Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-21-2013, 10:56 PM
New User

Maryrylee is starting off with a positive reputation.
1966 f100 power steering conversion?

Hi
I'm new to this so bear with my stupid questions...
Is there such a thing as a power steering conversion kit that can be used to convert my 1966f100 manual steering to power steering? If so what company sells it? I recently injured my neck and shoulder and don't think I can manage the manual steering anymore.
Thanks
Old 08-21-2013, 11:06 PM
Elder User

SuperSabre is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Welcome to FTE. I wouldn't say there is a kit, per se, but it is a commonly done conversion and there is plenty of expertise on here to advise you on how to do it. What engine and transmission do you have? That will help tell you what you have to do.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:56 AM
Post Fiend

jowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to behold
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn jowilker
Maryrylee Welcome to FTE and the Slicks Forum.

Is your injury going to be long term? Are you dealing with manual shift?

How much help do you have, swapping the steering gear with an injured shoulder would be a task.

John
Old 08-22-2013, 11:21 AM
Senior User

Old Coyote is starting off with a positive reputation.
Google "Fordification". There's a great article there describing swapping a PS set up from a later model into a '66.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:59 PM
Freshman User

B_line66 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Coyote View Post
Google "Fordification". There's a great article there describing swapping a PS set up from a later model into a '66.

Old_Coyote, I tried looking for the article that you were mentioning, but was unable to find it. Do you happen to remember more detail as to where the article was located?
Old 08-22-2013, 08:43 PM
New User

Thank you all for the replys,as to the injury it will probably be a chronic problem now that I,m "over the hill"
I have a mechanic friend who is willing to do the work for me and hopefully I'll be able to assist
He had the same model years ago and is pretty familiar with it,but he didn't think a conversion was possible......I thought I had read otherwise ,so I will gather all the info I can and run it by him. He has the truck now ,replacing a cab mount that went and had started to affect the steering etc .I figured while he has it in the shop if we can switch to PS that would be real nice.
One of the things I would be using the truck for is pulling a horse(donkey actually) trailer , so any assist with the steering while backing and maneuvering trailer would be VERY HELPFUl
Thanks to all
May
Old 08-22-2013, 10:46 PM
Elder User

SuperSabre is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
May - JoWilker, AKA, John is the forum's resident expert on power steering conversions. We will still need to know what engine and transmission the truck has now. Since you're going to pull a trailer, do you want to upgrade to an automatic trans (if it isn't one already)? Power disc brakes? You'll probably want to add a trailer brake controller. If any of those upgrades appeal to you, this is the time to get everything all at once from the same donor truck parts source. Good luck!
Old 08-23-2013, 05:42 AM
Post Fiend

jowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to behold
May, A Bendix gear will direct swap but most here don't like it. Starting in 73 Ford starting using the Saginaw gear that is preferred. The column has to be swapped along with the gear because the connect point is 2 & 1/3in closer to the firewall due to the plumbing on the gear. A ps pump has to be added, so engine type has to be factored in.

When swapping the column, auto or straight drive has to be factored in. Now that you have also mentioned trailer, having power disc brakes would be sweet running the ol boy.

While this is not light weight it is all bolt hole exchange. When I bought my 66 F100 it had the V8 "352" and 3 spd manual. I bought a non running 76 F100/150 with V8 "360" C6 auto, power steering, & power disc brakes. I parked the 76 & 66 side by side, dropped the front axle set from the 66 and pulled it aside, then dropped the axle set from the 76 slid it over and bolted it up under the 66. I had the C6 rebuilt, along with the engine, and am VERY happily riding around with the upgrades, pulling trailers and enjoying not shifting gears.

If you have questions, fire away, we are here to help.

Thanks SS.

John
Old 08-23-2013, 09:49 PM
Senior User

my 66 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Welcome

Welcome to FTE. I am doing this swap now. Like everyone has said it is a bolt in. Just make sure you get mounting hardware for the pump that will fit your engine. Also like they said you must change the steering column because it is shorter. For me the hardes part was the wiring plugs are different but the color codes are close. Good luck.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:16 AM
New User

Hi again
Yes having the brakes upgraded is a good idea. I had that on the wish list ,but it should be on the "need list" if I pull a trailer.
My 66 has a 6 cyl engine ,but which size I don't recall right now....I'll check
It's a 4 speed standard which I don't mind because my right shoulder etc is "good" so
I'll share all the info with my mechanic friend and see if he's willing.

My thought when I bought the truck was to be able to work togeather with a friend who has all the nevessary equiptment in his garage where he's restored a couple of oldies for himself.I'd beblearning as I go ,doing a lot of hands on .But unfortunately that friend has "flown the coop" so now it's at a mechanics shop being done as a "job" where I won't be able to be as involved as I hoped. As a teenager I had an old Willys Jeep that my brothers friends helped me work on and I really enjoyed it ,knowing what made what work and how to fix it if it broke.
I hadn't planned on paying mechanics full labor fee's either so that's takes a bit of the fun out of it.
But I guess ya gotta pay if you wanna play
May
Old 08-24-2013, 04:16 PM
Post Fiend

May, You ladies have always been able to figure something out.

John
Old 08-25-2013, 08:09 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Coyote View Post
Coyote,I found the article you described,it's great. Looks like an easy job,with a little luck.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:53 AM
Senior User

Old Coyote is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryrylee View Post
Coyote,I found the article you described,it's great. Looks like an easy job,with a little luck.
I've never done the swap (though I plan to on my 66 F100 some day) so I can't say how hard or easy it is. But you're right, the article lays the process out really well. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:53 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks