S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

SFV SOCAL MEMBERS... Thank you those that offered your help!!!! However NEW PROBLEM....

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 07:45 PM
Harlan Hobbs
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation SFV SOCAL MEMBERS... Thank you those that offered your help!!!! However NEW PROBLEM....

ORIG BELOW WHEEL PROBLEM FIXED...... BUT NEW PROBLEM (SEE END)

Why is it a mechanic might impress you in one area and then royally screw up another?

The situation: REAR WHEEL STRIPPED BOLTS AND NUTS. Bought a set of rims that were just a hair off bolt pattern wise, guy had them advertised wrong on CL, but for the price I was happy enough to get some high quality adapters.

Unknown to me, "El mechanico" took his impact gun and dropped the nut into the socket instead of first threading it, result everything cross threaded... but then I found out now upon looking at studs, bolts etc, that he used the adapters nuts on my factory bolts.... and they were close... but NOT RIGHT. He figured the impact gun would fix that. AS^$#LE

Why I am posting SoCal? This fun 4x4 is set up for handicapped to drive. I broke my back 10 yrs ago on woodley and victory in a car accident when some bonehead ran a red and I was driving a plastic Saturn. I have already had a couple friends make trips to pepboys and autozone for me. They have either returned with the wrong wheel bolt or news the store does not have what I need. Heck, even friend and actor Todd Bridges, who lives a couple blocks away, interrupted his family bbq to run to the pepboys twice. Another of my friends, (with no car) has been hanging around to help... but the guy, self admittedly, cant follow instructions on an erector set and has never used a socket set..lol.

My Location: SFV (San Fernando Valley) North Hills, near Woodley and Nordhoff.... not far from Budweiser plant. It is in my driveway, of a house. I know people have lives of their own and I am only throwing this plea out there in the off chance that someone sees it and goes "Hey I know what he needs and I am a block away!" . Yes, not likely but worth a shot....

Following I am posting pics of the problem in detail and my contact number... so if you dont see pictures below this gimme 5 min. thanks so much.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:59 PM
Harlan Hobbs
Senior User
ADAPTER CONDITION COMPARED TO A GOOD ONE

THE NUTS THAT HELD IT ON.. "LOOK MA NO THREADS"

THE WHEEL BOLTS ...SMOOTH ...VERY SMOOTH

MYSELF IN BACKGROUND FROM A SHOT FROM DAYS BEFORE, I AM THE LAZY ONE SITTING DOWN LOL

YESTERDAY WAS EVAN A MAKE YOUR OWN TOOLS DAY WHEN I FOUND OUT I ONLY HAD HEAD TO A BROKEN SLEDGE AND I WANTED TO TAP OUT THE F'D UP BOLTS

If you might be able to help: 818-58-HOBBS Thanks

Old 08-19-2013, 09:15 PM
Harlan Hobbs
Senior User
So.... you see I have tools to work with :)

But no press to get new bolts back in ... argh

Old 08-19-2013, 09:26 PM
Harlan Hobbs
Senior User
and yes... i have no problem making a sledge hammer out of a broken off sledge head, & retired wheelchair parts

Old 08-19-2013, 09:28 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
I am in Tennessee , but , if I was in your area I would be there . I do a bit of work inspecting and working on hand controls time to time . I work on a fleet of medical transport vans . Some are wheel chair specific . I feel for you brother , hope you get it sorted out soon ! GOD's speed , and GOD Bless . Hope I did not offend . Just how I think .

Old 08-19-2013, 09:39 PM
Harlan Hobbs
Senior User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JWC 3
I am in Tennessee , but , if I was in your area I would be there . I do a bit of work inspecting and working on hand controls time to time . I work on a fleet of medical transport vans . Some are wheel chair specific . I feel for you brother , hope you get it sorted out soon ! GOD's speed , and GOD Bless . Hope I did not offend . Just how I think .
No offence taken... I am just in a situation that requires some cool equipment that not everybody else needs! I had the benefit of being raised by a quadriplegic mother, and I grew up to be her caretaker until my accident. It was a situation that made me appreciate what abilities I still had (both arms, sharp mind, social skills, and creative genius) Oddly enough I dont have many disabled friends because disability is a mindset I cant grasp.

The only way you can offend me is to talk poorly of my dog.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:07 AM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts
also here in the valley, 405/118 fwy area.

just trying to get a clear idea of whats going on. i take it your having a hard time sourcing parts I.E. new lug nuts and studs? and by the looks of it and your repaired hammer you know how to remove them, do you need help re installing them?

now that i have looked at the pictures it looks like you need 8 new lug studs and nuts for the axle and i assume new studs and nuts for the wheel adapter? do the studs in the adapter look like they can be replaced? possibly with a off the shelf part?

did this so called mechanic only do the one corner of the van pictured or did he hack up all 4 corners? if only one corner then it wont cost a ton of money but his all 4 corners have been hacked then your looking at a lot of money alone in hardware.....

last time i priced out 16 lug studs for a 03 ford super duty the studs ALONE! no nuts was going to cost 80 dollars.... not trying to scare you but just want you to be informed that it adds up fast for some bolts and washers.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:40 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
I just ran across this.

