1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Stock truck build (pics )

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 12:01 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
That is beautiful. I really like the body colored bed strips.
That paint is a mirror finish. Fantastic work all around.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:06 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Well I just scanned a couple of pages drooling over my keyboard and was wondering. What wiring harness did you use?

Old 11-04-2014, 08:38 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
This truck is being built as close to show room stock as possible hence the painted bed strips & painted other .The bed wood should also be painted body color but I being a 3rd gen master wood worker , cabinet maker , furniture restorer / refinisher it is against my religion to paint wood - especially oak . Took some time to paint all the hardware ( 72 bed bolts ) after a local truck buddy gave them to me .All were media blasted ,primed & painted .Have more time than $$.Next is to gather up some more $$ from the business of furniture repair , refinishing , finishing , cabinet making & etc. to have the front fenders & hood painted get a battery ,Hook it up , final fine tuning & it is DONE !! A 7 1/2 yr. build .

As for the wiring harness it was purchased off the net.. Exact cloth colored coded as original . The easiest wiring job ever . Do not know the manufacturer but it fit perfect .

Get the attention to detail from my work & had a vehicle in the ISCA World of Wheels car show circuit in the early '80's. Plans are to take the 1ST-RIDE or stock truck to the ISCA show in B-ham , Ala. Feb of some yr.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:42 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by firstrider
This truck is being built as close to show room stock as possible hence the painted bed strips & painted other .The bed wood should also be painted body color but I being a 3rd gen master wood worker , cabinet maker , furniture restorer / refinisher it is against my religion to paint wood - especially oak . Took some time to paint all the hardware ( 72 bed bolts ) after a local truck buddy gave them to me .All were media blasted ,primed & painted .Have more time than $$.Next is to gather up some more $$ from the business of furniture repair , refinishing , finishing , cabinet making & etc. to have the front fenders & hood painted get a battery ,Hook it up , final fine tuning & it is DONE !! A 7 1/2 yr. build .

As for the wiring harness it was purchased off the net.. Exact cloth colored coded as original . The easiest wiring job ever . Do not know the manufacturer but it fit perfect .

Get the attention to detail from my work & had a vehicle in the ISCA World of Wheels car show circuit in the early '80's. Plans are to take the 1ST-RIDE or stock truck to the ISCA show in B-ham , Ala. Feb of some yr.
Where did you find the cloth covered wiring harness?

Thanks

Old 11-05-2014, 06:45 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Is that a powergen alternator?

How is the quality and finish?

Old 11-05-2014, 09:03 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Parts

The Gen is just that . A pro . rebuilt by a friend of mine in the auto elec. biz for 45 yrs. Detailed by firstrider.

Next time I visit the truck at the storage garage I will check wiring paper work to see where it was made & by whom .

Old 11-19-2014, 07:45 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

After searching the area made a choice on a 6V battery for the truck . While I was there had them make up a 1/0 positive cable & a 36" 1/0 black cable that connects the solenoid w/ the starter .They are sweet !! Now to get the correct length braided flat negative strap & find out the correct routing & mntg. point . Maybe some one at Daytona will have an unmolested flatty set up so I can take some pics .

Any one on here have a true stock cable set up that could take some pics & send ?

Am itching to get this truck fired up and able to move under it's own power . Am tired of dragging it behind the van !!

Old 11-19-2014, 08:36 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
The best suggestion I have to offer is keep watching that auction site. I occasionally see low mileage vehicles listed with lots of good pictures, and usually an outrageous price... but the pictures are frequently very helpful.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:09 PM
mustangmike6996
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW this truck is amazing!

Old 11-19-2014, 09:28 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

[QUOTE=mustangmike6996;14835600]WOW this truck is amazing!

I look at it as a ton of work . Almost done !! Only things left are paint on the front fenders & hood .

If you think the stock truck is amazing hunt up some pics of the hot rod trucktThe "1ST-RIDE "

Old 01-23-2015, 08:13 AM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Progress

Grill & headlights attached . Door seals & some minor wiring to do .Filled up the radiator & the heater core leaked .Imagine that coming from the Magic Air heater king ! Ordered a length of heater core. 7 3/4 x 28 . Will have 4 made up . Put some gas in it . Drained it out thru a paint filter . No trash came out of the tank .YEA .Will be able to drive soon .

Attached Images   
Old 01-23-2015, 10:01 AM
Horizonblue
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Denny, that is just beautiful. Well done!

Old 01-23-2015, 10:37 AM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is a beautiful build. I would be afraid to take it out on the road it is so well done.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:21 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Originally Posted by 49f3dls
That is a beautiful build. I would be afraid to take it out on the road it is so well done.

Had a vehicle of that type early '80's . A show car Is alot of work .The problem driving a fine show type vehicle is all the other drivers on the road looking at your ride & not paying attention to where they are going . This truck will be driven . Haven't had a custom ride to drive for 21 yrs. so m getting anxious . Took out the seat today to do some minor elec. work . It will be back in sat. A bunch room to work up under the dash with out the seat in .

Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2015, 08:40 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Wiring is complete in cab . Seat is back in .Only the headliner to go & cab is done !

Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Stock truck build (pics )