EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

Is this trailer to much for FIL's truck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 07:33 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Is this trailer to much for FIL's truck?

My father in law wants to get an RV travel trailer. The model he wants is listed here:
Surveyor West Travel Trailer by Forest River

Unloaded weight is 6680 according to the brochure but the dealership had the unit weighed when it arrived and it's sitting right around 6800 lbs dry. Add 1/2 tank of water and propane and it will be over 7,000 lbs. The website doesn't list the GVWR yet but the sticker on the trailer says 10,800 lbs for GVWR. I've owned a couple of fifth wheels in the past and I seem to add about 2500 lbs of stuff (not including the toys) so I figure my father in law should plan for at least that much stuff as well. So, the trailer will weigh around 9500 lbs fully loaded (our best guess at this time).

His truck is a F-150 Ecoboost Super Crew 2x4 with the 3.55 gear and tow package. Max conventional tow rating is 9800 lbs according to the manuals. Per the door sticker, the GVWR is 7160, the RAWR is 3850 and FAWR is 3450. He went and weighed his truck with all his stuff loaded up in the cab and bed and it weighs 6060 lbs (3200 front and 2860 rear). So, he has about 1100 lbs of payload left but really only 990 lbs on the rear axle. Even then, the numbers work because we estimate about 850-950 lbs of tongue weight and he will be using a weight distributing hitch so some of that will be on the front axle anyway.

GCVWR is 15,000....less the 6060 lbs of the truck leaves 8940 lbs so he is over on the total combined weight (if the trailer actually weighs 9500 lbs when loaded).

In general the numbers work, however it's right at the max capacity on almost all areas. Do these trucks respond well when loaded right up to the maximum? Is he asking for trouble?
Right about now he is kicking himself for not getting the max tow package and 3.73 gears but I think we all have been in that situation one time or another.
I know my 7.3 can safely be operated right at it's maximum tow rating and do it 24/7/365 with no complaints, even up long steep grades. Is the Ecoboost the same or should he look for something lighter?

We have towed lighter trailers with his truck and it does awesome. Very impressive for a half ton truck, heck very impressive for any size truck. But he is nervous about something larger and heavier. He does not want a new truck. He wants to get something that his truck can handle and do it without any 'white knuckle moments' (or at least as few as possible...).

I estimate he will use his RV about 3 times a year but almost every place we go has some serious mountain passes here in Arizona so the truck will need to be able to handle steep mountain climbs in summer temps. Any real world experience will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Old 08-13-2013, 11:50 AM
Mr. Mcbeevee
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My camper weighs the same as what your FIL is looking at and my wifes truck does not have any trouble with it. Hers does have the 3.73, but it does not have the max tow package. The steepest grade I have pulled with it is 221 up Linville Mountain and it did fine. 55 mph was not a problem at all. This is probally not as steep as what you have in the Rockies, but my gut feeling is that your FIL would be fine with the camper he is looking at.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:00 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Mcbeevee
My camper weighs the same as what your FIL is looking at and my wifes truck does not have any trouble with it. Hers does have the 3.73, but it does not have the max tow package. The steepest grade I have pulled with it is 221 up Linville Mountain and it did fine. 55 mph was not a problem at all. This is probally not as steep as what you have in the Rockies, but my gut feeling is that your FIL would be fine with the camper he is looking at.
Thank you. I will share the info.

Anyone else towing a 9-10k lb trailer with 3.55 gears?

Old 10-13-2013, 03:33 PM
aeroskies
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tows a 7200# nicely

My 2011 F150 with the 3.5L EcoBoost has the 3.55 and I tow a Keystone Passport 3220BH without any problems. Loaded weight on the TT is about 7200 lbs. I never tow water in the holding tanks.

BTW the manufacturer's listed trailer weight does not include the battery or propane so that is likely where your extra weight comes from.

