Sponsored by: DP Tuner

OT - RV Fire Safety

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 11:11 PM
MTalley
More Turbo

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
OT - RV Fire Safety

I know many of us have diesel trucks to haul or pull our RVs and other toys.

This evening, a motorhome that pulled in next to us had their 120-12V converter pop and catch fire when they hooked up their AC cord. When I came over to verify that it was indeed burning, I had to instruct the owners how to use the fire extinguisher.

Fortunately it was a newer unit and the extinguisher was fully charged (though I wouldn't have hesitated a minute to have run back to my fiver and grabbed mine if needed). We got the fire out and my wife entertained the grandchildren in our fiver while the unit aired out.

They went on their way to stay with friends for the night. I'm so glad to have been able to help in such a situation.

Take a minute the next time you have a chance and make sure you know where the fire extinguisher is (typically right inside the door(s)) and how it works. Most importantly, make sure it has a charge. If you are not sure, buy a new one.

It also just occurred to me that I never heard a smoke detector go off in their motorhome. Check that battery, as well.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:33 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts
Well done! And a good reminder; it's been years since I even looked at the extinguisher in my fiver.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:41 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
I am utterly amazed at how FEW people will even attempt to put out a small fire!

All of them start out that way, and are very easy at that point.

I think it's a fire department mantra that drones, "Just get out and call the fire department and let them handle it".

Funny how large a small fire can grow to in the "short" time it takes them to respond!

See it, put it out, press on!

Pop

Old 08-24-2013, 05:00 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by MTalley
When I came over to verify that it was indeed burning, I had to instruct the owners how to use the fire extinguisher.
I should write a book on fire extinguisher use. It will be a three-word book... I'll call it "Pull and Squeeze".

All kidding aside, it amazes me how far down the path of convenience our society has come. People not knowing how to start or put out any fire that a **** can't control. Calling 911 for everything... including internet outages.

I'm glad the "neighbors" had kind, helpful, and prepared people like you nearby, that nobody was hurt, and that it sounds like the damage was minor.

I was first at the scene of an accident (no injuries) this summer (actually two in the same day... but that's another less-cheerful story). A SUV on Eastbound I90 (70 MPH limit) lost the whole front wheel assembly, it shot over the median, and hit a West-bound semi head-on. I saw smoke and fire a short distance behind the SUV and the drivers involved in the accident were OK, so I investigated the other issue. I thought there could be another vehicle that was involved in the accident (it turned out to be just a brush fire). I grabbed the fire extinguisher out of Stinky as vehicles were stopping and people were getting out to investigate. A young couple spotted me and asked my wife "He carries an extinguisher in the truck?" Uh... is this odd nowadays? If so, call me strange all you want... I've been to too many rodeos to run unprepared.

For you folk that have the chemical fire extinguishers - you need to rotate the extinguisher from time to time. There is a powder in there and vibrating it down while sitting at the same angle for many years can actually pack the powder down. This can impeded the effectiveness of the extinguisher. I store the boat extinguisher on its side, but I put it back on the vertical mount when I use the boat. Also, look at the gauge on yours from time to time.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:18 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You beat me to it Rich, yep shake your extinguishers to loosen up the powder.
I also carry a halon extinguisher in my truck. No mess to clean up if I ever need it.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:21 AM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Great tip! Something most of us never think about till ya really need it!

Smokie

Old 08-24-2013, 09:21 AM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Carbon Monoxide detector in an rv is a must too in my book. Those heaters bang around so much traveling that it does not take much to have silent killer on board

Old 08-24-2013, 09:24 AM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Smoke detector goes off when the wife makes toast in the RV ! Guess it tells her it's done!!!

Smokie

Old 08-24-2013, 11:06 AM
F-250 Super Duty
Laughing Gas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tugly
[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]
For you folk that have the chemical fire extinguishers - you need to rotate the extinguisher from time to time. There is a powder in there and vibrating it down while sitting at the same angle for many years can actually pack the powder down. This can impeded the effectiveness of the extinguisher. I store the boat extinguisher on its side, but I put it back on the vertical mount when I use the boat. Also, look at the gauge on yours from time to time.
That's how we recommend mounting all ABC extinguishers. Like you said, constantly vibration and bouncing will cause the power to cake up. When you mount them sideways, standing them up to use them automatically breaks up some of the powder.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:19 AM
srteach
Elder User
Not to argue, but it is important to remember that a fire extinguisher is for getting out. Most small extinguishers DO NOT have enough chemical to fight a large fire. It is a benefit if you are able to put the fire out, but that is not the reason for extinguishers.

Use the fire extinguisher to live first, then save property second.

I agree:
  1. Have an extinguisher, regardless of situation and at all times.
  2. Learn what is required to maintain and use it
  3. Pull and squeeze, sweep side to side
  4. Safety check on every safety device before every trip. Hitches, batteries, lights, brakes and everything else you can think of. It's YOUR life you may be saving.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:36 PM
MTalley
More Turbo

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by srteach
Not to argue, but it is important to remember that a fire extinguisher is for getting out. Most small extinguishers DO NOT have enough chemical to fight a large fire. It is a benefit if you are able to put the fire out, but that is not the reason for extinguishers.
Good point and well taken. Had the fire been of any magnitude where I would have doubted the ability of the extinguisher to quickly put it out, the phone would have been out and fire trucks on the way.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:35 AM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Nice job helping out.. I am sure it was scary panic there for a litle while..

Old 08-26-2013, 02:00 PM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Most small extinguishers DO NOT have enough chemical to fight a large fire.

I slightly beg to differ - I poured a bunch of 2 cycle gas on the dirt of my driveway and created an 8' dia. circle of fire. I took small dry chemical extinguisher that was reading below 'full' and cut loose. The fire went out nearly instantly. I realize that my fire may not represent all cases, but this somewhat-low-reading cheapie extinguisher had a ton of capacity for this fire.

If you start a fire, do so carefully, but using a fire extinguisher (which many folks have not done) teaches you a few things. I was able to relight my fire and let my wife put it out again, too. I live in a rural area, so no one freaked out when I lit this fire.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:45 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
The other thing to think about is if you have a small DOT compliant extinguisher like i have it my truck, doesn't take a lot of power to do the job. I always give it a shot and then see if you need more. That way you don't waste it all and realize that you need more. Just my thoughts.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:07 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,890 Likes on 1,141 Posts
Good posts y'all. I like the safety reminders! Yes, please don't get hurt trying to save something not as important as YOUR LIFE!!!!

The cheap, disposable extinguishers with no 'gauge' have a button on them somewhere. You 'test' them by depressing the button - it should pop right back out. I always keep these POS's in the campers, but there is a 'real' extinguisher nearby...

Yes, I have at least one fire extinguisher in my truck. I have used my extinguisher several times 'on the road' over the years - the recipients always seem so grateful when you save their car. One time, we pulled over to investigate a fence post someone apparently set on fire. I grabbed a 2liter bottle of coke and the extinguisher and ran up to the fire. My buddy was shocked I used the $2 coke to put the fire out - instead of my $$$ extinguisher!!

In the petro-chemical industry, fire extinguisher 'training' with hands-on practice is common place. We have a couple of those cheapy extinguishers around here that are questionable (they were replaced in boats/campers over the years). I think the boys and I will set a controlled fire and practice using an extinguisher this weekend. Without fail, fire = DRAMA. I think the more confidence you have using the equipment, the safer you are likely to be.

Quick Reply: OT - RV Fire Safety