Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Oregon Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Oregon Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Fabmandelux

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-17-2013, 09:43 AM
Senior User

waltharper is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question the 62 has been pulled into drydock for refit/overhaul

I finally hung the key on the wall and dry-docked the ole girl for refit.

She is going to get some new decking and have some rust issues that will be dealt with.

There are some upgrades that I want to think about but now sure of how to do the modifications. some of the ideas I am toying with;

1. change out the 223 for a new version of a six or jump whole hog and go with a v-6/8? w/new motor mounts and such, or even go with an automatic instead of the 4 sp.

2. If I do a complete change of engines, then I should probable do an upgrade on the front suspension. I heard that a crown vic can be a possible donor vehicle. Power steering would be a nice touch for an old man like me. (still looking at how this would lay out and work)

3. in doing #2, this would also entail changing out the steering column.

4. mount the spare tire under the rear end while the bed is off.

5. new hood hinges and realignment of the front end. seems the front clip has/was shifted to the port side by 1/4" from the last dry-dock.

6. new decking, the old pine is, well seen better days. I will lay down a new deck in the bed.

7. an a new squirt of paint, to freshen the look of the turquoise green.

I am not planning on pulling the cab off the frame but I am going to clean up the frame and give it a good coating of Black paint. We will see how much I get into the project.

There are a lot of the mod's that I have not done before. I am sure that I have the capabilities to complete them with some guidance. Just need to pick up a better welder then what I have now. my little 110V wire feed will not handle that heavy of a job on the suspension.

Decisions, decisions, what to do.

Any suggestions and guidance from the Chapter will be helpful on this refit and on what will happen the rest of the summer and into the fall.

I figure a full 6 month refit. The Ole Girl is in dry-dock now and the bed is off her.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:08 AM
Old, tired and grouchy

Old93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputation
As for motor combinations, you can't go wrong with a 302/351w hooked to a 5spd T-5 from a 5.0 Mustang GT from any year from 82-94.
Plentiful and cheap to find, and a world of aftermarket goodies support the SBF motors.
84 Ranger 4x4 2.8 V-6 5spd......492,000 miles!
Dave
Oregon Assistant Chapter leader: To join the Oregon Chapter, click HERE
Old 08-17-2013, 01:47 PM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
If you're going to do any real work with the truck, that 302 will let you down.

Orrrrrr, maybe I just expect too much from too little.

"There's no replacement for displacement."

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 08-17-2013, 02:05 PM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
My Avatar (62 Uni) had a I6 and 4 speed. When I got her it had a 390/C6 dropped in.
We pulled the engine to replace the front C6 pump seal and freshen everything up.
I towed several 50's cars across the country on an auto transport or a tow dolly
without any problem at all. There should be pic's in my albums that show the mounts and stuff.

85 XLT Bronco 351W HO 4V Dual Pipes 33X12.5 BFG's
62 Uni 390 C6 Custom Cab Sold for 9.5K
Don't just Modify it Fordify it
A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 08-17-2013, 02:23 PM
Old, tired and grouchy

Old93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
If you're going to do any real work with the truck, that 302 will let you down.

Orrrrrr, maybe I just expect too much from too little.

"There's no replacement for displacement."

Pop
Well, Marv, the 302 should be a monolithic step up from the 223.
But you are correct, if you are going to work it, go 351w and never be sorry.
Dave
Old 08-17-2013, 05:17 PM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old93junk View Post
Well, Marv, the 302 should be a monolithic step up from the 223.
But you are correct, if you are going to work it, go 351w and never be sorry.
Heck he could go with a junk yard running 292 V8 that will bolt in. Won't it?

Still be way more engine than the 223.

And I must say way cooler

But ya ain't gonna find parts at the local parts store as easy
as for a 351W for sure.

A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 08-17-2013, 06:21 PM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic y block View Post
Heck he could go with a junk yard running 292 V8 that will bolt in. Won't it?

Still be way more engine than the 223.

And I must say way cooler

But ya ain't gonna find parts at the local parts store as easy
as for a 351W for sure.
Yes, and there's that rocker shaft lubrication augmentation thing to deal with, too.

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 08-17-2013, 11:56 PM
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
Yes, and there's that rocker shaft lubrication augmentation thing to deal with, too.

Pop
A pipe "T" at the oil sending unit and some Napa fuel line, an other "T", a couple holes in the rocker covers and two clamps will fix that.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:31 AM
Post Fiend

bertha66 is a splendid one to beholdbertha66 is a splendid one to beholdbertha66 is a splendid one to beholdbertha66 is a splendid one to beholdbertha66 is a splendid one to beholdbertha66 is a splendid one to beholdbertha66 is a splendid one to behold
I have seen on the site here about thw Crow Vic swap, and I have seen on here in Prineville done; looks good and doable. If you go that way, find a exc cop car with the 4.6 engune still in and running and use it all.
1980 Bronco with 460
1976 F250 4X4 Custom with 429
Oregon Chapter Member: To join the Oregon Chapter, click HERE
Old 08-18-2013, 10:41 PM
Old, tired and grouchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertha66 View Post
I have seen on the site here about thw Crow Vic swap, and I have seen on here in Prineville done; looks good and doable. If you go that way, find a exc cop car with the 4.6 engune still in and running and use it all.
Good idea.........If you are into ECUs and wiring harnesses and electronic this and that.
I know I ain't, the simpler, the better.

There's a lot of people smarter than me about all that new stuff.
Dave
Old 08-19-2013, 09:48 AM
Post Fiend

bertha66 is a splendid one to beholdbertha66 is a splendid one to beholdbertha66 is a splendid one to beholdbertha66 is a splendid one to beholdbertha66 is a splendid one to beholdbertha66 is a splendid one to beholdbertha66 is a splendid one to behold
Good morning, If you are like Dave sell the 4.6 and just keep the front suspension.
1980 Bronco with 460
1976 F250 4X4 Custom with 429
Oregon Chapter Member: To join the Oregon Chapter, click HERE
Old 08-24-2013, 09:36 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
It's a truck Walt.......Keep the front suspension and install a 300-6. Great combination...

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 08-25-2013, 07:28 PM
Old, tired and grouchy

^^^ This suggestion probably makes the most real world, common sense.
Dave
Old 09-04-2013, 07:39 PM
Senior User

i would like to keep the straight axle but how would I get a power steering unit to do the job. I thought of setting up some kind of a power steering unit to make driving it around town a little easier. any ideas there

I would like to stay with a 300 cu in I-6 with an auto to make things easier to push the girl around in. I am sure the 300 would be plenty to make her do what I want. especially if I stick a 4 br holly on her with dual exhaust headers. she should set the tires turning easy enough. I got 4:11 gears in back already with a limited slip.

I got the bed off and wood is ordered, staying with tight knot Doug fir. that should last a few dozen years. going to replace all the bushing in the rear leaf springs while I got the bed off as well mount the rear spare tire under her.

found some rust hole in the inner corner of the cab, going to do some welding to replace lost steel. about the size of a quarter on both sides. so I am going to have to splash some paint on her. I will keep the turquoise green.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Senior User

got a lead on a donor truck. 1974 ford 1/2 ton with a 351 auto in her.

would that be a 351W? if I have the whole truck to pull parts off to transferr the engine in to my 62, would that be a wise move? Or should I wait for a 300 cuin donor truck and a little newer year?
Old 09-04-2013, 08:19 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Oregon Chapter

Tags
engine swap, front suspension, install v-6, power steering, spare tire carrier, steering column, wood bed