1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

rant mid fifty

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 04:14 PM
bk53
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rant mid fifty

man I bought an ignition from mid fifty. I was ok with trying to dremel the frigging thing out , but after it made 5 starts. the piece of junk is in about at least 12 pieces. Does anyone make an actual 1953 f100 ignition? This is the biggest 50 dollar pita pos I have ever encountered. Right now I have the truck with the brand new motor, hot wired.
So also, the guy who was putting it together apparently took my pristine Charlie NY 94 and raised the float level. He later found a mud dauber nest in the fuel line and never set the level right. I guess I'll be researching that.
She runs like a scalded cat. I gotta say. I'm trying to get a video of her running online. Funny how even my happiest days are somehow compromised. Hell, I'm used to it.

Bill

Old 08-16-2013, 04:23 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I'd question the float level on a carb shipped across the country, anyway. Would have been nice if he'd checked and recorded the existing setting tho.

How could there be a mud dauber nest INSIDE the fuel line?! or was it inside the tank?

Old 08-16-2013, 04:32 PM
1oldtimer
Elder User
I've used Mid Fifty a lot, but you have to remember they get the best REPO parts they can find and if there's a problem with them or needs a little tweaking they'll send a instruction sheet with it. The key word being REPO, the best REPO part can't even touch a used original part that's just the world we live in now. I try to find good or repairable used parts if not NOS.

That being said, call Mid Fifty they always helped me if their parts failed or didn't fit right.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:36 PM
Aus56
Elder User
Hello Bill, sorry to hear you are having trouble with your ignition. I can't help you with that, but I just had to reply as I'll explain.

I had literally just come from completing a $600 dollar odd purchase from Mid Fifty, and about a week ago one for about $400 odd, and I came here and the first thread I saw was yours, "Mid fifty rant" and I thought oh no why didn't I come here first.

Good luck with your ignition switch problem.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:47 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But the Tootsie Rolls are usually good!
Just couldn't help myself.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:56 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't think I have ever heard anything negative about Mid Fifty B4, they are a good place to do business. Like 1 oldtimer said they do there best to get the best products avail, Im sure a phone call and they will make it right. As far as getting a NOS you might try calling JOBLOT AUTOMOTIVE INC. AT (718) 468-8585, 800 221-0172, or www.joblotauto.com . They deal in a lot of NOS. , I got my NOS steering column from them. Im sure members will chime in with other sources for your part. "EDIT" I know it can get very frustrating, but your almost there so don't get discouraged , your going to be cruzin with a big smile on your face B4 you know it. Good luck my friend.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:40 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
and if you DO have problems.. call them, they usually (well always so far for me) work something out..

Sam

Old 08-16-2013, 05:44 PM
bk53
Senior User
thanks guys. The mud was in the end of the hard line coming up the firewall.
Its all OK. There is a guy here I'm learning about, Stacey Brown, perhaps he can help.

Yeah, with this float misadjusted, its really difficult to start. Have to stand on the pedal.
Turn ed the key on or off a few times and the bezel fell off. Tried to fit it all together and next thing I know I've got the bezel a lrge spring, some kind of collar and half a dozen miscellaneous bearings on the floor. This is the first thing I bought from them. It looks like they do a decent job over all. Don't mean to disparage hard working Americans. This is just a supreme act of will. I did learn something, if it is flooded, stand an the accelerator. I'll fix that float up tomorrow, find a new switch and forget all about this. I did put a dozen bags of mulch in the back for the wife, and this old truck didn't miss a beat once I got her started. Reminds me to go charge the battery.
My video camera doesn't take pics in a format I can put on photo bucket they are avchd (MTS) format. Maybe i can find a program to convert to jpeg?

thanks guys, I'm much calmer now

Sorry for the scare Neville. I'm sure your experience with mid fifty will be a positive one.
My old truck is just well, as cantankerous as I am apparently. I'm not licked yet!
Bill

Old 08-16-2013, 05:58 PM
1oldtimer
Elder User
Old 08-16-2013, 06:06 PM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
I'm glad the truck serves you well.
I just bought a NOS switch, lock, two door locks, and keys from e(vil)bay. So, they are out there. Others on this forum have noted the poor quality of repro lock inserts. Mid-Fifty is good folk. Give them a call and tell them we all said hello. They do most of their business by word-of-mouth and they know that. Consequently, I find that they are very responsive.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:15 PM
bk53
Senior User

I managed to get a short video with the wifes ipad. video is nothing special. I'll get her all tuned up over the weekend. and try again

Old 08-16-2013, 06:22 PM
edsf100
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds good.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:30 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I recognize Stacey Brown's name, from the flathead world. He's an old hand with them as I recall.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:43 PM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Aus56
Hello Bill, sorry to hear you are having trouble with your ignition. I can't help you with that, but I just had to reply as I'll explain.

I had literally just come from completing a $600 dollar odd purchase from Mid Fifty, and about a week ago one for about $400 odd, and I came here and the first thread I saw was yours, "Mid fifty rant" and I thought oh no why didn't I come here first.

Good luck with your ignition switch problem.
I wouldn't worry about your order from Mid Fifty, I've been buying parts for the past few years and Mid Fifty is a class act. One bad part bond to slip thru the cracks some time.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:45 PM
dadgonebroke
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Mid Fifty parts

MidFifty has been great with me. I've bought parts from all the big F100 suppliers in the last 20 years and their customer service is NUMBER 1!

Quick Reply: rant mid fifty