Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

other side of the fence

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 02:35 PM
dman01
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
other side of the fence

Well I figured since I read about Fords new truck you would like to maybe read about how the new Dodge is doing.

http://www.dodge-diesel.org/yabbse/i...=15792;start=0

Old 07-06-2003, 09:21 PM
Streetcruzer
Elder User
other side of the fence

Alright ,lets try this again! I remembered I posted a reply in this thread a while back, but either got lost or deleted!
Checked out the forums on the site, clue none as to a dodge diesel, but the guys looked like they were into their trucksl
So as long as I'm snooping around I thought I would look up your gallery and see what you are driving,not a easy task! Where are the picture gallery's? I was looking for dman01,"Not there"!!!
But I found it, Different code name over there I see!! Damn, your a big dog on that site,"5 star gen", low membership #(under 500), you must be one of the founding fathers!
BTW, what are you doing with your truck, "Drag racing", 2 clutches with 140K??

Still Cruzin,
Lenny

Old 07-07-2003, 12:18 AM
dman01
Senior User
other side of the fence

Well at 50k my cousin bought a 95 dodge CTD and it had a card from a guy in IN who did upgrades on our trucks. me just finishing my build up of a 666IH tractor engine said what the heck so I gave him a call. he told me what I needed to do so I did it. hte stock clutch lasted until 80k with 300hp. I bought a Centerforce dual friction clutch and it lasted a month at 350 hp needless to say I have over 400hp and still have the junk centerforce. but this time next year it will be seen at Muncie and other pulls because I'm shelling out the $ for a pulling clutch
As for what I do with my truck. well everything comes to mind. ran a 15flat 1/4 mile with a slipping clutch which for 600 bucks and going from 175hp wo 300hp was fair I thought.
I'm dodgeman01 over there. I just shortened it for here
founding fathers no but I have been on the site for over 2 years. Don't worrie I cause as much if not more problems over there as I do here.
http://community.webshots.com/album/65706874DXXnsB
here are my pics.

Old 07-07-2003, 12:59 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
other side of the fence

Nice truck guy

Old 07-07-2003, 12:23 PM
Streetcruzer
Elder User
other side of the fence

Dman01: Aint no doubt you race that truck, 400hp!!!, now thats picking them up and putting them down! Nice truck though, I like the looks of the tall stacks!! (Its the truck driver in me) But hell, with the prices of trucks down as they are, you should be able to pick up that dream truck pretty reasonable!!

It's only money,
Lenny

Old 07-07-2003, 11:05 PM
dman01
Senior User
other side of the fence

Well money is what I don't have right now. paying for college and for this years crop of tobacco and the $5k paint job really drained me. and from the looks of it this Tobacco season is not going to be good. I was hopeing it would so I could get my new twin turbos and clutch. maybe just a clutch for now so I can get the little HP I have to the ground The tall stacks are my new ones. I put them on just for the heck of it. got all kinds of looks driveing through My town from KY Only problem is being up that high I can hear myself think and that not a good thing
I also got a new hood and plenty of chrome to go with the new coat for the truck going to take it to Florida in two weeks to pick up a 60hp kobota tractor with a loader and a 15' bat wing bush hog for a guy that moved up from there last year. hopefully that will pay for my clutch. go to make a trip out to Texas for a friend to pick up two horse trailers in a month so it looks like I will be getting into the hot-shot seen soon. I need a 1ton

Keep the smoke rollin

Old 07-09-2003, 01:01 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 341 Likes on 207 Posts
other side of the fence

5 gallons of diesel fuel in the crankcase...fuel injectors completely dead....truck dies in the middle of the road at 1,500 miles....turbo is toast at 450 miles.... nope, I checked the Dodge site over pretty good and I'm not seeing these things over there. Sorry. The dealers tell Ford owners "It's a software issue". Well, the computer software didn't decide on it's own to dump diesel in the crankcase, or leak oil from the rear seal. So let's not beat up on someone who likes the Cummins engine. I'd bet that if the Cummins was in a Ford truck, you guys would be on the other side of the fence too.

Yeah, there are problems. EVERY truck has problems. But come on, let's not start the debate over again...everyone knows by now that Ford had a horrible launch with the 6.0L and they are slowly getting the mess cleaned up. Let's give them a chance.

Old 07-09-2003, 06:51 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
other side of the fence

The Dodge are nice but I'd still be worried with any Dodge transmission in a truck, after the experience my father had with his. I'm gonna have to side with King Ranch here, around here, all the 6.0's behave well and don't cause any problems.

Old 07-13-2003, 12:24 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
other side of the fence

About 4 years ago I was talking with a dealer who sold Fords and Dodges and ask his take on the comparison. He said he virtually never got a Cummins in the shop for major repairs but occasionally a ford, like maybe one a week. I asked him which he sold the most of and he said Ford, but if Dodge made a crew cab most of my Ford customers would buy the Dodge.
Now this was in ranch country and these dealers volume is 90% 4x4 work trucks. All thre of my brother-in-laws are ranchers in that area and all 3 have pretty much drove Ford pickups for 20 years or so. Now they all drive Dodges. They don't much care if it has a blue oval or a sheep face in the grill, they just get what works best for them.

