1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Police Dark Mode" to stop the parking light display

Old 08-22-2013, 12:04 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me also....

Many times we drop off hunters at there spots and go park on a crossroad before daylight... I'll watch wildlife for a while - but occasionally we need to open the door - to kill a hog or just get something out of the cooler... Boom - it lights up like a X-mas tree and any animals take off....

On my 2011 I tried putting a toggle on the drivers door to see if I could make it work... It kind of worked - but had other issues also...

Anybody who gets the answer post up! -

Old 08-22-2013, 12:47 PM
djm1204
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The "unitrol" switch box was a progressive type thing, first notch would disable interior courtesy lights, second all interior lights including dash, as the operator moved the switch tot he right, each additional "click" or stop would include all previous features and add additional ones.

It was not an all or nothing situation. I do not know if they still make them, I did just look on e-bay and saw several of the Unitrol control heads.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:59 PM
CarlT100
Postmaster
I could not find that particular control on Unitrol's website. They make a lot of controls; but I could not find this one.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:21 PM
DaveNTx
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by djm1204
The "unitrol" switch box was a progressive type thing, first notch would disable interior courtesy lights, second all interior lights including dash, as the operator moved the switch tot he right, each additional "click" or stop would include all previous features and add additional ones.

It was not an all or nothing situation. I do not know if they still make them, I did just look on e-bay and saw several of the Unitrol control heads.
That sounds like the type of thing I could use. Is this Unitrol company the same as Federal Signal Unitrol? That's the only web site I can find with the Unitrol name that seems to have anything to do with vehicle electronicss.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:05 PM
rbtom
Mountain Pass
Is there anything in the BCM to enable or disable? I have a 2014 f350 diesel lariat. Thanks! !

Old 03-09-2014, 11:01 PM
SD Dually
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I personally like all the running lights coming on when the door is opened, though I'm glad my headlights don't come on.

I do feel that the light display should be an option to disable for the people who don't like it.

I think the dome/cargo light are on a different channel though. Sometimes when I open my door and leave it open the running lights shut down after a short period of time (just as they do when the door is shut) but the dome & cargo light stay on longer, but when I close the door the running lights and cargo & dome lights all shut off at the same time, again after a short period of time.

I wish the cargo light would be on a separate switch from the dome light, I would like to turn the cargo light on when backing under my slide-in at night.

SD Dually

Old 03-09-2014, 11:22 PM
MauiGrown
New User
Originally Posted by duckstab
I have a F250 that was a Texas DHS truck in a previous life. It must be running in the police dark mode you mention. There is no illumination, anywhere, when I open the doors to enter/exit the vehicle. I have to manually flip the switches on the ceiling of the cab to get any interior light. I've only had the truck for a few weeks, so I am yet undecided if I like that feature. It also came with rubber in place of carpeting, which I definitely like.
i also just bought a 2005 f250 xl that was a state vehicle and i think it has dark mode on too. i have the same problems as above but i don't have door, seat belt, or key chime either. and the radio must be turned on manually. i want the opposite and turn it off. or could this be a whole other problem? dimmer switch still works and lights come on when truck is turned off and door opens but that is the only time

Old 06-19-2014, 09:15 AM
BBT Mech
New User
I have turned several of these police modes on in the last few days for CBP. It is a toggle in the body control module that can be enabled/disabled but you need Ford IDS software to do this. Make nice with a Ford technician and let him know to go to module programming/programming options and he will see police options, dark car is one option that can be enabled.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:18 AM
Djfargo
New User
Dark mode...

Originally Posted by DaveNTx
I've been prowling the internet, looking for some information about how to turn off the parking light + cargo light display when the doors are opened and found something called "Police Dark Mode".

Apparently, it is a programming option within the diagnostic application used by the dealership. Once it is turned on, the dazzling light display that occurs when you open the door will stop, however; it's not clear if this shuts down the interior lights also.

I don't mind the interior lights coming on when the door opens but, the exterior light display doesn't make much sense.

Has anyone here had the "Police Dark Mode" turn on for their Super Duty truck?
I had it turned on @ the dealership in my 2011 F250, just a simple option in the menus... took all of 15 seconds.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:48 AM
markII
New User
I will try and get Ford tech to do the dark mode. Until then, I pulled fuse 12 under the right passenger foot area to stop the dome light and bed light from coming on every time the door opens. I still have the running lights that come on, it drives me absolutely crazy that this isn't on a simple switch.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:27 AM
djm1204
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BBT Mech
I have turned several of these police modes on in the last few days for CBP. It is a toggle in the body control module that can be enabled/disabled but you need Ford IDS software to do this. Make nice with a Ford technician and let him know to go to module programming/programming options and he will see police options, dark car is one option that can be enabled.

Just curious - what would some of the other police options be ? anythuing we might want turned on or off ?

Thanks

Dan

Old 08-24-2014, 06:45 AM
rbtom
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by markII
I will try and get Ford tech to do the dark mode. Until then, I pulled fuse 12 under the right passenger foot area to stop the dome light and bed light from coming on every time the door opens. I still have the running lights that come on, it drives me absolutely crazy that this isn't on a simple switch.
Just wondering if the fuse is pulled do you completely lose the dome and cargo lights? Also what year is your truck?
Thanks, Tom

Old 11-28-2014, 07:23 PM
railroader
Cross-Country
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
My Ford mechanic friend did it for me while we were talking about the latest Oasis stuff, which I knew very little about. Took maybe a minute. I like it.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:08 AM
Wyowilsons
New User
forscan dark mode

can we do this ourselves via forscan?

Thanks