1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Refused recall repair:( Read situation please.. WHAT SHOULD I DO??

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 03:26 PM
Harlan Hobbs
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Refused recall repair:( Read situation please.. WHAT SHOULD I DO??

The Dual Tank Selector Valve issue also applies to the F350 of same year. So if you experienced this please comment, Thanks!!

If you own an 1989 Econoline (Build may be 88) and have or have not had recall work done on the "Dual tank fuel selector valve" (350,000 VANS) or "PARK rolls freely on gear selector(110,000 VANS)...PLEASE let me know!!

AFTER A QUICK READ TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK I SHOULD DO TO HANDLE THIS??

I called Ford to inquire about if my van I bought had ever been serviced for the only 2 recalls issued for the 1989 Ford Econolines..
Not only had it NOT been.. They said MY vin had NO recalls associated with it.

After speaking with 2 customer service agents and 3 supervisors they say my van is not subject to the following recalls. But first the facts:

1. A couple months ago I buy this van used from orig owner w/ 100k mi on it. Owner states no recall notifications ever arrived.

2. He says after 3 years of ownership the van stopped engaging in PARK and a chalk and e-brake had to be used. Local dealer made 2 attempts and could not find problem.

3. I was driving along and experienced a loss of over 25 gallons of fuel all out the auxiliary fuel tank nozzle past the cap. Problem has not cured itself.

4. I am a paraplegic who does not escape from a burning vehicle or out of control vehicle very quickly or easily.

5. THIS VAN IS A 1989 FORD ECONOLINE E350 <---- Most important to remember since after reading the detailed info on the recalls "THEY DONT APPLY TO MY VIN"

Recall data for: 1989 FORD ECONOLINE
NHTSA Campaign Number: 90V101000
Manufacturer Campaign Number:
Make: FORD
Model: ECONOLINE
Year: 1989
Component:
POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:GEAR POSITION INDICATION (PRNDL)
Manufacturers Involved: FORD MOTOR COMPANY
Begin Date Of Manufacturing:
End Date Of Manufacturing: 19891001
Recall Type: V
Potential Number Of Units Affected: 111000
Date Owner Notified By Manufacturer: 19900717
Recall Initiator: ODI
Manufacturer Responsible For Recall: Ford Motor Company
Date Report Received By ODI: 19900601
Date Added To File: 19900614
Regulation Part Number:
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Number:
Defect Summary:
UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, THE SNAP RING THAT LOCATES THE PARK GEAR ON THE OUTPUT SHAFT OF THE TRANSMISSION MAY FRACTURE.
Consequence Summary:
WHEN THE GEAR IS PLACED IN PARK, THE PARK GEAR WOULD NOTENGAGE, ALLOWING THE TRUCK TO ROLL FREELY IF THE PARKING BRAKE IS NOT PROPERLYSET. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN ACCIDENT.
Corrective Action:
INSTALL IMPROVED SNAP RING AND REVISED TRANSMISSION EXTENSION HOUSING.
************************************************** *********************************************

NHTSA Campaign Number: 91V146000
Component:
FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:AUXILLARY TANK:SELECTOR DEVICES
Begin Date Of Manufacturing: 19890201
End Date Of Manufacturing: 19910201
Potential Number Of Units Affected: 350000
Date Owner Notified By Manufacturer: 19911220
Date Report Received By ODI: 19910904
Date Added To File: 19910930
Regulation Part Number:
Defect Summary:
THE DUAL FUEL TANK SELECTOR VALVE MAY MALFUNCTION AND CAUSE AN OVERFILL CONDITION IN ONE OF THE FUEL TANKS, RESULTING IN AN OVERFLOW OF FUEL PAST THE FILLER CAP.
Consequence Summary:
THE OVERFLOW OF FUEL PAST THE FILLER CAP CAUSES A FUEL LEAKAGE, WHICH CAN RESULT IN A FIRE WHEN EXPOSED TO A SOURCE OF IGNITION.
Corrective Action:
REPLACE THE DUAL FUEL TANK SELECTOR VALVE.

With your help at FTE then I hope to proove to ford that if the good/faulty part numbers associated to these same recalls....match mine... It should have been included in the VIN selection & faulty parts replaced along with all the others selected......

or is this the case....

Old 08-24-2013, 09:59 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Moved to proper forum.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:04 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,391 Likes on 1,100 Posts
Just a few random thoughts Harlan............

I'd re-visit the conversations with the CSR's and supervisors who claim your van's VIN is not part of that recall. Get them to commit to their stance, explain to you exactly why in writing via email or on a letter head document---keep that in your records.

Contact the local state or federal ADA authority and get their input on this matter---your special needs and ownership of a recalled vehicle might be within their scope of action. If not they might be able to direct you to the proper person or agency.

There are probably thousands upon thousands of internet sites concerning your very matter, that where product liability is an issue---do a bit of Google searching and see what you find. That's no substitute for sound legal advice but you'll see how others have addressed similar situations.

Since you're only the second owner of record on this van I'd think you have a strong case for the recall being honored. It doesn't appear anything has been modified or changed in the affected systems which is another point in your favor.

I'm not sure if we can bolster your case but maybe a few good ideas or plans of action can be offered. Being persistent is the key to resolving this---its not unusual for a manufacturer to resist recalls. Don't become too adversarial just yet---give the process a bit of time to work first.

