Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Tiffin RV 35QBA - Unusual High Pitch Noise from Engine Compartment/Dash

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 12:25 AM
Thepilchers
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad as fingers on a chalkboard

Any luck resolving this? I have a 2014 Fleetwood Storm with the EXACT same problem. When towing my Jeep Wrangler up hills, where the rpms are high and transmission has downshifted I get a high pitched whistle just as heard in the video. Can't replicate if I'm not towing anything. The high pitch is as annoying as fingers on a chalkboard.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:50 PM
Revnkevin
New User
I am still chasing it down. I know it has something to do with a vacuum leak because when it does it my AC goes default and blows out of the defroster. I have spoke to Ford and mechanic friends. It's hard to duplicate because i need hills and weight. It is starting to do it more and more. I may need a real loud stereo �� Anyone else ? It real annoying.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:19 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Im50fast
This is a well known problem. Vacuum canister with integrated check valve goes bad. There’s relatively easy homemade fix for it also.

Go to visit the van section and search there. LOTS of information in there about air flow defaulting to the defrost when the engine is under load

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum128/

I don’t know anything about the whistling noise though.
has anyone tried my suggestion ?
Its a well known problem in the E series van section.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:55 PM
Thepilchers
New User
It does sound like a vacuum problem

Since it is more of a whistle than a whine I would have to agree it leans toward a vacuum leak issue. I, however, am not having the issue with the a/c blowing through the defrost vents. I used to have that issue with an old '82 Ford Econoline van. I think the vacuum drops so low that it can't hold the vent door correctly. I'm concerned it's a transmission issue since it only occurs while pulling a load.

Old 06-10-2018, 06:13 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Thepilchers
Since it is more of a whistle than a whine I would have to agree it leans toward a vacuum leak issue. I, however, am not having the issue with the a/c blowing through the defrost vents. I used to have that issue with an old '82 Ford Econoline van. I think the vacuum drops so low that it can't hold the vent door correctly. I'm concerned it's a transmission issue since it only occurs while pulling a load.
i must have mixed up the people on this post. I thought you also had the defrosters issue.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:27 AM
Revnkevin
New User
I am reading up on the vacuum issue as you suggested. In the proses of chasing down the canister. The whine seems like it is loudest on the right front and if I roll the window down it is extremely loud outside as well as inside. Not sure it is transmission but for sure not a belt or bearing on the idler pulley.