1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Hard to find Dana 60!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 04:04 PM
roshan
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard to find Dana 60!

Hello guys, I was looking at my stock timken rearend on my 52 merc m3 and realized they need new brake cylinders, pads and drums. So I thought may be I should just swap in a per-1972 f250 dana 60 rear end. From what I`ve read, this swap requires no mods.

I called around a bunch of places in Canada. Seems like some guys want 500 bucks or more for this. Do you guys know of any place in Canada I can find this and get it shipped to Saskatoon?

What other rear ends could I look for that will have the stock 8 bolt 6.5 bolt pattern that will need minimum mods? GM/Chev probably?

Thanks for the tips guys

Old 08-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,351 Likes on 1,110 Posts
Give Amigos Auto Wrecking in Clavet a try.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:58 PM
roshan
Junior User
Originally Posted by Fomoko1
Give Amigos Auto Wrecking in Clavet a try.
Already did. Also called Brock, Adams and all other auto wreckers near by

Old 08-13-2013, 08:13 PM
aussiecowboy
Elder User
Pay the $500! I had to buy a whole truck to get one in Aus and then rebuild it, it's a $2000 axle to me now. It will bolt in no problem but the driveshaft will need shortening by approx 2".

Old 08-13-2013, 09:51 PM
roshan
Junior User
Originally Posted by aussiecowboy
Pay the $500! I had to buy a whole truck to get one in Aus and then rebuild it, it's a $2000 axle to me now. It will bolt in no problem but the driveshaft will need shortening by approx 2".
Oh that's crazy. I think these dana 60's shouldnt be too hard to find around here. I'm goin to test my patience a little bit and work on other stuff. When I find one, I def wont pay 500 bucks or anything close to that much for it. lol.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:01 PM
BrizNasty
Senior User
Originally Posted by roshan
Hello guys, I was looking at my stock timken rearend on my 52 merc m3 and realized they need new brake cylinders, pads and drums. So I thought may be I should just swap in a per-1972 f250 dana 60 rear end. From what I`ve read, this swap requires no mods.

I called around a bunch of places in Canada. Seems like some guys want 500 bucks or more for this. Do you guys know of any place in Canada I can find this and get it shipped to Saskatoon?

What other rear ends could I look for that will have the stock 8 bolt 6.5 bolt pattern that will need minimum mods? GM/Chev probably?

Thanks for the tips guys
You'll be looking specifically for a '67-'72, not just a pre '72 though they may work, I'm just positive on the 67-72.

If you're willing to go for a bit of a drive they can be had from wreckers around Edmonton for about $400 but then you're going to spend more than $100 in fuel to pick one up so it's not worth it unless you're already headed this way.

I'm always keeping an eye out for them and would be willing to pick-up and ship you one if you or I find one near here and I do head out that way every couple of months or so as well so if you find one and can be patient there's always that.

Something to consider, there is one relatively inexpensive mod that will have to be done, the drive shaft will need to be shortened. Pat's Driveline in Edmonton will cut/re-weld/balance your current shaft for $100, you should be able to find someone in Saskatoon for a similar price.

Good luck in the search, let me know if I can be of any help.

Rob

Old 08-13-2013, 11:23 PM
roshan
Junior User
Originally Posted by BrizNasty
You'll be looking specifically for a '67-'72, not just a pre '72 though they may work, I'm just positive on the 67-72.

If you're willing to go for a bit of a drive they can be had from wreckers around Edmonton for about $400 but then you're going to spend more than $100 in fuel to pick one up so it's not worth it unless you're already headed this way.

I'm always keeping an eye out for them and would be willing to pick-up and ship you one if you or I find one near here and I do head out that way every couple of months or so as well so if you find one and can be patient there's always that.

Something to consider, there is one relatively inexpensive mod that will have to be done, the drive shaft will need to be shortened. Pat's Driveline in Edmonton will cut/re-weld/balance your current shaft for $100, you should be able to find someone in Saskatoon for a similar price.

Good luck in the search, let me know if I can be of any help.

Rob
Hi Rob,

Thanks a lot for the offer. Yes I checked the interchange and I'm looking for 68-72 F250 rear axle.

Great to know that you're in Edmonton and are willing to help. I found some via car-part.com in Alberta. Will phone them tomorrow and see if I can find something.

About the driveshaft. Well, I'm swapping my flathead for a 302 with C4. My truck currently has a split (2 part) drive shaft. I will inherently have to shorten the shaft (or shafts) or get another single drive shaft and get that shortened to length. There are some guys here in Saskatoon who can do that for me for around $100.

Will ping you when I find something near Edmonton.

Thanks again!

Old 08-13-2013, 11:29 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Ouch. On those prices. I see a few of them whenever I check on the local tear aparts. ( salt lake) Upull it places. I think I got my 9" for about $120 ? (Been a while) they would have half price days which helped. Also a core charge, but I dont think they would be much more than $200 give or take. Of course thats with you rolling in the mud to pull it.

Good luck

Old 08-13-2013, 11:30 PM
aussiecowboy
Elder User
For those prices I would have rolled in pig s%*t to pull it. A shower is cheap.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:46 AM
roshan
Junior User
So I found a couple of rear axles .. around $450.. but the caveat is.. they have a gear ratio of 4.88!... My stock timken axle has 4.7.. I'm now debating if I should just rebuild the brakes on my timken and use that till it gives out. Has anyone done this?

Old 08-14-2013, 01:47 PM
aussiecowboy
Elder User
But you can get a ring and pinion for the dana in pretty much any ratio you want. In the Timken you can get the original or a 4.11:1.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:49 PM
Kazoo
Senior User
Damn, did I get a good deal. Bought my rear, 1985 Sterling from a F-350 stake bed, The man I purchased it from removed it, delivered it and he and his helper unloaded it and placed it inside my garage. All for a 100 bucks. Included four wheels and tires, which aint much good but they hold air. Had the local drive shaft shop shorten the rear driveshaft and a new rear u-joint for less than $200. $60 for new u-bolts and I am good to go. Didn't add in new brakes and wheel cylinders because I would have done that to any rear.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:53 PM
roshan
Junior User
Originally Posted by Kazoo
Damn, did I get a good deal. Bought my rear, 1985 Sterling from a F-350 stake bed, The man I purchased it from removed it, delivered it and he and his helper unloaded it and placed it inside my garage. All for a 100 bucks. Included four wheels and tires, which aint much good but they hold air. Had the local drive shaft shop shorten the rear driveshaft and a new rear u-joint for less than $200. $60 for new u-bolts and I am good to go. Didn't add in new brakes and wheel cylinders because I would have done that to any rear.
I'm super jealous.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:56 PM
aussiecowboy
Elder User
I looked at the Stirling option but it was going to be significantly wider than the original track width, the dana 60 is wider but only by a small amount.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:17 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,351 Likes on 1,110 Posts
I`m not sure if this has a complete rear axle or not, I called but there was no answer so I left a message and will let you know what I find out. It will be a bit wider but if you can live with that it might work out for you as it`s local and it has the 8 bolt wheels.
Utility Truck Trailor - Saskatchewan Cargo, Utility Trailers For Sale - Kijiji Saskatchewan Canada.

Quick Reply: Hard to find Dana 60!