Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

6.7 F250 to possible F150

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 06:04 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I think of all of us on here who have bought ecoboost trucks over the past two years, Tom has busted any and all myths about whether or not the chassis can handle a heavy load and whether or not the little six can pull it.

Obviously the question of long term reliability from hard use has yet to be answered as the ecoboost and F-150 marriage is still in it's infancy. I'm confident that it will last as I've gambled like the rest of us here who took the plunge.

An ecoboost truck equipped with 3.31's is rated to pull around 9K. A truck with 3.55's gets you another 500 pounds. The 3.73's can get you into the max tow option.

This is a needs vs. wants question.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:14 AM
wagner78
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sold my 2012 EcoBoost for my F350. Never had an issue with the F150 either than I'd put more weight in the bed then it was rated for You'll hear lots of non-sense issues about EB intercooler problems but no one I personally knew with an EB had that problem and neither did two of my friends who are service techs for two different Ford Dealers.

Really liked the EBs power, especially with a custom tune..though the "great mileage" wasn't such. My 6.7 gets better MPG than the EB did All in all, loved the truck!

Old 08-23-2013, 10:15 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Congratulations on the purchase! Let us know how you like it once you get a trailer behind it.

With only towing 5,000 lbs I would get 3.31s and not look back. My truck can't get the fuel economy some others are getting, and I blame my 3.73 gears and elephant-ear tow mirrors for that. Of course I tow up to 12,000 lbs so I needed the capacity. None of the available gear ratios will feel underpowered with a 5,000 lb boat. By the way which 3/4 ton truck has only 270 ft-lbs of torque?
That's my 95 Chevy K2500 with a bone stock 5.7. The specs are all over the map....if you do the math, the horsepower and torque numbers aren't correct. The factory numbers for that truck say 190 horsepower at 4000 RPM with 300 ft-lb or torque. It would have to be 250 ft-lb to equate to 190 bhp, something isn't right in the old marketing data. On other websites guys say they've dyno tested stock 5.7 engines at around 270. It was OK for it's day, but 400+ ft-lb. sounds pretty good!

Either way, we like to take the boat to Lake McClure near Merced. From my home, that means I have to tow it over Pacheco Pass on Hwy 152. It's a slow climb. My F1 would do a better job....but then I have an F150 powertrain in the old truck!!

Old 08-23-2013, 08:39 PM
screwy
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The Eco boost is a fine engine, strong, fuel efficient …ish and quiet, if that’s your thing. For a turbo engine the lag is pleasantly short and the power delivery is the smoothest I've ever seen in a pickup. Civilized is a good word. I can’t comment much on the 5.0, at least the new ones, but the eco is certainly leaps and bounds ahead of the 5.4. I’m in love with the electric power steering and the HIDs on my 2013, plus, as others mentioned, it rides nice and is easier to park.

I like many didn't need the diesel anymore and traded my 6.7 in on an eco. The eco gets nearly identical mileage in town and a mpg or two better on the highway if I’m being nice to it. Towing mileage is worse in every scenario, but that’s to be expected. Towing power is great as well, when you’re in the turbos, but again hard to match. DEF never really bothered me, but fuel quality was often a concern and of course maintenance costs are much lower. Also, if you live in a cold climate you get near instant heat! All things you’d expect.

With that said, I regret my decision. I was happy for the first few months, but then I began to realize that while I did like the truck, I didn't love it. The 350 was a beast and I enjoyed driving and owning it a lot more, despite some of the fuel worries. I was always wanting to do something to the 350, add this, modify that. I could care less if the 150 gets a car wash most days. Plus my girlfriend is pissed at me for selling it, who’d a thought.

The eco F150 is a great truck and should be considered a feather in Fords cap, it just hasn't turned out to be the truck for me. So Ford, put some HIDs in the super duty and I'll be knocking on my dealers door for another one.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:09 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by screwy
The Eco boost is a fine engine, strong, fuel efficient …ish and quiet, if that’s your thing. For a turbo engine the lag is pleasantly short and the power delivery is the smoothest I've ever seen in a pickup. Civilized is a good word. I can’t comment much on the 5.0, at least the new ones, but the eco is certainly leaps and bounds ahead of the 5.4. I’m in love with the electric power steering and the HIDs on my 2013, plus, as others mentioned, it rides nice and is easier to park.

I like many didn't need the diesel anymore and traded my 6.7 in on an eco. The eco gets nearly identical mileage in town and a mpg or two better on the highway if I’m being nice to it. Towing mileage is worse in every scenario, but that’s to be expected. Towing power is great as well, when you’re in the turbos, but again hard to match. DEF never really bothered me, but fuel quality was often a concern and of course maintenance costs are much lower. Also, if you live in a cold climate you get near instant heat! All things you’d expect.

With that said, I regret my decision. I was happy for the first few months, but then I began to realize that while I did like the truck, I didn't love it. The 350 was a beast and I enjoyed driving and owning it a lot more, despite some of the fuel worries. I was always wanting to do something to the 350, add this, modify that. I could care less if the 150 gets a car wash most days. Plus my girlfriend is pissed at me for selling it, who’d a thought.