Old 07-13-2003, 04:16 PM
Streetcruzer
Elder User
other side of the fence

Willowbilly3: A lot has happened in four years, lets see 1999, The dealer didnt get many cummins in shop, but one ford a week(average) for what?? engine,trans?? Dodge was having a problem with their transmissions at that time and that was the launch of the S/D, I could see a few problems in both manufactures trucks at that time!! Dodge still does not make a true crewcab, but your brother in laws(ranchers) bought dodges over fords Just for curiosity, what quaility stood out in dodge to help them make their decision over a ford ? Price,power,looks??

Always willing to learn,
Lenny

Old 07-13-2003, 09:32 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
other side of the fence

The repairs I failed to mention were only referring to the Diesel engines.
I'm sure pricing had a lot to do with their decision and looks didn't. But in general the Cummins ability to out tow the ford with the big trailers they pull and to get better fuel milage doing it. Now don't go gettin you shorts in a knot over this I am just passing on what some other people have told me. I don't think any of the Dodges they own experienced tranny problems.
I drive a 97 powerstroke and where I live you see 10 Dodges pulling BIG trailers for every Ford. Stick your head in the sand if you want but that tells me something. And for what its worth I own 5 fords and nothing else, but I am not blind or blind loyal to Ford.
And actually there were Super Dutys around long before that, they just brought the name down to the 3/4 tons then. And what was different under the hood on a powerstroke S/D? 25 horsepower?

Old 07-13-2003, 10:50 PM
Streetcruzer
Elder User
other side of the fence

Willowbilly3: Now dont take this as a personal attack, its not!! But I dont have my head in the sand and my shorts are on straight, You say dodge will out tow ford, where are the facts on this statement, you will see 10 dodges to one ford pulling big trailers in your area, you counted right!! No you didnt, this is all opinion!! I live next door to Elkhart IN. which is the R.V. capital of the world, they pull every kind of trailer you can think of out of here with pick up trucks, I dont have a clue what brand the majority of the trucks are! But when I was looking for a 3/4 ton P/U I looked at all of them and talked to many a different owners and basically got their opinion on their trucks, good and bad! The dodge owners biggest complaint was the automatic tranny and the lack of a true crewcab! (this was yr 2000) After talking to S/D owners,their complaints were just about what has been discussed in the S/D forum here, but most of the problems were worked out by the 2001 model, so I ordered a 2002 model! I could have got the dodge way cheaper (Emp. Discount-wife), but the S/D did everything I wanted it to and it has given me "0" problems with 25,000 miles!! Now this is fact!!!
I also would have to question a person that uses a truck to make his living and bases his selection on cost per vehicle, rather than on dependability and cost to operate!! "My opinion"

Just give me the Facts,
Lenny

Old 07-14-2003, 12:39 AM
dman01
Senior User
other side of the fence

well the 10 to 1 ratio is the same for where I live. but then again we all know eachother want to be really different bu a chevy there is only one duramax and one 6.5 turbo diesel in the county I think

Old 07-14-2003, 03:41 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
other side of the fence

Only one of the Dodges was an automatic. I personally think a working truck should be a manual but that is just me. The powerstroke I drive barfed the tranny at 110,00. Cost $1800. Other than a cam sensor at 75,000 it was pretty trouble free until then. It started in nickel and diming us at about 100,000. And now at 160,000 it has just sucked up another $1500 and really needs injector seals and a timing cover gasket which I could put a whole engine in a 460 for what I was quoted . Now overall I really don't mind the truck. It has 3:73 gears which I admit aren't ideal towing gears but you cant' hardly get it to move on a jobsite. It just makes about 0 power until the turbo gets spooled up. And it is so noseheavy that you will get stuck on wet grass.
I would hope you haven't had any problems in only 25,000. I realize the powerstroke has it's fan club. I'm just not in it. If you do own one I would reccomend replacing it at 100,000 to avoid possible costly repairs and upkeep.
And if you set out here on I-20 and watched pickups with big trailers I think my figures would still be pretty close.

Old 07-14-2003, 04:18 PM
Streetcruzer
Elder User
other side of the fence

Originally posted by dman01
well the 10 to 1 ratio is the same for where I live. but then again we all know eachother want to be really different bu a chevy there is only one duramax and one 6.5 turbo diesel in the county I think
Dmo1: Drop those stacks down to cab height so you cant hear yourself think!! It might depend on where you live as to what the ratio of trucks are, I go thru Kokomo In. 2 times a night,
on my way to Louisville Ky and back! Kokomo has a chrysler plant which makes transmissions, It looks like a dodge truck parade going thru town, there is also a Delphi electronics plant(GM) across the street from chrysler, but you dont see that many GM p/u's,there are more SUV'S from that camp! But the closer you get to louisville you will see more ford trucks and suv's, because they have large ford plants in louisville. So I guess location is everything!

Just the facts,
Lenny

Quick Reply: other side of the fence