Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.9 waterpump R&R

Old 08-21-2013, 11:12 AM
vector
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.9 waterpump R&R

I need to replace the waterpump on my 2wd F150 with the 4.9 six.

Is there a preferred method of removing the fan clutch assembly. I realize it is a left hand thread.

How can I "lock" the waterpump shaft so that I can try to loosen that large nut on the fan clutch? I also will need to get an open end wrench on that nut. I do not have a wrench that size but one thing at a time.

What is a good method to hold the pump to try to get that nut off? I am guessing this is the original water pump @ 125K and 24 years under its belt.

Is there a way to remove the pump with the fan clutch in place which enable me to carry the assembly to a bench and deal with it there?

Thanks for any help.

Randy

Old 08-21-2013, 11:33 AM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Normally, most auto part stores have the Ford fan clutch tool available to rent. It's popular with the 4.9 crowd, such as myself. Any other rigging, usually involves busted and/or bloody knuckles...just know from experiences. Also, slide a piece of cardboard down in front of the radiator so if you drop or the fan clutch slips out of your hand, you won't have to buy a new one.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:33 PM
vector
Freshman User
4.9 waterpump R&R

Thanks for your response. Autozone did in fact have the tool... or so they thought. There was not a 36mm wrench in the kit.

I went to Advanced Auto and they had a kit with the 36mm wrench... but some fool had used a grinder to enlarge the span to about 39mm!!

On to O'Reilly's. Their kit did have a good 36mm wrench as well as the larger wrench to hold the four bolts to prevent the pulley from turning.

By the way. I was able to remove the pump assembly from the engine. I realize I shouldn't have to but I was half way there before I got the tools. So I am working at the bench now.

I am unable to break the nut loose from the pump shaft. I see by my Chilton's manual that the nut is left hand threads. However, when I look at the new waterpump the threads on it are right handed. The new pump is a duplicate to the old one in every way.

So I am reluctant to apply a lot of force to the wrenches until I am sure of which way is correct. I have tried both with no results at this point. Seems safe to assume that the threads are right handed like the replacement pump indicates.

Randy

Old 08-21-2013, 09:28 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by timbersteel
Normally, most auto part stores have the Ford fan clutch tool available to rent. It's popular with the 4.9 crowd, such as myself. Any other rigging, usually involves busted and/or bloody knuckles...just know from experiences. Also, slide a piece of cardboard down in front of the radiator so if you drop or the fan clutch slips out of your hand, you won't have to buy a new one.
This guy wins. Period.

The AZ tool kit for like $28 is what I have and it works like a charm (See next part of post)
Originally Posted by vector
Thanks for your response. Autozone did in fact have the tool... or so they thought. There was not a 36mm wrench in the kit.

I went to Advanced Auto and they had a kit with the 36mm wrench... but some fool had used a grinder to enlarge the span to about 39mm!!

On to O'Reilly's. Their kit did have a good 36mm wrench as well as the larger wrench to hold the four bolts to prevent the pulley from turning.

By the way. I was able to remove the pump assembly from the engine. I realize I shouldn't have to but I was half way there before I got the tools. So I am working at the bench now.

I am unable to break the nut loose from the pump shaft. I see by my Chilton's manual that the nut is left hand threads. However, when I look at the new waterpump the threads on it are right handed. The new pump is a duplicate to the old one in every way.

So I am reluctant to apply a lot of force to the wrenches until I am sure of which way is correct. I have tried both with no results at this point. Seems safe to assume that the threads are right handed like the replacement pump indicates.

Randy
Righty tighty, left loosey is Right Hand Threads.

Lefty tighty, Righty loosey is Left Hand Threads.

My AZ getup had a SLIGHTLY smaller wrench for the Pilot Nut. I had to nudge the inner sides of the wrench with a bench grinder to get it to fit snugly.

So no issues there.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:49 PM
blkF250HD
Posting Guru
I use one of these bad boys

PNEUMATIC FAN CLUTCH SET PFC440 | Matco Tools

Otherwise, if you're careful a crows-foot and a long extension or large flat blade screwdriver and a hammer can be used to get it loose. I always crack them loose and tighten them with the belt installed, it makes holding the pulley easier. I wouldn't worry too much about applying too much force, I've had to beat the snot out of a few (I think it was on a Dodge) in order to get it loose. They're pretty tough parts.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:42 PM
87-XL-Squared
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just changed the water pump on my 4.9. This thread popped up in a search so I thought I'd contribute.

The fan clutch is normal threads - not left hand. Turn clockwise to tighten and counter-clockwise to loosen. Mine was on very tight, probably never been off in 26 years.

The loaner kit from Advance had a 36mm, but the wrench was very loose. At least an 1/8" of play on the nut and I wasn't willing to risk stripping it. I think it was spread out, since they are just stamped steel wrenches.

The loaner kit from Autozone was better. Still not a snug fit but it was good enough. Used a 2-foot breaker bar on top of the wrench but couldn't hold the other one on the water pump pulley nuts to keep it from turning. Had a buddy come over and hold the water pump pulley and... it broke free.

I put never-seize on the threads when I put it back together. It cannot loosen up on its own, the motor rotation prevents that.