The eco F150 is a great truck and should be considered a feather in Fords cap, it just hasn't turned out to be the truck for me. So Ford, put some HIDs in the super duty and I'll be knocking on my dealers door for another one.
Sorry it hasn't turned out as you had hoped. It is almost unfair to try to compare the two motors as the 6.7 is an outright beast and leaves you feeling like you can climb anything or tow anything. Had I not been worried about the HPFP I most likely would have had one...however I also had to think about it being my commuter vehicle when not towing etc. Maybe in the future but for now I am really loving my F150.

BTW you can put HID headlights in any vehicle..and you could have put them in your F350 as well....just saying.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:57 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
Sorry it hasn't turned out as you had hoped. It is almost unfair to try to compare the two motors as the 6.7 is an outright beast and leaves you feeling like you can climb anything or tow anything. Had I not been worried about the HPFP I most likely would have had one...however I also had to think about it being my commuter vehicle when not towing etc. Maybe in the future but for now I am really loving my F150.
Having owned both I don't really agree. The 6.7L Powerstroke is no doubt quite an engine, but it's pushing around a truck that weighs over 2,000 lbs more in any given configuration. Seat of the pants, the EcoBoost F150 feels faster in just about every way. Of course I can't pull hills in 6th gear like I used to with 10,000 lbs behind me, but I can do it in 4th or 5th which suits me just fine. And it's not just me, see the comparison from Consumer Reports test data. The F150 accelerates, brakes, and corners substantially faster than the 6.7L F250. And it does so with less turbo lag.

BTW you can put HID headlights in any vehicle..and you could have put them in your F350 as well....just saying.
Not safely or legally.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Attached Images  
Old 08-24-2013, 08:18 PM
efx4
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A good friend of mine has a 2013 F-350 long bed crew Lariat with the 6.7, and I was impressed with the power and how smooth the engine was. It's fuel economy was good on the dash readout too. I chose to stay with a 150 because it's my every day ride most of the time. Having MaxTow at least gives the F-150 very good towing and hauling abilities for my needs, and I haven't regretted my purchase. The Super Duty's are heavy duty beasts that should be reserved for heavy use, and if one doesn't do that, get an F-150.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:11 AM
KJ Smith
Laughing Gas
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
Had I not been worried about the HPFP I most likely would have had one...
The issues with the HPFP are way overstated.

Casual failure rate is .06 per 1000 built.

Over at the Diesel Stop, where I am a regular, they have had 3 regular members fail.

All of those failures were water induced and not covered by warranty but covered by someones insurance.

There was another guy who claimed to have a failure covered under warranty. He was not a regular, so a little salt is needed.

No need to fear the HPFP installed in the Ford 6.7.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:14 AM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ Smith
The issues with the HPFP are way overstated.

Casual failure rate is .06 per 1000 built.

Over at the Diesel Stop, where I am a regular, they have had 3 regular members fail.

All of those failures were water induced and not covered by warranty but covered by someones insurance.

There was another guy who claimed to have a failure covered under warranty. He was not a regular, so a little salt is needed.

No need to fear the HPFP installed in the Ford 6.7.
Most of the 6.7 owners know this. I know Im not losing any sleep over it

Old 08-25-2013, 05:20 AM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Having owned both I don't really agree. The 6.7L Powerstroke is no doubt quite an engine, but it's pushing around a truck that weighs over 2,000 lbs more in any given configuration. Seat of the pants, the EcoBoost F150 feels faster in just about every way. Of course I can't pull hills in 6th gear like I used to with 10,000 lbs behind me, but I can do it in 4th or 5th which suits me just fine. And it's not just me, see the comparison from Consumer Reports test data. The F150 accelerates, brakes, and corners substantially faster than the 6.7L F250. And it does so with less turbo lag.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:32 AM
wagner78
Senior User
Originally Posted by 2ndStroke

Haha, what he said.....

Old 08-25-2013, 08:38 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Originally Posted by efx4
A good friend of mine has a 2013 F-350 long bed crew Lariat with the 6.7, and I was impressed with the power and how smooth the engine was. It's fuel economy was good on the dash readout too. I chose to stay with a 150 because it's my every day ride most of the time. Having MaxTow at least gives the F-150 very good towing and hauling abilities for my needs, and I haven't regretted my purchase. The Super Duty's are heavy duty beasts that should be reserved for heavy use, and if one doesn't do that, get an F-150.

X2
This is the only reason I traded mine in(6.0). Simply had to do with the truck being way overkill for my needs now. We do have a '11 6.7 F450 that's used as a car hauler for our other business. It's pushing 150k miles on it with very few issues. It carries 16k+ lbs 6 days a week, and has since day 1. IMHO, these are two totally different animals, with their own purposes. If your needs fit a Super Duty with a 6.7, buy one. If not, the F150 is capable of plenty.