What is current status of project?

I have some tools and am willing to assist if I can.

Pop

Old 08-24-2013, 07:31 AM
Harlan Hobbs
Senior User
NEW PROBLEM

If you own an 1989 Econoline (Build may be 88) and have or have not had recall work done on the "Dual tank fuel selector valve" (350,000 VANS) or "PARK rolls freely on gear selector(110,000 VANS)...PLEASE let me know!!

The info I need is:

NO RECALL WORK HAS NOT BEEN DONE, HOWEVER MY VIN IS LISTED AS THOSE RECALLED...Can you please give me the part number of the recalled item one you currently have installed.

YES RECALL WORK WAS DONE...Can you please give me the part number they replaced the faulty one with.

[B][I]
If you are unsure about your Econolines recall status call Ford at 800-392-3673

Sorry for not explaining why it would be a help. I called Ford to inquire about if my van I bought had ever been serviced for the only 2 recalls issued for the 1989 Ford Econolines....not only had it NOT been,,, They said MY vin had NO recalls associated with it.

After speaking with 2 customer service agents and 3 supervisors they say my van is not subject to the following recalls. But first the facts:

1. A couple months ago I buy this van used from orig owner w/ 100k mi on it. Owner states no recall notifications ever arrived.

2. He says after 3 years of ownership the van stopped engaging in PARK and a chalk and e-brake had to be used. Local dealer made 2 attempts and could not find problem.

3. I was driving along and experienced a loss of over 25 gallons of fuel all out the auxiliary fuel tank nozzle past the cap. Problem has not cured itself.

4. I am a paraplegic who does not escape from a burning vehicle or out of control vehicle very quickly or easily.

5. THIS VAN IS A 1989 FORD ECONOLINE E350 <---- Most important to remember since after reading the detailed info on the recalls "THEY DONT APPLY TO MY VIN"

Recall data for: 1989 FORD ECONOLINE
NHTSA Campaign Number: 90V101000
Manufacturer Campaign Number:
Make: FORD
Model: ECONOLINE
Year: 1989
Component:
POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:GEAR POSITION INDICATION (PRNDL)
Manufacturers Involved: FORD MOTOR COMPANY
Begin Date Of Manufacturing:
End Date Of Manufacturing: 19891001
Recall Type: V
Potential Number Of Units Affected: 111000
Date Owner Notified By Manufacturer: 19900717
Recall Initiator: ODI
Manufacturer Responsible For Recall: Ford Motor Company
Date Report Received By ODI: 19900601
Date Added To File: 19900614
Regulation Part Number:
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Number:
Defect Summary:
UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, THE SNAP RING THAT LOCATES THE PARK GEAR ON THE OUTPUT SHAFT OF THE TRANSMISSION MAY FRACTURE.
Consequence Summary:
WHEN THE GEAR IS PLACED IN PARK, THE PARK GEAR WOULD NOTENGAGE, ALLOWING THE TRUCK TO ROLL FREELY IF THE PARKING BRAKE IS NOT PROPERLYSET. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN ACCIDENT.
Corrective Action:
INSTALL IMPROVED SNAP RING AND REVISED TRANSMISSION EXTENSION HOUSING.
************************************************** *********************************************

Recall data for: 1989 FORD ECONOLINE
NHTSA Campaign Number: 91V146000
Manufacturer Campaign Number:
Make: FORD
Model: ECONOLINE
Year: 1989
Component:
FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:AUXILLARY TANK:SELECTOR DEVICES
Manufacturers Involved: FORD MOTOR COMPANY
Begin Date Of Manufacturing: 19890201
End Date Of Manufacturing: 19910201
Recall Type: V
Potential Number Of Units Affected: 350000
Date Owner Notified By Manufacturer: 19911220
Recall Initiator: ODI
Manufacturer Responsible For Recall: Ford Motor Company
Date Report Received By ODI: 19910904
Date Added To File: 19910930
Regulation Part Number:
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Number:
Defect Summary:
THE DUAL FUEL TANK SELECTOR VALVE MAY MALFUNCTION AND CAUSE AN OVERFILL CONDITION IN ONE OF THE FUEL TANKS, RESULTING IN AN OVERFLOW OF FUEL PAST THE FILLER CAP.
Consequence Summary:
THE OVERFLOW OF FUEL PAST THE FILLER CAP CAUSES A FUELLEAKAGE, WHICH CAN RESULT IN A FIRE WHEN EXPOSED TO A SOURCE OF IGNITION.
Corrective Action:
REPLACE THE DUAL FUEL TANK SELECTOR VALVE.

With your help at FTE then I hope to proove to ford that if the good/faulty part numbers associated to these same recalls....match mine... It should have been included in the VIN selection & faulty parts replaced along with all the others selected......

or is this the case....