Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review of Peragon Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 07:37 PM
mcguirehg
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review of Peragon Install

I purchased my Peragon cover for my 2002 F250 7.3L. I liked the look and concept of the cover. I researched reviews of those who purchased the cover in the past, recent and older reviews. The older reviews were not favorable, but more recent reviews were. I also purchased the cover based on ease of installation too. I worked with Roger at Peragon who was professional and very helpful.

During the install I did make some mistakes, but the easy install quickly became very frustrating. I started the install by attaching the rails and cross bar together. I attached the weather stripping to the rails. This part of the install was easy. I placed the rails on the truck by myself. I suggest two people if you purchase this product. I drilled my four holes in the side rail of the truck. I installed my holding brackets to support the rail and the stainless steel hardware. I was suppose to coat the stainless steel hardware with tac (I believe that was what the directions said). During the installation I had to remove some screws and several broke very easily. I was told this was due to a lack of tac place on the screws. I went to ACE and purchased hardened screws that work much better. I could tighten and losen them as needed. Anyway, I also purchased additional washers for the spacers, but later found out I didn't need them. I was told the brackets should of just been bent upward. I thought the bending was a bit excessive, but followed those directions. After getting the rails on and the cover it would not glide correctly. My track spacing was a little off. I had to remove the screws and another broken bolt. As such I had to remove bracket to remove the bolt to the track and replaced with my ACE screws. I remounted everything and rechecked measurements. The cover still would not align correctly and was still very stiff. I asked my wife to try opening and closing the cover, but she wasn't able to open and close. I was able to open and close it, but it was difficult. I had my wife double check that my rails were not tilted down or up (straight). I also had her measure the distance between the rails and it measures correctly.

In summary, I became very frustrated with the installation of my Peragon cover. I did send a RMA request to Roger. I do believe they will take the product back with no difficulties. However, I will need to spend a third day to remove the cover and spend money on shipping the cover back. Again, very frustrating. The most frustrating part will be having the cover out of my truck and the holes that will remain in the rails of my truck.

My search for a new cover will start tonight...wish me luck

Old 08-20-2013, 09:03 PM
mcguirehg
Freshman User
Today I received the return authorization from Peragon. I received exact directions how to repack the boxes and insert the various packing to protect the cover. The directions are clear that the original packing material is retained if you wish to return the cover. I saved all the packing material. If you purchase this cover be sure to save the boxes and everything. Paragon does a nice job packing the cover went it was sent to my house. Anyway, the cover came off within an hour. During remover another bolt broke on me. The cover was packed very carefully in the two boxes for return. I received the RMA from Roger to place on the boxes. I priced around for the return of the product and finally decided to use the FEDEX service of Pergona as it was the cheapest at $99.00. The $99 shipping return charge will be deducted from my refund when it is issued. This amounts to 15% of my total purchase. I think the shipping return cost is a bit steep, but I was aware of the deal when I purchased the item. The shipping is just expensive to return something you don't want to keep. I could see purchasers wanting to keep the cover to avoid the shipping cost.

In conclusion I spent 2.5 days installing and uninstalling this item. I incurred $99 in shipping cost and spent another $10.00 on hardware for a cover I decided to return. I'm learning its better to buy local sometimes to avoid the large shipping charges because they do become costly. To be fair though, I must say the customer service is top notch. Thanks for the effort Roger!

Old 08-21-2013, 09:42 PM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,361 Likes on 1,707 Posts
Have you decided on a new cover? I have a Retrax. It doesn't require any drilling.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:54 AM
mcguirehg
Freshman User
Originally Posted by FORD COASTIE
Have you decided on a new cover? I have a Retrax. It doesn't require any drilling.
We have decided to go with the Bakflip Microfiber. I'm hoping this will be a good cover.