Last edited by aeroskies; 10-13-2013 at 03:33 PM. Reason: type
Old 08-25-2014, 10:11 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
You might want to check into legal issues when towing a trailer over the maximum limits for your vehicle. If you get stopped at one of those road side scales, you could get fined. If you get in an accident you may have additional liability due to the exceeding the limits of your vehicle. Just something to consider.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:16 PM
firedaniel
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Mine dry is 6500lbs so it is alittle lighter than yours. Get a good weight distribution hitch and it will be fine. I have heard putting LT or E rated tires on the truck will really help with the larger trailers.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:47 AM
wlqualls78
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eb towing

My work takes me all over texas and I pull a 1998 artic fox fifthwheel. Gross weight is 11200 but thats a guestimate but darn close. The empty weight on the trailer is 9200 lbs and from Odessa to Fort Worth I have had no issues even at 90 mph on the toll road. Only issue is cab clearance and I added a set of Timbren overloads well and 12 mpg.
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
My father in law wants to get an RV travel trailer. The model he wants is listed here:
Surveyor West Travel Trailer by Forest River

Unloaded weight is 6680 according to the brochure but the dealership had the unit weighed when it arrived and it's sitting right around 6800 lbs dry. Add 1/2 tank of water and propane and it will be over 7,000 lbs. The website doesn't list the GVWR yet but the sticker on the trailer says 10,800 lbs for GVWR. I've owned a couple of fifth wheels in the past and I seem to add about 2500 lbs of stuff (not including the toys) so I figure my father in law should plan for at least that much stuff as well. So, the trailer will weigh around 9500 lbs fully loaded (our best guess at this time).

His truck is a F-150 Ecoboost Super Crew 2x4 with the 3.55 gear and tow package. Max conventional tow rating is 9800 lbs according to the manuals. Per the door sticker, the GVWR is 7160, the RAWR is 3850 and FAWR is 3450. He went and weighed his truck with all his stuff loaded up in the cab and bed and it weighs 6060 lbs (3200 front and 2860 rear). So, he has about 1100 lbs of payload left but really only 990 lbs on the rear axle. Even then, the numbers work because we estimate about 850-950 lbs of tongue weight and he will be using a weight distributing hitch so some of that will be on the front axle anyway.

GCVWR is 15,000....less the 6060 lbs of the truck leaves 8940 lbs so he is over on the total combined weight (if the trailer actually weighs 9500 lbs when loaded).

In general the numbers work, however it's right at the max capacity on almost all areas. Do these trucks respond well when loaded right up to the maximum? Is he asking for trouble?
Right about now he is kicking himself for not getting the max tow package and 3.73 gears but I think we all have been in that situation one time or another.
I know my 7.3 can safely be operated right at it's maximum tow rating and do it 24/7/365 with no complaints, even up long steep grades. Is the Ecoboost the same or should he look for something lighter?

We have towed lighter trailers with his truck and it does awesome. Very impressive for a half ton truck, heck very impressive for any size truck. But he is nervous about something larger and heavier. He does not want a new truck. He wants to get something that his truck can handle and do it without any 'white knuckle moments' (or at least as few as possible...).

I estimate he will use his RV about 3 times a year but almost every place we go has some serious mountain passes here in Arizona so the truck will need to be able to handle steep mountain climbs in summer temps. Any real world experience will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Old 10-08-2014, 07:45 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One thing to appreciate related to altitude is that the turbo-ed ecoboost will not be affected by the thin air nearly as much as a naturally aspirated engine... so the climbs won't be as much of an issue as the decent if the rv is more than the truck can handle...

compare the rear axle weight rating and the hitch/pin weight that will be on it...

if you can go to a cat scale to find exact numbers --> CAT Scale Locator | CAT Scale

Old 07-09-2015, 09:38 AM
doublenot7
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to have similar trailer conditions with my f150. No mountains here but plenty assanine drivers. Your FIL is right to be concerned and he will not enjoy this set up. This very scenario is why I now have a f250.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:52 AM
airm4n
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Like doublenot7 said a bigger truck would be preferable. Simply put when the trailer weighs more than the truck and you get into situations where you need to stop fast or into high winds and the trailer starts rocking you will quickly find out why a larger truck is preferable. Better to have a safety margin.