1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

E4OD Harness/Connector

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 06:52 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E4OD Harness/Connector

I have this question posted in my mystery power-loss thread, but its sort of its own stand-alone question here, so i'll post it here again:

how far back does the auto tranny harness go back toward the PCM? ...hopefully not all the way.

you can find all the back story here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post13455674

but in short, my connector and heat shield/wire loom is junk where it connects to the tranny (on the passenger side of the tranny, into a fixed connector on the tranny that points up - the connector that controls the tranny solenoids and such). from this connector the harness goes up and over the tranny over to a big mess of wires with breakouts for the range selector, t-case, etc. I didn't have time to dig through this mess late last night, but i'm really hoping there's a connector there that will allow me to remove this one harness without replacing the whole darn thing!

i'm afraid that may not be the case and it looks like it'll be a real bear to replace just the connector on the end - not much room to work there at all! plus the connector itself is $40!

thanks.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:11 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
ok - the above questions is still relevant, but i just ripped the offending gasket out of the connector with a dental pick and it now seats right. it isn't water-tight obviously, but this tranny'll be coming out soon in favor of the ZF, anyway.

the trans shifts completely differently (better) now and i hit 16 psi on the boost gauge on the way back to work after lunch today - highest I've ever seen on either of my trucks!

if the problem doesn't come back for a few weeks, i'll call it fixed. ...until then my fingers are crossed.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:47 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a connector for the trans harness on the driver side inner fender, down under the brake master cylinder. On the autos there are two plugs side by side, a square one and a round one.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:42 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
yikes - inner fender back to the tranny - no thanks! I think i'll leave it as is and deal with it once I do the tranny swap.

that connector isn't even used any more with the ZF, right? if I recall, I have to clip and remove the range-selector connector with the 2-pin one for the ZF reverse switch, but I imagine this one that i'm having trouble with will just get taped up out of the way?

or could I just pull a whole ZF harness from a junk truck? are the two harnesses compatible up at the inner fender connection? you're the expert Bill!

Old 08-22-2013, 02:29 PM
kellens
Mountain Pass
the easiest way would be to get the entire harness from the ZF donor truck.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:42 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
any idea if its the same gas/diesel and IDI vs. powerstroke?

the salvage yard i'm going to tomorrow has a few ZF dump and rollbacks, but they're all either old IDI diesels or 460's...

Old 08-22-2013, 03:01 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kellens
the easiest way would be to get the entire harness from the ZF donor truck.
X2^^^^^^^

Originally Posted by OldWoodsDiesel
any idea if its the same gas/diesel and IDI vs. powerstroke?

the salvage yard i'm going to tomorrow has a few ZF dump and rollbacks, but they're all either old IDI diesels or 460's...
I think they are all the same as long as it's 4x4. I used one from a F150 4x4 gasser on Todd's truck.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:04 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
awesome - F150's too, huh? even better!

i guess it makes sense Ford would want to keep the wiring common among as many trucks as possible, despite the different engines, tranny's etc.

thanks again, guys!

...and by the way, its been 2 days with no power-loss problems since i got that tranny connector seated right. maybe that really was it! (fingers still crossed)