Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt tensioner wobble. Also burning coolant...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 08:20 PM
Beef150
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HrdDrv
I would run it at temp, and pull each plug wire one at a time. If the exhaust smell changes...read that plug compared to the others...
Actually just changed plugs a few weeks ago and the old ones came out looking whitish (running hot and lean?) Plug #3 keeps wanting to wobble loose even though I used a torque wrench to correct specs. When it is in there good and tight the truck never misfires.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:05 AM
blkF250HD
Posting Guru
Is your belt tensioner original? If so, replace it. They wear out over time and don't hold proper tension. Get a good one from Gates or from Ford. I put on a Dayco and it was crooked out of the box. You mentioned that one spark plug keeps backing out- are the threads in the head damaged at all? How are you bleeding the cooling system? You may have some trapped air pockets, so the coolant is low each time you check it. Coolant in the exhaust is typically an intake gasket or head gasket (as previously mentioned).

Old 08-21-2013, 11:45 AM
Beef150
Freshman User
Originally Posted by blkF250HD
Is your belt tensioner original? If so, replace it. They wear out over time and don't hold proper tension. Get a good one from Gates or from Ford. I put on a Dayco and it was crooked out of the box. You mentioned that one spark plug keeps backing out- are the threads in the head damaged at all? How are you bleeding the cooling system? You may have some trapped air pockets, so the coolant is low each time you check it. Coolant in the exhaust is typically an intake gasket or head gasket (as previously mentioned).
Thanks for the tip about the Dayco. Now I remember having to loosen that plug a little to get the socket out. For some reason the socket was getting stuck on there when fully tightened. I will keep trying to tighten it to spec without getting the socket jammed. Trying to burp air out by running it with the cap off for a little while but not sure I'm doing it right. Last night it was leaking pretty bad from the petcock so I had to handle that little emergency so I could drive it home. The cooling system is all jacked up. I wish I could meet the PO and give them a good smack! One of my heater inlet hoses is FULL of what looks like mud. I can't even flush it/jam a wire all the way through it's so thick.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:25 PM
blkF250HD
Posting Guru
That's odd that the socket is getting stuck. You're using a 16mm spark plug socket, correct? Is there an excessive amount of rust build up on the head around the plug hole?

IMO if your cooling system is that full of junk, I would drain it completely and replace the hoses. By repeatedly trying to flush it you run the risk of clogging the radiator, heater core, or both. Also replace the thermostat since it could be getting clogged with crud. The best tool I've used for burping the system is called a Spill-Free Funnel. The kit runs $20-$30 and includes the funnel, plug, and adapters to cover 90% of what you'll encounter.

FWIW, if somebody dumped head gasket fix or stop-leak in the system it will cause you some grief. If everything is packed full of muck you may have to replace the radiator and heater core as well. Rent a pressure tester from the local parts store and pressure test the system and the cap. That will help you find the leak.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:34 PM
Beef150
Freshman User
Originally Posted by blkF250HD
That's odd that the socket is getting stuck. You're using a 16mm spark plug socket, correct? Is there an excessive amount of rust build up on the head around the plug hole?

IMO if your cooling system is that full of junk, I would drain it completely and replace the hoses. By repeatedly trying to flush it you run the risk of clogging the radiator, heater core, or both. Also replace the thermostat since it could be getting clogged with crud. The best tool I've used for burping the system is called a Spill-Free Funnel. The kit runs $20-$30 and includes the funnel, plug, and adapters to cover 90% of what you'll encounter.

FWIW, if somebody dumped head gasket fix or stop-leak in the system it will cause you some grief. If everything is packed full of muck you may have to replace the radiator and heater core as well. Rent a pressure tester from the local parts store and pressure test the system and the cap. That will help you find the leak.
Yeah I'm using a regular spark plug socket. No rust but it's kinda cruddy. Guess I can clean it out and try again. Or maybe I should invest in a one of those super-deep sockets.

I just replaced the thermostat when I did the flush. I will need to do another flush soon to try and clear all that rust and when I do I will get some new hoses.

The stuff clogging it up looks like that Barr's Stop-Leak junk. Like a fine brown sediment. The petcock had a leak in it and I think the previous owner couldn't figure that out so they filled it with that junk. New petcock cost me $3 and now leak free!