Anyway just a few random thoughts for you----good luck with this!

Old 12-29-2021, 04:20 PM
dmclean
New User
Originally Posted by Harlan Hobbs
The Dual Tank Selector Valve issue also applies to the F350 of same year. So if you experienced this please comment, Thanks!!

If you own an 1989 Econoline (Build may be 88) and have or have not had recall work done on the "Dual tank fuel selector valve" (350,000 VANS) or "PARK rolls freely on gear selector(110,000 VANS)...PLEASE let me know!!

AFTER A QUICK READ TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK I SHOULD DO TO HANDLE THIS??

I called Ford to inquire about if my van I bought had ever been serviced for the only 2 recalls issued for the 1989 Ford Econolines..
Not only had it NOT been.. They said MY vin had NO recalls associated with it.

After speaking with 2 customer service agents and 3 supervisors they say my van is not subject to the following recalls. But first the facts:

1. A couple months ago I buy this van used from orig owner w/ 100k mi on it. Owner states no recall notifications ever arrived.

2. He says after 3 years of ownership the van stopped engaging in PARK and a chalk and e-brake had to be used. Local dealer made 2 attempts and could not find problem.

3. I was driving along and experienced a loss of over 25 gallons of fuel all out the auxiliary fuel tank nozzle past the cap. Problem has not cured itself.

4. I am a paraplegic who does not escape from a burning vehicle or out of control vehicle very quickly or easily.

5. THIS VAN IS A 1989 FORD ECONOLINE E350 <---- Most important to remember since after reading the detailed info on the recalls "THEY DONT APPLY TO MY VIN"

NHTSA Campaign Number: 90V101000
Component:
POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:GEAR POSITION INDICATION (PRNDL)
Begin Date Of Manufacturing:
End Date Of Manufacturing: 19891001
Potential Number Of Units Affected: 111000
Date Owner Notified By Manufacturer: 19900717
Date Report Received By ODI: 19900601
Date Added To File: 19900614
Regulation Part Number:
Defect Summary:
UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, THE SNAP RING THAT LOCATES THE PARK GEAR ON THE OUTPUT SHAFT OF THE TRANSMISSION MAY FRACTURE.
Consequence Summary:
WHEN THE GEAR IS PLACED IN PARK, THE PARK GEAR WOULD NOTENGAGE, ALLOWING THE TRUCK TO ROLL FREELY IF THE PARKING BRAKE IS NOT PROPERLYSET. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN ACCIDENT.
Corrective Action:
INSTALL IMPROVED SNAP RING AND REVISED TRANSMISSION EXTENSION HOUSING.
************************************************** *********************************************

NHTSA Campaign Number: 91V146000
Component:
FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:AUXILLARY TANK:SELECTOR DEVICES
Begin Date Of Manufacturing: 19890201
End Date Of Manufacturing: 19910201
Potential Number Of Units Affected: 350000
Date Owner Notified By Manufacturer: 19911220
Date Report Received By ODI: 19910904
Date Added To File: 19910930
Regulation Part Number:
Defect Summary:
THE DUAL FUEL TANK SELECTOR VALVE MAY MALFUNCTION AND CAUSE AN OVERFILL CONDITION IN ONE OF THE FUEL TANKS, RESULTING IN AN OVERFLOW OF FUEL PAST THE FILLER CAP.
Consequence Summary:
THE OVERFLOW OF FUEL PAST THE FILLER CAP CAUSES A FUEL LEAKAGE, WHICH CAN RESULT IN A FIRE WHEN EXPOSED TO A SOURCE OF IGNITION.
Corrective Action:
REPLACE THE DUAL FUEL TANK SELECTOR VALVE.

With your help at FTE then I hope to proove to ford that if the good/faulty part numbers associated to these same recalls....match mine... It should have been included in the VIN selection & faulty parts replaced along with all the others selected......

or is this the case....
Fight Club Sound Clip - New Car Recall - YouTube,

Harlan, it's been many years since you posted about your van. We're you able ever to resolve it? I'm specifically interested in the fuel problem as it's the same with my 1989 F250 Econoline. We are getting a new fuel selector valve installed and my mechanic wants to also install the fuel line one-way valves. It looks like I found them on e-bay but I have to see if the mechanic thinks they'll work. I'd like to keep both tanks but may end up just going with the rear tank. I don't know what Ford came up with after their intermediate fix of inline check valves. I noticed a fuel selector valve for Ford's that us electrically operated by it would require some fuel line modifications, mounting and wire harness installation to the dash to replace the current tank switch. Electrical seems to be the smart way to go but my mechanic thinks it would be expensive and complicated. I'd appreciate any response from you or anyone else. New pumps have been installed in the tanks and inline but vehicle only wants to run on rear tank and started spewing fuel out of the front tank.

Old 01-10-2022, 04:23 PM
dmclean
New User
Dual Fuel Tank Issue

• We're having fuel issues with our van. Our mechanic installed a new fuel selector and the valves in the supply lines as that's where they fit. Y information tells me that they are required on the return lines. It's has been very frustrating for us and the mechanic who has now washed his hands of it. It runs off the rear tank but it will spit and sputter at times. It will not run on the front tank. New pumps in both tanks and in-line. Any information that anyone has would be greatly appreciated