6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Sync update

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 09:30 AM
n3hcp
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sync update

I was notified by Ford of an update to the Sync in my truck to version 3.6. While looking over the instructions to do the update I discovered that the update will clear all my saved navigation points. This is a problem for me. I have a number of saved points that do not correspond to any address that would be easily found again and reentered after the update. Most are places out in the boondocks that were saved when I was there. Since there is no way to enter coordinates into Sync, I will loose those places until I can physically go there again.

Has any one done the update and, if so, is it worth the hassle? Here's the list of the updates:

Information display on the home screen for HD, Sirius (if equipped), and FM radio sources
Simplified graphics and improved usability
Enhanced voice destination entry for SD Card Navigation (if equipped)
Improved Navigation vehicle positioning (if equipped)
Rear view camera guidelines set to ON by default (if equipped)
Updated SYNC/device compatibility information

Old 08-13-2013, 11:07 AM
Leonandlisa
Tuned
I did the updates and although I only have (6) addresses saved in favorites they are all still there. I honestly haven't noticed a difference but I just did the update a couple of days ago.

On another note, if you go to www.mapquest.com and you find your location on the map you can send that information to your truck, then you go to your truck and connect to services and it will prompt you that it has received a new destination, when it comes up save it to your favorites. That is how I set up my hunting destinations that don't have an address.

You may already know that but if not it is a great feature since we can't plug in coordinates.

Leon

Old 08-13-2013, 01:50 PM
n3hcp
Senior User
OK, I went ahead and did the update. All my navigation stuff is still there.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:52 PM
CarlT100
Postmaster
That is good news!

Old 08-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Joe_planet
Senior User
I did an update to all my nav stuff about 3 months ago. I have a 2011 truck and update it to the 2013 disk. Everything is still there.. I didnt notice much difference, except now every road i drive on is actually on my nav, where before I would be driving on a 4 lane highway and on my nav screen it looked like i was driving in the boonies lol.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Armycop
Junior User
Originally Posted by Joe_planet
I did an update to all my nav stuff about 3 months ago. I have a 2011 truck and update it to the 2013 disk. Everything is still there.. I didnt notice much difference, except now every road i drive on is actually on my nav, where before I would be driving on a 4 lane highway and on my nav screen it looked like i was driving in the boonies lol.
Where did you get the 2013 disk for the nav update? I too am in need of more maps for my new-to-me 2011.

Oh, and hi, new F250 owner here!

Old 08-13-2013, 03:46 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome....
Which nav do you have MFT or ???

You can always use your vin to register at the ford owners site

Personalized Vehicle Owner Information

and they will gladly tell you wha tall you have and can update....

good luck !

Old 08-14-2013, 11:23 AM
CarlT100
Postmaster
Your purchase the disc through the website and they mail it to you.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:58 AM
Rayil
5th Wheeling
UPdates

Gotta love Ford - pay 50K for truck along with over 2K for nav and you have to pay for updates. I for one thought that OEM Nav stinks so I purchased the Kenwood - tired of waiting for updates. I guess they just released these updates?

The new Kenwood has Garmin with free updates for life. I really wish ford would just stop trying to re-invent the wheel - haha. I think they would be better off stick with vehicle improvement and leaving the tech things like NAV to experts. Just my 2 cents

Old 08-15-2013, 07:23 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Rayil
Gotta love Ford - pay 50K for truck along with over 2K for nav and you have to pay for updates. I for one thought that OEM Nav stinks so I purchased the Kenwood - tired of waiting for updates. I guess they just released these updates?

The new Kenwood has Garmin with free updates for life. I really wish ford would just stop trying to re-invent the wheel - haha. I think they would be better off stick with vehicle improvement and leaving the tech things like NAV to experts. Just my 2 cents
their enhancement model is slow, as there WAS no competition. just 5 yrs ago. Apple nav and Google maps have completely changed the customer expectations landscape. Garmin/Magellan with free updates was a dream,
now its normal.

I put a Panasonic nav in my 08, no free updates. I just bought a 2012 with OEM nav, no free updates.. thats ok, I will use google maps instead anyhow.

Ford just announced a new nav that uses your phone for the logic and displays on the auto screen.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...#axzz2c2VYGMSC

but not on the older sold versions.. only on the new. I just bought a vehicle with the OEM nav installed, but I doubt I'll use it.

the panasonic navigated us thru downtown Chicago at 5pm rush hour, while hauling a trailer behind our dually. My daughters garmin (and Google maps would have) took them around the city, 3 miles further distance for 2 hours less time.

And the community crowd effort on WAZE will cause some serious disruption in the existing map content ownership model.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:19 AM
Rayil
5th Wheeling
Out of touch

This is prefect example of how out-of-touch the manuf are with technology and capabilities. There are so slow to adopt new features, I assume to long design cycle, that when they put things in the vehicle, it's already out of date. They should really put things in that can be update so they can constantly update features and capabilities. Instead they try to be the neat techy kid and provide this stuff and than it's outdated by the time the vehicle hits street. I love this whole sync crap - it was suppose to be updatable, but my 2011 F250 - still no updates. Really - why have web site for it than. It almost feels like a long train that is trying to make it up the hill.

Originally Posted by sdetweil
their enhancement model is slow, as there WAS no competition. just 5 yrs ago. Apple nav and Google maps have completely changed the customer expectations landscape. Garmin/Magellan with free updates was a dream,
now its normal.

I put a Panasonic nav in my 08, no free updates. I just bought a 2012 with OEM nav, no free updates.. thats ok, I will use google maps instead anyhow.

Ford just announced a new nav that uses your phone for the logic and displays on the auto screen.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...#axzz2c2VYGMSC

but not on the older sold versions.. only on the new. I just bought a vehicle with the OEM nav installed, but I doubt I'll use it.

the panasonic navigated us thru downtown Chicago at 5pm rush hour, while hauling a trailer behind our dually. My daughters garmin (and Google maps would have) took them around the city, 3 miles further distance for 2 hours less time.

And the community crowd effort on WAZE will cause some serious disruption in the existing map content ownership model.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:45 AM
n3hcp
Senior User
On another topic, did anyone have a problem reporting a successful update back to Ford? I can't seem to get that to work. I updated to the latest version of Java as Ford suggested and have tried to do the report on 2 different computers, both with the same result, a pop-up that says "unsuccessful upload".

Old 08-15-2013, 09:55 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Rayil
Instead they try to be the neat techy kid and provide this stuff and than it's outdated by the time the vehicle hits street.
no.. they put in things they think customers asked for and will pay for, and they can keep the costs down, and the profit up. (that IS the company object, profit).

it just so happens that we are in a massively disruptive technology cycle. it is ripping everything apart. iPhone/iPad, and the followers (android, ...whatever) have completely changed everything. fixed function cameras are losing sales every day. paper manuals are going away every day.
deposit check with a phone?!.. ATM sales are down.

you name it. I want backup cameras for my 5thwheel, hitch area, and front bumper as well as rear.. I think I can do that with new technology and display it on my iPad (phone, tablet, galaxy s4, ...) that is just sitting there. I won't pay for the lockpick.. and their slow update to add multiple cameras.

but taking an idea, making it manufacturable on a large scale (100,000s), supportable, profitable, AND disruptively replaceable is just about impossible.
Sam

Old 08-15-2013, 03:46 PM
IronHorsePilot
Junior User
Are you talking a "SYNC" update or a Nav GPS update?

Old 08-16-2013, 01:08 PM
Joe_planet
Senior User
i believe i got mine on navigation.com
the ford nav is a clarion unit

Quick Reply: Sync update