Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-16-2013, 10:12 AM
Senior User

Harlan Hobbs is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Harlan Hobbs is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
460 is it overheating, E350 Pathfinder 4x4 Conversion. Circumstances make it always "under load"

OK....just acquired my first 4x4 after a car accident landed my happy *** in a wheelchair. Its a 1989 E350 Pathfinder conversion all decked out for me to get in and drive. One of the first things I always do is get a mechanical temp gauge since I want to know what is really going on. I idle or downhill coast at 185-190 However, the majority of the time I am running at 205-213 on a really hot day in SoCal it nears 220 and I am being overly cautious not to hurt my new toy. Figure it is always "under load" with a liftgate, my 300lb wheelchair, my ***, and those of a friend or 2 always running with me. Oh yea, its also on 33" tires. Are these temps acceptable?
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:27 PM

Beechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to behold
Hi Harlan!

Welcome to FTE!......It is with the greatest respect that I want to convey my thoughts, wishes for you.....and your family.
With regards to the ride...._Very Nice!!!!! (I'm a SoCal guy myself)
With regards to the temps......remember they have 190 degree thermostats in them...which can be "off" as much as 10 degrees.....but with a max temp at 220, IMHO...you are in good shape!
Old 08-18-2013, 03:07 AM
Senior User

Harlan Hobbs is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Harlan Hobbs is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
Hi Harlan!

Welcome to FTE!......It is with the greatest respect that I want to convey my thoughts, wishes for you.....and your family.
With regards to the ride...._Very Nice!!!!! (I'm a SoCal guy myself)
With regards to the temps......remember they have 190 degree thermostats in them...which can be "off" as much as 10 degrees.....but with a max temp at 220, IMHO...you are in good shape!
Thanks for helping me rest easier.... after so many cars I would buy and drive till death because I felt no connection with them, it is refreshing to have a vehicle that I cant wait to get in a drive!! I am babying the hell outta it.

Where in SoCal?

Updated photos coming in 1 hour!!
Old 08-18-2013, 04:33 AM
Senior User

Some pics of yesterdays changes.... will put up daylights pics in morning.
I hate red interior and looking at the grandmas LTD style speediometer..GPS to the rescue!
Any guesses on why the removable floor shifter??

OK... I am proud to be an American!

...and yes I will get to it..... I paid the fees all I have to do is smog it and go for inspection since its from out of state.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:48 PM

Beechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlan Hobbs View Post
Thanks for helping me rest easier.... after so many cars I would buy and drive till death because I felt no connection with them, it is refreshing to have a vehicle that I cant wait to get in a drive!! I am babying the hell outta it.

Where in SoCal?

Updated photos coming in 1 hour!!
Los Angeles....
Old 08-18-2013, 05:48 PM