6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

anyone deleted and installs to pass smog then removes

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 04:44 AM
mikespecht
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone deleted and installs to pass smog then removes

I would love to delete the emissions crap from the truck, but I live in a location that requires a smog check once a year. I was thinking of doing a DPF/EGR delete but would have to put it back on once a year to pass smog. My question is if anyone does this, how long, or practical of a project am I looking at each year. Is it a few hours, full day or what? I would think after a few years one would get good at doing the swap back to stock then back to deleted.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:42 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,038 Likes on 2,206 Posts
The EGR block off plates back to tube will take you about 15 minutes. It's just not a difficult thing to do. The DPF will take you a couple of hours and that is if you have a hand getting the dpf in. It's heavy and awkward to maneuver under the truck. I took mine off by myself and it was really a pain. You will likely need new hardware and bolts handy at the down tube after a while. I know mine were fine to reuse once, but I can see them rusting solid or seizing up.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:10 AM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

Wow, that sounds like a pain in the ***. In my state many moons ago exhaust had to exit past the rear wheels. That meant my vette side pipes were illegal and if you got a ticket you had to get the car inspected. If the cops were smart and luckily they often were not they could require it be done at the motor vehicle department instead of just having a licensed repair facility sign off. It is good to have friends in the business. When Mopar came out with the Viper and couldn't register them in the state they sued and the state backed down. It was the only state. Man you do not need this pain in the ***. It is going to get really old.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:41 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Does your states emission tests involve a "sniff" test?

CA doesn't, so people just weld a straight pipe through the DPF, the inspectors see it, and look like its still there.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:51 AM
mikespecht
Senior User
Originally Posted by BigF350
Does your states emission tests involve a "sniff" test?

CA doesn't, so people just weld a straight pipe through the DPF, the inspectors see it, and look like its still there.

I wasn't able to take the truck in for testing the first year it was required so the wife had to do it, but I believe so. According to the DMV webpage

"Light duty diesel vehicles undergo testing on a dynamometer. The technician will also perform an opacity test and a visual inspection of the emissions components"

Old 08-19-2013, 12:12 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
The EGR block off looks easy enough, but doesn't that require a tuner then?

And can that be done without the DPF delete?

Old 08-19-2013, 12:33 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Originally Posted by porthole
The EGR block off looks easy enough, but doesn't that require a tuner then?

And can that be done without the DPF delete?
Both (EGR Delete and DPF Delete) require a tuner so the computers can be programmed to run without. Guaranted CEL otherwise.

You can run a tuner without deleting either as well (not your question, but maybe someone's question). If you buy an H&S tuner and want to run off the shelf H&S tunes (which are heavily tested and verified by H&S...most of us run these here), you have to delete both the EGR and DPF as that is how their tunes are written. However, if you go custom software via the MCC route (additional unlock code and you either write the tune or have a pro do it), you can delete one or the other along with a lot of other things.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:43 PM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SavageNFS
You can run a tuner without deleting either as well (not your question, but maybe someone's question). If you buy an H&S tuner and want to run off the shelf H&S tunes (which are heavily tested and verified by H&S...most of us run these here), you have to delete both the EGR and DPF as that is how their tunes are written.
The H&S worked for me emissions-in-place too, just not as much of an effect.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:29 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Originally Posted by TRENT310
The H&S worked for me emissions-in-place too, just not as much of an effect.
Yep, I ran H&S DPF present tunes for a while and they were very nice. I just wanted a little more

Old 08-21-2013, 09:08 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
I don't mind the DEF, I really like the clean exhaust you get with it.
Was much easier to delete the EGR on my DMax.

Add a block plate, solder in a tiny circuit kit (well hidden too) and you had a EGR block that was next to impossible to see.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:57 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't even care about the EGR that much. Should I?

I just care about the DPF, because it really eats at me when my MPG starts dropping because it's wasting a bunch of fuel to clean that stupid thing.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:53 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
EGR isn't bad... unless it clogs up, or the cooler fails. I know it was a really big issue with the 6.0l's (and a number of other diesel engines that were fitted with them when they first became an issue).

I am not sure how clogged up they can become with a 6.7 - but it is one additional component on the truck that is a liability to fail, that you can do without.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:52 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Will an EGR delete on its own significantly improve fuel mileage, reduce exhaust temps, or increase power or torque? Otherwise I'd personally just leave it. I'd love to not have to deal with the EGR, DEF, or DPF, but I'd deal with DEF all day if I could just get rid of that needless and costly DPF.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:39 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
6.7s are becoming very notorious for clogged coolers. Mine are coming off shortly.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:06 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Firekite
Will an EGR delete on its own significantly improve fuel mileage, reduce exhaust temps, or increase power or torque? Otherwise I'd personally just leave it. I'd love to not have to deal with the EGR, DEF, or DPF, but I'd deal with DEF all day if I could just get rid of that needless and costly DPF.
It might lower the exhaust temp a little, the rest is negligible.

Quick Reply: anyone deleted and installs to pass smog then removes