fummins Swap concerns and where to buy parts

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 10:17 AM
drey04
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aaaaaaaah ok yeah that's what I thought too.... so the AD isn't a replacement, but an addition to the fuel system.

... and from the little I've read about the Air Dog system, it sounds like it helps remove air/vapor from the fuel which they say then improves mileage, power, and throttle response... sounds good to me lol

Old 08-28-2013, 10:58 AM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Yeah exactly basically it replaces the stock fuel pump which often times doesnt supply enough fuel pressure to the VP44 injection pump which uses the diesel fuel as a lubricant and coolant. By using an AD it keeps the VP44 from potentially having any mechanical failures, obviously anything mechanical wears down and breaks eventually but it definitely extends the life of the VP44. As far as the electronics go sometimes they break because electronics are electronics but others are from heat related issues like after the truck is off the engine block heats up the unit. I'm thinking if i use efans instead of the mechanical fan then i can do some sort of dont shut off until the engine is below like 100* or something to make sure the VP doesn't burn up inside. Also there are a bunch of different VP pump options that have better boards inside, which i may opt to just buy because i wont know the status of the one on the engine when i get it. I read a lot of good things about this place Products (BLue Chip Diesel lol sorry name didnt come up in link) and thier pumps because they use upgraded boards in their pumps and they seem to have a lot on the common failure points.

Also just got an email back from the DMV and they said basically my title wont change just the registration which i now have to call a different guy about it from the DEP and then talk to my insurance about registering it.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:16 AM
drey04
Posting Guru
Good deal! So what kinda horsepower and torque numbers ya shooting for?

Old 08-28-2013, 12:28 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Honestly I'm not sure really, obviously i want 400+ but i think i might shoot for 300-350ish. I want it to have good street manners and I friggen wanna have fun you know? I have only owned my truck and before that i had a buick LeSabre for a year neither are speed or torque demons so idk what it feels like to drive 350hp or even 400+. I'm starting to like the 24v its almost like the 6.0 needs some work but once its done it seems solid. I emailed fordcummins about how possible it is to put an Edge CTS style tuner on a swapped 24v. I really like how i can turn down the power and get good MPG or crank it up and smoke the wheels also my main concern is the winter months because my little F150 has 4x4 but its super light and probably needs new tires so this will be my like bad snowy weather truck and i don't want 2 trucks that cant control themselves with a little ice and snow lol. I'm pretty positive that the DEP guy is gonna tell me the has to be the same year or newer lecture so I'm just planning for this direction. I haven't heavily researched this though only conversion parts not trying to understand how the engines work etc.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:07 PM
drey04
Posting Guru
yeah I think 400 hp would be pretty solid...

Old 08-28-2013, 01:33 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Sounds good to me!, I just saw the Destroked actually sells a kit and it comes with an AD! (http://www.destroked.com/pdfs/Conver...o-12-08-17.pdf) Some parts I would not need but it all seems to be there. Included in the price, they rewire the engine harnesses and A/C lines for you and send them back..not bad also their parts are top quality from what i have been reading. With the parts i do not need removed the price drops from $6400 to $5050.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:10 PM
drey04
Posting Guru
Nice! Them being to able to do the wiring and AC for you is awesome. Also, I've heard that the diesel accelerator pedals are hooked up differently than gas truck skinny pedals. I've heard most guys, when doing a fummins swap, yank the whole pedal assembly from a junk yard diesel Ford. Or is there a kit or something out there for that? Just something I thought of...

Old 08-28-2013, 02:29 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
I read that if you want to maintain cruise control you need to use the gasser pedals, i have not head of that though. But as far as being hooked up differently I'm not sure i haven't come across anything that says that yet.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:04 PM
drey04
Posting Guru
ok cool yeah wasn't 100% sure on that... just stuff I've heard here and there

Old 08-28-2013, 03:25 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Yeah i got scared for a sec lol, I may swing by my local junk yard tomorrow and just see what kind of dodges they have laying around, i just realized i never checked out what they have for dodges but i know there isn't much for the newer fords, i may see if they have a diesel with like a radiator and intercool or even a tranny cooler that i can ******. I have read that you do and dont need to change over to the ford diesel radiator but i guess if i can find one cheap enough then why not do it anyway.

I'm reading up on how to hit 400hp/800tq on a 24v and it seems like just a tuner, injectors, intake, exhaust and a few other things can get you there pretty easily.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:19 PM
drey04
Posting Guru
turbo, injectors and tuner will bump you up quite a bit, then yeah exhaust, intake, etc. all help

if you do need to swap pedals i don't think it's that big a job

and yep i have heard too that you don't HAVE to use a diesel radiator but it doesn't hurt to put one in.... sounds like the 5.4 one would work if you had to keep it

another thing to look for in the junk yard is a gauge cluster from a diesel ford.... i understand everything hooks up easier and works better that way... tachometer, fuel gauge, etc.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:24 AM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Yeah I'm not too worried about the pedals if they need to be changed out, sounds like ill leave my radiator unless i get a good deal on a diesel one then. Also the guy i work with that has a 24v says he's gonna be selling his truck soon...id feel bad buying it and ripping it apart even though he wouldn't care lol he's a rat rod guy. Plus the truck is rust free because it came from New Mexico and has only been through 1 winter.

As far as turbo's go i how do they work? on the intake sid eit goes filter->Intercooler-> engine correct? I know the turbo is mounted to the exhaust manifild and then the exhaust system get hooked up to the back of the turbo.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:10 AM
drey04
Posting Guru
Yep the turbo is on the passenger side of the truck... what you said is correct: "the turbo is mounted to the exhaust manifold and then the exhaust system get hooked up to the back of the turbo" Pretty sure it's a 4" down pipe from the turbo, depends on what turbo you have I suppose. Also depending on how much clearance you have by the AC/heater box you may have to flip the manifold or run a newer generation one... I know some guys have to do this so the turbo clears.

here's a pick of a 24v in a 98 dodge... gives you an idea on how things look under the hood

Old 08-29-2013, 09:54 AM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Thanks! I just wanted to reassure myself lol. So from looking at that it goes Filter-> turbo->intercooler-> intake. I'm curious if its possible to mount the ford A/C and power steering pump to the cummins with a fabbed up adapter plate or something, would save a few bucks and make life easier. Also the A/C lines would not need to be modified so i could save more money there as well.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:23 AM
drey04
Posting Guru
lol I hear ya man, I'm still learning too I'm sure you can fab up brackets/plates for just about anything. Like you said... whatever saves monies and makes life easier

Quick Reply: 04 Fummins Swap concerns and where to buy parts