Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally have pics of the '90!

Old 08-14-2013, 09:40 PM
Bowtie_Schmowtie
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Finally have pics of the '90!

Even though I have owned it for almost three years now, I have neglected to post pics of it (and my computer fried). During this time, I have done a ton of stuff to it- most of which you can't see in these photos except for the wheels, tires,and camper top. I think I have pictures of it when I first got it- along with pics of a lot of the work I did- but I have to look for them tomorrow. Hopefully I saved them on a disk before the old computer died.

Anyway, he's nothing spectacular, but nonetheless...say hello to Bruce. More pics will be on the way shortly.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:23 PM
Big_Zach
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You seem to have the only 87-96 with a marginally straight bumper. What is this witchcraft

Old 08-14-2013, 11:36 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
We have the same exhaust turn out spot..lol

Old 08-14-2013, 11:47 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Big_Zach
You seem to have the only 87-96 with a marginally straight bumper. What is this witchcraft
Mines pretty strait...

To the OP, good rig you got there. Looks like he serves you well.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:09 AM
Bowtie_Schmowtie
Elder User
Zach, I have noticed that too since I started looking at others around my area...but believe me, plenty of other things on this beast have made up for that.

Sidewinder...yeah, I got kinda tired of the original tailpipe flopping around in all of its rusty crapulent glory. So I cut it back to good pipe about a foot behind the cat, ran a stainless flex pipe to another section of pipe, and bolted it to one of the bed reinforcing channels with a piece of 3/8 steel flat stock. Pilot stainless tip. Sounds really good under throttle...idles really quietly...that surprised me.

Evan...thanks. It is a pretty good rig. Had to put a new computer in it last weekend, but as of right now the only really major things I am looking at now are the transmission (noisy in everything...I swear it whines even when it's just sitting in the yard) and still have issues to work out bodywise before I can paint it (probably will be flat camo). It was a PA truck...'nuf said...but it's really not that bad...mostly cab floor.

BTW- some of you may detect that I am crossing generations here... yes, that is a factory '70s canopy (with a hastily and as it turns out, poorly done plywood hatch)that I bought for $10 and rattle-canned. And yes, those are late '70s-early '80s factory bullethole rims with the original '90 centers. The hood ornament came off of a 1975 Mack and was put on my '73 before I bought it. I'm probably going to repaint it silver when the rest of the truck is painted.

Like I said, I will be posting pics here as frequently as I can. I'll get some interior shots on here tomorrow.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:27 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Btw, are you near Boone, NC or Johnson City, TN?

I'm only about 1.5-2 hrs from the VA line.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:36 AM
Big_Zach
Freshman User
[QUOTE=Evan_P;13437717]Mines pretty strait...

Evan; you have the 92-97's the 87-91's came from the factory crooked.

To Bowtie; He really doesn't seem to have much wrong with him body-wise, I've seen trucks a lot worse. Still better than any Chevy. Just looks like rust in the normal places for a salt-state truck, rocker panels, fenders and cab floor.
What are those symmetrical dots on your hood?

Old 08-15-2013, 12:54 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

I'm going to venture that it at one time had a bug guard and those are the little resin/rubber "Stops" that keep it from hitting the hood and paint

Old 08-15-2013, 01:29 AM
Big_Zach
Freshman User
Makes sense as he'd take that off for his hood ornament.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:58 AM
Bowtie_Schmowtie
Elder User
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
Btw, are you near Boone, NC or Johnson City, TN?

I'm only about 1.5-2 hrs from the VA line.
I'm about 35 miles straight down 321 from Boone... I can be on the Blue Ridge Parkway in around 30 minutes.

Zach... I have substantial rust around the sill panel screws holding the door edge of the carpet down on both sides, the inner rear cab corner on the driver's side is rusted away (I can put my hand through the hole from the inside and touch the underside of the floor), there is significant rust underneath on the inside of the rocker panels (thanks to the running boards that were on it, which I have scrapped), the rear fenders have rust through (I attribute most of that to the trim), and the radiator support is crusty but still feels pretty solid. I don't think there is any of it that I can't repair. Probably won't worry too much about the rear fenders for the time being...I just want to get the cab fixed up first.

I'm going to pull the carpet out on Friday anyway (after I get the truck inspected) and I'll take pictures of the damage. Maybe some folks on here can tell me the best way to fix the rust without a welder.

All in all, though, I'll agree that it's not really that bad. It's a thousand times better than my '73, which seems to get lighter every time I drive it. On really quiet nights, standing close enough and at just the right angle, I'm convinced I can hear it rusting. The plus side is that it's got great ventilation on hot days.

Yes, it did have a bug guard on it when I bought it. I still have it and even though it is cracked I may put it back on because the crack is only visible close up. When I took it off, I was actually surprised that the lower lip of the hood was not rusted at all...considering all of the gunk and moisture that was sitting down there...

And Sidewinder, the "stops" didn't "stop" the deflector from chafing the paint in the center, as you can see in the third photo.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:15 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Bowtie_Schmowtie

And Sidewinder, the ALLEDGED "stops" didn't "stop" the deflector from chafing the paint in the center, as you can see in the third photo.
Fixed it for ya!

They're honestly a waste man...

Check your PM's btw.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:13 AM
Krisverde
Elder User
[QUOTE=Big_Zach;13437776]
Originally Posted by Evan_P
Mines pretty strait...
[

Evan; you have the 92-97's the 87-91's came from the factory crooked.

To Bowtie; He really doesn't seem to have much wrong with him body-wise, I've seen trucks a lot worse. Still better than any Chevy. Just looks like rust in the normal places for a salt-state truck, rocker panels, fenders and cab floor.
What are those symmetrical dots on your hood?
My 89 has a straight front bumper. However my 91 does not

Old 08-15-2013, 10:38 AM
Big_Zach
Freshman User
[QUOTE=Krisverde;13437873]
Originally Posted by Big_Zach

My 89 has a straight front bumper. However my 91 does not
I can walk out onto my driveway and look at a 88 and a 90 both hanging down about one to one and a half inches, I'v been thinking about just putting my bottle jack underneath the bracket and bending it up.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:38 PM
Bowtie_Schmowtie
Elder User
Well, no old pics...I checked everywhere. Oh well, I'll just restart from here.

INTERIOR PHOTOS AS PROMISED...it's a little dirty inside because I have been working with it and on it.

AND NOW THE RUST...AT LEAST WHAT I CAN GET TO RIGHT NOW...

AND FINALLY THE EXHAUST.

I'll try to get some more pictures tomorrow.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Big_Zach
Freshman User
Bowtie, it looks like you have very little frame rust, you just need some cut out panels for your fenders. And floor board patches. I'm not so big a fan of the dog poo brown interior though. And could you please tell me who designed trucks without damn cup holders?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally have pics of the '90!