1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

just got a 1996

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 08:43 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Mine never hit or rubbed and I have a little less then a 1/4" between the uppipes and firewall

Old 08-20-2013, 08:55 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
ANother vote AGAINST MBRP. I HATED mine and scrapped it after being in the truck for less than a year. I went with a FloPro and I am more than pleased
Agreed.. I've never used a FloPro, but I'd use them over MBRP all day on an OBS.. My old MBRP pipe hit in 3 different places and got a hole rubbed in it.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:34 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
My MBRP fit good.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:23 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It took me three attempts to get the clearance I needed to make the MBRP work in my white truck. The red truck had th diamond eye in it already, but I can tell just from looking at it that it was easier to do.

Also, too bad you bought the Tymar intake kit. Almost everyone here will direct you towards the 6637 system from Riffraff. (That reminds me that I never posted any pics of my filter set-up.)

When you change the fuel filter be sure to clean the screen in the little hole at the top of the fuel bowl that goes back to the FPR.

Congrats on what sounds like an awesome truck. I can't wait to see some pictures, AND FOR THE LOVE OF YOUR TRUCK, DO NOT PUT AN EDGE EVOLUTION PROGRAMMER IN IT!!! I cannot stress that enough.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:38 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by cowmilker08
It took me three attempts to get the clearance I needed to make the MBRP work in my white truck. The red truck had th diamond eye in it already, but I can tell just from looking at it that it was easier to do.

Also, too bad you bought the Tymar intake kit. Almost everyone here will direct you towards the 6637 system from Riffraff. (That reminds me that I never posted any pics of my filter set-up.)

When you change the fuel filter be sure to clean the screen in the little hole at the top of the fuel bowl that goes back to the FPR.

Congrats on what sounds like an awesome truck. I can't wait to see some pictures, AND FOR THE LOVE OF YOUR TRUCK, DO NOT PUT AN EDGE EVOLUTION PROGRAMMER IN IT!!! I cannot stress that enough.
What he said. I would avoid them altogether personally, and just do he normal Intake/Exhaust/DP mods and go from there....that is if you want longevity.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:21 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Would love to see pics! Don't worry they did the same to me when I started hanging around here. Hang round here long enough and you will learn much. Your wallet may be a little thinner because of it but what the hey right?

6637 filter is an easy mod with the kit. I had a K+N on mine and it wasn't too much longer it was gone bye bye. Also had a EDGE programmer on it which has also gone byebye. But my truck has alot more miles than yours (Just rolled over 359K) so you should be good for a while yet.

Going with what everyone else is saying, make it reliable first (fluids, coolant, filters etc) then make it yours! Don't be afraid to ask questions, the guys here really know their stuff.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:18 PM
mjunk1
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by madMatador78
Would love to see pics! Don't worry they did the same to me when I started hanging around here. Hang round here long enough and you will learn much. Your wallet may be a little thinner because of it but what the hey right?

6637 filter is an easy mod with the kit. I had a K+N on mine and it wasn't too much longer it was gone bye bye. Also had a EDGE programmer on it which has also gone byebye. But my truck has alot more miles than yours (Just rolled over 359K) so you should be good for a while yet.

Going with what everyone else is saying, make it reliable first (fluids, coolant, filters etc) then make it yours! Don't be afraid to ask questions, the guys here really know their stuff.
Did you un-install your Edge? Did it mess with your PCM? Lots written about it and mine has one too so I am trying to estimate my risk.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:53 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Originally Posted by mjunk1
Did you un-install your Edge? Did it mess with your PCM? Lots written about it and mine has one too so I am trying to estimate my risk.
Mine was in for about 40 k before I got the truck. I took it off once and put it back on just to see if it was making a difference. and just recently took it back off again. I haven't noticed any problems. I think you run into problems when you accidentally unplug them before they have finished doing what they are doing. I know still not recommended for our trucks. But I'm glad I was enlightened to what they can do.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:55 AM
FI460
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think part of the reason the edge/ other tuners arent recommended for our trucks is that they flash the pcm. From what I've gathered that's where you run into trouble. The more frequently you flash it with different tunes or back to stock the bigger risk

Old 08-22-2013, 05:41 AM
kupiec20
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 08-22-2013, 05:44 AM
kupiec20
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
mjunk1.....wow! i was just practicing to see how to load pics. very easy

Old 08-22-2013, 07:55 AM
mjunk1
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by kupiec20
mjunk1.....wow! i was just practicing to see how to load pics. very easy
LOL - cool pic too!!!

Old 08-22-2013, 07:58 AM
mjunk1
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by madMatador78
Mine was in for about 40 k before I got the truck. I took it off once and put it back on just to see if it was making a difference. and just recently took it back off again. I haven't noticed any problems. I think you run into problems when you accidentally unplug them before they have finished doing what they are doing. I know still not recommended for our trucks. But I'm glad I was enlightened to what they can do.
I have just left mine where it is since I got it. I haven't even plugged it in to see what setting it is on! I figure it is best to just leave it alone!!! My plan is to pull it off and get a tuner and chip this fall or winter and I am pretty sure the PO didn't mess with it much. The mileage is good, truck runs good, doesn't seem like it is running overly hot or anything (I don't have an EGT gauge though), so I'm just hoping I can pull it off when I am ready and not have any bad effects.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:48 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Originally Posted by mjunk1
I have just left mine where it is since I got it. I haven't even plugged it in to see what setting it is on! I figure it is best to just leave it alone!!! My plan is to pull it off and get a tuner and chip this fall or winter and I am pretty sure the PO didn't mess with it much. The mileage is good, truck runs good, doesn't seem like it is running overly hot or anything (I don't have an EGT gauge though), so I'm just hoping I can pull it off when I am ready and not have any bad effects.
Yeah mine was kept on the lowest setting. My PO told me that he didn't recommend turning it up because it made the truck act erratic. I never turned it up either because I didn't want to find out. I'm also planning on getting a chip here soon. Sounds like a much better way to go from what I have been reading.

I think my EGT's are actually up slightly with out it on there, I never got much above 1100 with the programer on there so I'm sure your fine.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:14 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It felt to me like I had more power after Ford re-flashed to PCM back to stack than it did with the edge on extreme. Only difference was the edge made it blow smoke.

Quick Reply: just got a 1996