1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Range sensor or neutral safety problem? update

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 07:04 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do they have that set up? Is it just timed out?

Old 08-19-2013, 07:18 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
I couldn't honestly tell you Bill. It somehow must be as that is how it works. As you know I'm no wiring expert. It came as a harness, one hot, one ground, one to oil pressure sender, and the hookups on the pump.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:56 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Mine is like yours Darin. I don't know how Travis's and Bill's fill up?? The mule's pump will run and not fill the filters no matter how long I let it run. I don't know if you guys noticed in the OT thread but the other day my pump quit and so I had to wire it to switch key on power. The fuse was good so it has to be the inertia switch or relay that failed. When I first fired up the mare I also had to prime the filters.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:02 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
When I built my e-fuel and got it all hooked up, I don't think I primed the filters then. I just touched a wire to the battery to run the pump until I got pressure up to the regulator. I did Todd's that same way.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:09 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

That's easy to figure out Bill, you just have good luck while the rest of us have to crawl under and get diesel all over us. Then when we get into the truck the wife bitches that we smell like diesel!! I just say, what's wrong with a little 'man' perfume?? LOL

Old 08-19-2013, 08:16 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
If I didn't smell like grease or diesel fuel, my wife wouldn't know who I was! LOL!

Old 08-19-2013, 08:29 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
I had my mom with me on the way home. I got back in and said I guess you get to smell the diesel additive the rest of the way home. She said that's fine, it doesn't smell bad at all. I was kind of surprised. After it died I was thinking of what it could be, all kinds of things running through my head. She says, "are you out of fuel?" After that, I slapped myself, threw out a few cuss words, and moved on to getting it going.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:43 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
I had my mom with me on the way home. I got back in and said I guess you get to smell the diesel additive the rest of the way home. She said that's fine, it doesn't smell bad at all. I was kind of surprised. After it died I was thinking of what it could be, all kinds of things running through my head. She says, "are you out of fuel?" After that, I slapped myself, threw out a few cuss words, and moved on to getting it going.
Maybe you need to get your Mom to join FTE! LOL!!

Old 08-19-2013, 09:19 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by ReBilld
If I didn't smell like grease or diesel fuel, my wife wouldn't know who I was! LOL!
haha, she says the next camper we get, if we get another, will have an outside shower, LOL (we talked about this before, LOL)

That is so true, I have a million things fly thru my head to the point I don't know how to open the door, LOL.

Maybe you need to get your Mom to join FTE! LOL!!
That would be great, we can give her a big head about how good of a job she did raising you Darin, LOL

Old 08-19-2013, 10:30 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
When I built my e-fuel and got it all hooked up, I don't think I primed the filters then. I just touched a wire to the battery to run the pump until I got pressure up to the regulator. I did Todd's that same way.

That's all I do is run a jumper to power the pump. No filling filters or anything. It is possible to cavitate the pump and cause it to not pump fuel, but it never happens to mine.

I have run mine out of fuel one time too. Ran my jumper wire, flipped to the full tank, 5 minutes later was on the road. Also had a pump relay quit, so I had no pump. Truck still drove with no fuel pump and zero psi fuel pressure. Drove it 10-15 miles with no pump.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:56 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
Also had a pump relay quit, so I had no pump. Truck still drove with no fuel pump and zero psi fuel pressure. Drove it 10-15 miles with no pump.
Really?? When mine quit two weeks ago, I was surprised how long it ran because I wanted to get to a good spot to pull over. I was thinking all the time it was going to quit any second. It must be the pump relay of mine that quit, I hit the inertia switch and the button popped out like it should so I think its OK.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:18 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Mine didn't run long. I started loosing power dramatically, then it just died and I coasted to a stop.

Mom and Dad are kind of looking for another vehicle Bill. They are thinking another minivan so that they can haul more than 4 people comfortably. Maybe I need to tell her to get a 7.3 excursion and she can join!

Old 08-20-2013, 04:25 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Really?? When mine quit two weeks ago, I was surprised how long it ran because I wanted to get to a good spot to pull over. I was thinking all the time it was going to quit any second. It must be the pump relay of mine that quit, I hit the inertia switch and the button popped out like it should so I think its OK.
Yeah, I had to run mine without a pump at all b/c I was on the road with nothing to help hot wire the pump. Replaced the relay when I got home and bam, we got fuel pressure! FYI, one of the relays in your under hood fuse box might work to replace the fuel pump relay. I robbed one off my F-150 when that happened.

Maybe I need to tell her to get a 7.3 excursion and she can join!
This is the best idea I've heard all day!

Old 08-20-2013, 07:21 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Excursion MOM!! All right.

Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
Yeah, I had to run mine without a pump at all b/c I was on the road with nothing to help hot wire the pump. Replaced the relay when I got home and bam, we got fuel pressure! FYI, one of the relays in your under hood fuse box might work to replace the fuel pump relay. I robbed one off my F-150 when that happened.

This is the best idea I've heard all day!
I started losing power and my fuel gauge was about 20psi and dropping. I found a spot and shut it off so I really didn't look to see if it dropped to zero. Good to know about the relay, I didn't think of that.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:08 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Well, an update. I got in the truck to start it for the first time since I parked it, and it did the same thing, nothing when I turned the key. I messed with the shifter and it went off right away. I got it in the shop and checked the bolts. They are tight.

The bracket that the bolts hold is on a shaft or something as you look up the steering column. The round part of that shaft behind the bracket seems loose, it wobbles around with the shifter when I move it. Is that the lower bearing area? I've been looking on the bronco manual online and I can't tell for sure. I have NO play in the wheel up top, but quite a bit on the shifter. I can see that round part I'm talking about.

This the area I'm talking about, the bolts are the ones pictured. Not real good picture, not much room

Also, where is the neutral safety at?

Quick Reply: Range sensor or neutral safety problem? update